Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random unauthorized Full self driving capability upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it just takes some direct experience to understand that there is NO LEGAL REQUIREMENT to support you, the customer. its ALL up to the bank. they have all the power and you have, essentially, none.

that's how it works in the real world. the real world is not a disney fairy tale where good always wins.

Actually, this is not how it works for credit cards in the US. First, there's FCBC, a federal law that limits your liability for unauthorized transactions made on credit cards. Second, there're payment networks' zero liability guarantees - those are not issued by banks and not subject to their control; for example, if a bank wants to issue Visa credit cards, they have to adhere to Visa's rules. Third, the initial burden of proof for any chargeback is on the merchant, not the customer. When a customer disputes a transaction, the funds are immediately withdrawn from the merchant's account, and then the bank asks the merchant to either accept the chargeback or to challenge it and provide evidence.

Source: 4 years of dealing with credit card chargebacks on a daily basis, processed a few thousands chargeback evidence requests from all sorts of banks around the world.

kind of ashamed to admit it, but it was wells fargo. again, I was with them for a very long time and assumed that being a customer for that long would count for something. they 'knew' my purchase history, etc. in fact, I even got a text message from them when THEIR fraud detector logic got triggered. I called them when I got the text, spent a good 15 minutes on the phone with them going over every line item on that bill and I thought 'that was that'. about a month later, I got a letter saying 'we concluded it was your fault'. (btw, I suspect they intentionally delayed sending that letter so that any evidence (video from stores) would be over-written. really evil company.)

we need to LOUDLY request that tesla provide a safety mechanism (could be a PIN code or email confirmation that you have to click on and maybe even confirm with CVV info) on this in-app purchase.

I'd even suggest a user option to fully disable in-app purchases (for tesla, at least).

I 100% agree with this. There should definitely be some sort of 2 step verification for a purchase of this magnitude. pocket dials with cell phones happen all the time. I’m sure pocket purchases could happen just as easy.

Reactions: Sherlo
Same thing happened to me. I ordered the performance upgrade on the 24th for my Model 3, paid the 2k but that was it.
Upon checking my credit card statement this morning, there was a charge for $7542. I NEVER authorized this charge. In fact, I really don't need the car to drive for me anyways. I have been driving for 50 years without that function.

I called Tesla but ZERO help. The agent Alex said I did order it. NO I DID NOT. Never have and never will.

The said they cannot refund the purchase....but I did not purchase it.

So livid at Tesla. I called my credit card company to report fraud since there was an unauthorized charge on my credit card.

They will look into it but I am going into a dealership tomorrow to talk with a person face to face and not the Chat person online.

This is real BS. It's exactly why I don't have autopay on any of my accounts. When companies have your credit card info this crap can happen.

So frustrated.

Reactions: Stel
I don't even trust cellphone companies; so I'm on pre-pay instead of monthly pay. that way, there's no way I can get hit with overage or bandwidth fees.

I might consider removing my credit card from tesla. $7k is a lot to risk and so far, we have not had any suitable explanation why this is happening.

the worst part is that tesla is turning a blind eye to it all!!!

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I wonder if its possible to call the credit card company, pro-actively, and give them a heads-up that if such a charge does happen, to blacklist it or reject it as fraud. I might call mine just to find out if this is possible. it may also be possible to get a call from the credit card company if a charge beyond X amount is attempted.

wonder how we can ensure our safety in this madness?

Tesla really needs to remove the ability to order FSD from the app.

And, they need to put protections to make sure a purchase is next to impossible to do accidentally via the website. Lastly they need to add some window of time where you can cancel it, and get a full refund.

If they don't take these steps then there going to lose faith.

At work I keep an email of pro's and con's of having a Tesla so I can send it to anyone who is interested in them. Pretty high on this list under Con's is the refusal of Tesla to refund an accidental purchase of FSD, and that they make it so easy to accidentally order.

The fact that this is an issue points to some serious management issues going on at Tesla.

Like it used to be that we knew who to email to get something like this straightened out. But, these days no one knows who to email. We're basically left with tweeting elon.

wonder how we can ensure our safety in this madness?

Like you said earlier....I just removed my CC on my payment file.

Thanks for the heads up. 20200102_194211.jpg

But, what happens when you supercharge?

Can you have a credit card on file for charging while also not having a credit card on file for expensive SW upgrades?

Hmmm, you have a valid point. I am not sure what happens when there is no CC on file when SCing

Can't try - I still have free miles from referral for 3, and X has free SCing.

Tesla can answer