Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Anxiety: Anyone recall the '70's gas crisis?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_2718.PNG
Google '70's gas crisis. When you see the image of a man standing with his gas lawn mower in a sea of steel cars wonder what that must have been like. Waiting hours for ~2 gallons of fuel. Contrast that with solar powered free supercharging.
I think about this when I consider why I'm not concerned about towing a trailer with a model X.

I think about this when I consider why I'm not concerned about towing a trailer with a model X.
I was in university during the 70's gas shortages and remember them well. And in Oregon last week for the eclipse some rural gas stations ran out of gasoline.

I also plan to tow a trailer with my X starting next February. Not concerned about charging issues, it just takes some planning. As the Supercharger network continues to expand, and as destination chargers proliferate, it is only going to get easier.

Reactions: Rossy
I was in university during the 70's gas shortages and remember them well. And in Oregon last week for the eclipse some rural gas stations ran out of gasoline.

I also plan to tow a trailer with my X starting next February. Not concerned about charging issues, it just takes some planning. As the Supercharger network continues to expand, and as destination chargers proliferate, it is only going to get easier.
I wouldn't call it easier. If you have a trailer it's going to be harder as not every station has a trailer friendly charger (or that it's unoccupied), not to mention all the Model 3s on the road by then. Good luck.

Third-party lockable gas caps become popular back then to prevent people from siphoning the precious fuel from your car. A local newspaper columnist (Herb Caen) reported a story about how a driver violated social etiquette by cutting in front of all the other cars queued up for their turn at the gas pump. The driver ignored protestations from all those already in line, so one of them took matters into his own hands. He removed the lockable gas cap from his own car, walked up to the other car, placed his cap on the other car, locked it, walked over to the curb, and dropped the key down the storm drain. A chorus of cheers ensued from those in line.

I don't know if this incident actually occurred or not (since Caen took submissions of local-interest stories from the public), but it was a feel-good story at the time when people were frustrated with the "gas crisis" and tempers flared over the misbehavior of who felt more entitled than others in the same situation.

• Informative
Reactions: Rossy
IMG_3098.jpg
My dad cried bullsh*t, there isn't any shortage of gas. He went to the local Lincoln Mercury dealership and *stole* a Mercury Colony Park wagon.

He was right.

In short order, there was plenty of fuel.

The car looked similar to this: (with a shout out to the movie Vacation).

Reactions: nime01 and Rossy
I can vividly remember having even and odd numbered license plate days at the gas station to refill. Also recall the lines around the block. Expecting a gas price spike due to Hurricane Harvey has already been anticipated because of numerous tankers and oil production facilities in Texas having to shut down in anticipate of Harvey's landfall.

We got through the gas crisis with little concern. Our mechanic was a family friend and he had a sign up saying "No Gas". He only sold gas to his customers. People would come in the get the car "checked", they would open the hood and inspect the engine, and then fill the car while it was there. We did that through the entire crisis.

I started a thread in the energy thread and posited if the gas shortage goes on for very long, it could help EV sales.

View attachment 244053 My dad cried bullsh*t, there isn't any shortage of gas. He went to the local Lincoln Mercury dealership and *stole* a Mercury Colony Park wagon.

He was right.

In short order, there was plenty of fuel.

The car looked similar to this: (with a shout out to the movie Vacation).
Ah, the Wagon Queen Family Truckster!

I wonder how my new X would look with this trim level.. who will be the first?