Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Model X sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@dirkhh Tend to agree. When I was shopping for a sedan a few years ago, I noted the same in the Mercedes, Audi and BWM line ups. Mostly subdued colors. It may be their history realizing what colors sell at the $100K price point in the US. I would imagine Tesla eliminated the colors that weren't selling, or moved to those colors other manufacturers saw a higher preference.

I think at the upper levels the buyers are very conservative with their color choices- hence the black/white/gray limitation. We were going to get the red GL and the day went to place the order we got told that MB had ended that color, it was no longer available. My first choice in an S would have been green but that's gone now also. The sig red is beautiful but not accessible any more for new. When Tesla dropped brown and green the discussion centered around the fact that those were the two lowest color counts. Not sure how much it costs to keep a paint option on the line, but there was certainly a cost factor to the decision to cut the colors. Hopefully they will keep red and blue for a while, I could possibly do some of the dark grays but hope never to get a white or black car.

Wish we could get the medium silver they discontinued on the S. Saw an S with it yesterday sitting next to a Midnight X. It was a great color. Maybe they will bring it back soon as they added back in the regular silver late in the Sig cycle.

Silver has been back for awhile for the S I think....If you mean "Silver Metallic"?

I prefer the white and red on the X, same as I do on the S. The new headlights really pop on the the X in red.

Now that we have stolen this thread: I wish there were more solid colors, including a medium gray. I am just not into the metallics (red, blue, titanium or silver) and I am replacing a car that is basically Midnight Silver so I don't need to repeat that. Not into solid white and I don't have time to wash a black car all the time.

The cars I now own are red, blue & yellow! Nice set but I think the yellow one will go away soon. I have begun really looking at the cars in any given parking lot. It normally goes something like: black, black, beige, silver, white, black, white, grey, hey!- a green one, then grey, white, white, black, grey. You get the point. My question is, do manufacturers offer us those colors because that's what we want to buy? or, do we buy those colors because that's what we're offered?

image.jpeg

From FB group.....somebody also posted a video in the SC with 7+ X getting ready for delivery.

making an assumption that he person who posted is posting of their VIN but cannot confirm

Returning to all of the posts on colors, mostly metalic variations of beige to my eyes, why can't there be some different options of solid colors. Reading the earlier posts on this thread it is apparent that some of the MX colors are so close that, depending on the light, there is little agreement on what the color is, silvers especially. Let's have some "knock them out" color.

Reservered MX not configured yet.

I really like this car the more I look at it. The nose, which I hated at first really grew on me, I think it looks incredibly slick now. I still love the S nose cone, and like it on the prototype X, but this nose is sweet. Either one will be great for me on the 3
I'm convinced that's the direction Tesla is going for the 3. They kind of used the X as a way to get people used to the idea of such a departure of design that doesn't pretend to be an ICE car, so they can be even more radical with the design of the 3 to reduce drag further without a huge backlash.

I saw a car carrier yesterday parked at a rest stop on I-10 just east of El Paso (going east). There were at least 2 Model X's on the carrier; it was hard to pay close attention when I was driving by at 85mph in traffic. A couple of hours later, I saw a rocket driving west on I-10; you hardly ever see a rocket being carted down the road.

I'm convinced that's the direction Tesla is going for the 3. They kind of used the X as a way to get people used to the idea of such a departure of design that doesn't pretend to be an ICE car, so they can be even more radical with the design of the 3 to reduce drag further without a huge backlash.

Interesting theory, but I think it'll be the opposite. The Model 3 is supposed to be the car for the masses. It is the product that is supposed to catapult tesla from niche boutique into major player (I.e. Major threat to the ICE industry). And given the fact that there are many people who are HUGE fans of tesla that are anti-falcon wing doors, anti-helicopter windshield, anti-premium package, and anti-many of the bells and whistles that make this car unique, Tesla cannot afford to risk alienating the masses with a radical departure from the design the masses expect. Look at how most of the other electrics on the market today (other than tesla) are perceived as ugly because of their departure from traditional ICE design.

Elon himself has stated (paraphrasing) that tesla needs to show some restraint in the design of the model 3 and cannot take so many risks. The Model 3 is the biggest challenge facing Tesla in the future. Not to go super nerd on you, but 'Tis the season: Luke could never be a Jedi until he faced Vader. And so it is with Tesla: in order to accomplish its corporate mission (to accelerate the advancement of alternative energy in the automotive industry), they must compete with the big ICE companies. It's going to be the true make or break time in Tesla's history.

- - - Updated - - -

The cars I now own are red, blue & yellow! Nice set but I think the yellow one will go away soon. I have begun really looking at the cars in any given parking lot. It normally goes something like: black, black, beige, silver, white, black, white, grey, hey!- a green one, then grey, white, white, black, grey. You get the point. My question is, do manufacturers offer us those colors because that's what we want to buy? or, do we buy those colors because that's what we're offered?

Perhaps a bit of both. Manufacturers make the colors that will appeal to the masses (80/20 rule). Given that there are people that don't like the falcon wing doors ("too showy!"), there are also people who don't want colors that might be perceived as showy. And nothing is worse than producing a few colors that designers are wild about, that Joe and Josephine q. Public leave sitting on a dealer's lot unsold. so, from a corporate standpoint, it doesn't pay to take those risks and offer special colors. Because if someone wants to buy the car, they'll buy it despite it not being offered in fancy colors. "They can have the Model T in any color they want,... as long as it's black!"