Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Model X sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This evening in Ocean Beach ran into this beauty ...

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The very early Model Ss had no badge on the right side of the trunk. I think they started putting the badges on around regular production car 1000 or 2000. I don't believe any of the sigs had it.

Later than that, at least for non-Performance cars. My 85 is low 6000s and has no badging. I think they started the 85 and 60 badging shortly thereafter.

Later than that, at least for non-Performance cars. My 85 is low 6000s and has no badging. I think they started the 85 and 60 badging shortly thereafter.
Yeah, it was in the 7000s or 8000s when they started putting them on at the factory. However, anyone who received their car without a badge could request the service center to add it, aside from the 40 which they never made a badge for.

It is popular, but Tesla also batches colors so they don't need to keep changing the paint in the paint station for each car. I just got my S and there were at least 3 other people in the Model S delivery thread who had pearl white Ss like mine that went into production at the same time as mine.

But paint is done after body-in-white, which is well before the drivetrain and interior. So plenty of opportunities for the batch to get jumbled ... unless they all happened to have similiar options ordered?

But paint is done after body-in-white, which is well before the drivetrain and interior. So plenty of opportunities for the batch to get jumbled ... unless they all happened to have similiar options ordered?

I saw a truck load of Teslas headed south last fall when I was on I-5 in California. In that case they were all black. The truck load I saw yesterday at the Portland service center were all white.

People have been trying to figure out exactly what Tesla's build batching is for years and nobody has figured out the magic formula, but they do appear to batch by color. I also got cloth seats and I noted a number of "vegan" Model Ss have been built in the last 10 days, so it appears they batched by upholstery. My car has some leather, so it isn't all vegan, but they appear to be building a bunch of cloth seat cars together. The darker ones may have been painted with batches of other cars of similar colors and "parked" until a batch of cloth seat cars could be put together.