Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range and charging cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I have not taken a long trip yet, so I don’t know. But this guy is complaining about the range and the cost of charging:

What is your experience with these two big complaints (that caused him to sell his Y)? Thanks!

No one ever said that SC charging costs were whole lot cheaper than gas, 90% the cost of gas sounds right. Generally it is much cheaper to charge at home than to use a SC. Some can charge for free at work if they are lucky enough to have that perquisite.

The vehicle is a Model Y Performance with 21" wheels right? He could be driving at 80 MPH, then complain he is getting such poor driving efficiency.

For what appears to be a car fanatic, this video creator appears to have never heard of headlight angle adjustment.

While it's surprising that his Y did not come properly adjusted from the factory, headlights commonly go out of adjustment on cars, motorcycles, and bicycles, which is why it is often verified at mandatory yearly inspections (depending on jurisdiction).

The Tesla Model 3/Y is noteworthy that headlight adjustment is available directly from the screen. Here's a video to demonstrate how to tune the headlight angle yourself:

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I think these are legitimate concerns, and you need to be prepared to deal with it. I've sometimes taken to estimate each % of battery level as representing 2 miles as a safe number - i.e. roughly 50% efficiency - it is very unlikely it will drop below this, and is a very good security blanket - you'll need it when doing difficult road trip across mountains and varying weather conditions (e.g. snowy Sierra Nevada to Death Valley etc - very common if you drive around California).

Here's a reddit thread that describes similar concerns about range issues, although again this can be mitigated by investing in a Long Range vehicle as opposed to SR+ or performance - The SR+ is bad if you do roadtrips. : teslamotors

Cost wise I have to agree, there's no real savings when you go on road trips - only when you drive around / near your home.

Having said all that, it's possible to strategize - and you'll need the ChaDeMo adapter. For example, I live in San Francisco, and I've discovered that you can charge for free at Volta stations - there's a 50kW DCFC charger at Stonestown Galleria, so you save some money if you charge there, and it's nice to hang around the area.

Out on a road trip - in the Lake Tahoe region, look out for the "DriveTheArc" stations (there's an app) - pair that with ChaDeMo stations and you can get free charging too. Note that you'll tradeoff in time when you do this, so plan accordingly.

Otherwise there are very practical reasons why you'll need a ChaDeMo adapter on road trips. Say, for example, you need to drive from Las Vegas to Great Basin National Park. You'll notice there are no superchargers on the way and Tesla will try to route you to Utah - a massive detour - but there are ChaDeMo stations from ChargePoint and Greenlots. Get familiar with the PlugShare app and plan accordingly. Set up abetterrouteplanner to factor in ChaDeMo connectors (and get the $450 adapter of course).

If you plan accordingly, road trips with the Model Y are viable, and you can do it somewhat economically. The time cost is unavoidable though - until electric charging gets more widespread, charging is faster and battery capacities are higher (since with a higher battery capacity you'll be able to sustain a fast charge for longer). I would say the experience is worthwhile, but EVs have way to go before matching the versatility of a gas car on really difficult road trips.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I think these are legitimate concerns, and you need to be prepared to deal with it. I've sometimes taken to estimate each % of battery level as representing 2 miles as a safe number - i.e. roughly 50% efficiency - it is very unlikely it will drop below this, and is a very good security blanket - you'll need it when doing difficult road trip across mountains and varying weather conditions (e.g. snowy Sierra Nevada to Death Valley etc - very common if you drive around California).

Here's a reddit thread that describes similar concerns about range issues, although again this can be mitigated by investing in a Long Range vehicle as opposed to SR+ or performance - The SR+ is bad if you do roadtrips. : teslamotors

Cost wise I have to agree, there's no real savings when you go on road trips - only when you drive around / near your home.

Having said all that, it's possible to strategize - and you'll need the ChaDeMo adapter. For example, I live in San Francisco, and I've discovered that you can charge for free at Volta stations - there's a 50kW DCFC charger at Stonestown Galleria, so you save some money if you charge there, and it's nice to hang around the area.

Out on a road trip - in the Lake Tahoe region, look out for the "DriveTheArc" stations (there's an app) - pair that with ChaDeMo stations and you can get free charging too. Note that you'll tradeoff in time when you do this, so plan accordingly.

Otherwise there are very practical reasons why you'll need a ChaDeMo adapter on road trips. Say, for example, you need to drive from Las Vegas to Great Basin National Park. You'll notice there are no superchargers on the way and Tesla will try to route you to Utah - a massive detour - but there are ChaDeMo stations from ChargePoint and Greenlots. Get familiar with the PlugShare app and plan accordingly. Set up abetterrouteplanner to factor in ChaDeMo connectors (and get the $450 adapter of course).

If you plan accordingly, road trips with the Model Y are viable, and you can do it somewhat economically. The time cost is unavoidable though - until electric charging gets more widespread, charging is faster and battery capacities are higher (since with a higher battery capacity you'll be able to sustain a fast charge for longer). I would say the experience is worthwhile, but EVs have way to go before matching the versatility of a gas car on really difficult road trips.

Picking up next week and was trying figure out if the ChaDeMo adapter comes with the vehicle or if I have to purchase? I am not sure if I need one (at least until the pandemic hits) but after that I will be on the road a lot more for business to various locations that may not have a convenient SC site nearby.

Picking up next week and was trying figure out if the ChaDeMo adapter comes with the vehicle or if I have to purchase? I am not sure if I need one (at least until the pandemic hits) but after that I will be on the road a lot more for business to various locations that may not have a convenient SC site nearby.

Pretty sure you’ll have to buy it separately, costs $450. I’d also recommend downloading the PlugShare app and check out stations along your business routes.

If you live in the SF Bay area you are in luck. The EVgo network now supports Tesla charging via EVgo integrated Tesla-CHAdemMO adapters. More here: Tesla vehicles can soon be charged at EVgo charging stations in the US
Had one at a local EVGo charger, but someone must have stolen the adapter :(

It was attached via an extendable cable, it never looked very secure to me.

BTW: this was rather pointless anyway with a supercharger half a mile away, only useful if you have free EVGo charging.

Hi,
I have not taken a long trip yet, so I don’t know. But this guy is complaining about the range and the cost of charging:

What is your experience with these two big complaints (that caused him to sell his Y)? Thanks!

I agree with this guy...he's got VERY valid points. I mentioned in another thread...this car is just a great in town cruiser, but definitely not a long range driver....it's terrible...aside from all the other issues with this car.

• Disagree
Reactions: alexcue and Rocky_H