Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Extension Stupidity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does seem like the change in size did in a lot of the features I was interested in, mid-gate w/pass thru window, 6 seater, motorcycle bed length, tail-gate ramp. That was my fantasy CT for $40K. Mate that with an Airstream and tour the country in unpainted glory, or just sitting unaffected out in the weather waiting for you to go on the next trip. That's the dream. Technically it could still be done but the cost and the range means I can't afford the Airstream to go with it. The original camper tent with slide out kitchen isn't gonna be so nice if I can't take advantage of the HVAC in the truck. I don't see the advantage of the new tent over a $55 tent I mount on the ground.

Maybe someone will make a good camper out of the CT, but I have been very comfortable in my TM3 with a full mattress for the last 5 years. Now if I could just find an old set of matching folding second row seats for my n2m Model X to replace the captain's chairs. That's the dream!

It does seem like the change in size did in a lot of the features I was interested in, mid-gate w/pass thru window, 6 seater, motorcycle bed length, tail-gate ramp. That was my fantasy CT for $40K. Mate that with an Airstream and tour the country in unpainted glory, or just sitting unaffected out in the weather waiting for you to go on the next trip. That's the dream. Technically it could still be done but the cost and the range means I can't afford the Airstream to go with it. The original camper tent with slide out kitchen isn't gonna be so nice if I can't take advantage of the HVAC in the truck. I don't see the advantage of the new tent over a $55 tent I mount on the ground.

Maybe someone will make a good camper out of the CT, but I have been very comfortable in my TM3 with a full mattress for the last 5 years. Now if I could just find an old set of matching folding second row seats for my n2m Model X to replace the captain's chairs. That's the dream!
I think the midgate isn't possible since Tesla chose to move forward with a permanent rollup bedcover - which is stored in the same area as where the midgate would exist. It's either/or in other words. This wouldn't change with a 5% larger footprint in other words. Any HVAC for integrated campers would have to come from the plugs in the bed unfortunately.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I think the midgate isn't possible since Tesla chose to move forward with a permanent rollup bedcover - which is stored in the same area as where the midgate would exist. It's either/or in other words. This wouldn't change with a 5% larger footprint in other words. Any HVAC for integrated campers would have to come from the plugs in the bed unfortunately.
There wasn't a midgate in any version of the CT. It was something Elon said was possible on Twitter...that's the extent of where people thought it was coming.

To those saying it's not a miss, there's a reason why so many are upset about not getting 500 miles of range, which translates to potentially >250 miles when towing. They wanted the CT to replace the need for ICE trucks...and it doesn't. That doesn't mean it's not a viable option for some, but it's not going to take down the F150 ICE with it's price and range.

The battery extender, which may or may not be delivered, was an afterthought. It's obviously not something that will be easily removable due to the size and connection to the HV battery, hence while it has to be done at a SC. It couldn't go into the Pirate Bay because it's not large enough and it would throw off the balance of the truck. Plus, they typically don't extend the batter to the rear of the vehicle to protect it in wrecks. (not all responses are to you @HitchHiker71

Interesting perspective. Only wannabe "truck" owners complain about a truck not fitting in a standard garage IMHO. I've owned full size pickups since 2012 - never once parked one in any garage as they are simply too large to fit in any standard garage size. That tells us something about the demographic for this vehicle right out of the gate. Good points all around. My only quibble is the hitch mounted full size spare - that works for off-roading - much like what Jeep does, but it doesn't work when towing heavy loads - as the hitch is already in use - and many folks load up the bed with other equipment when towing a large camper for example. Sure you can find versions that still allow towing - but those are often compromise type solutions that aren't ideal for some use cases. I'd much prefer having an option to store the full size spare in the storage compartment under the bed.
I’ll counter the hitch response. You’re right, most don’t allow heavy towing. However, this absolutely does. Tow Rated

Sadly, the RDU/subframe/HV pack is preventing the spare from hiding under the bed like the R1T allows.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
The larger truck very much had a retracting cover AND was large enough to sleep in.

Some were in the loop verrrrrry early in this dev process. 😶‍🌫️

Attachments

• IMG_1828.jpeg
    IMG_1828.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 30
The larger truck very much had a retracting cover AND was large enough to sleep in.

Some were in the loop verrrrrry early in this dev process. 😶‍🌫️
But it didn't have a Midgate.

There was never a midgate in the CT. Multiple people on the CT forum who work in Austin said it wasn't going to be there at all stages, but most ignored them because they wanted it.

I suspect the tonneau was always the reason it wasn't going to have one.

I think shrinking the truck, which shrunk the bed, frunk, and interior a bit was a bad move.

Last edited:
The use case for the range extender is really for those that tow frequently or like to go off-roading/camping for days at a time. You don't need it for road tripping given the Supercharger network and, if you have a CCS adapter, the non-Tesla network, reliability concerns aside.
I agree... but wouldn't a solar plus (small) battery work better?
Range extension battery is a high cost in dollars, space and weight for a rare use case.

Interesting perspective. Only wannabe "truck" owners complain about a truck not fitting in a standard garage IMHO. I've owned full size pickups since 2012 - never once parked one in any garage as they are simply too large to fit in any standard garage size. That tells us something about the demographic for this vehicle right out of the gate. Good points all around. My only quibble is the hitch mounted full size spare - that works for off-roading - much like what Jeep does, but it doesn't work when towing heavy loads - as the hitch is already in use - and many folks load up the bed with other equipment when towing a large camper for example. Sure you can find versions that still allow towing - but those are often compromise type solutions that aren't ideal for some use cases. I'd much prefer having an option to store the full size spare in the storage compartment under the bed.

Not American, don't know trucks or towing... just wondering - if you need a full size spare when doing some proper towing, isn't there likely some place in or on whatever you're towing (camper, boat, whatever) to chuck a spare?

Wonder if they'd entertain a Cybertruck XL in the future - 6-seater, longer bed, longer range options, etc. All the stuff it was meant to have. Probably not, doesn't seem very Tesla. A bit strange they punched a bit below an F150 in some headline figures like tow capacity, payload, interior space, dimensions, weight. Isn't the 150 like the measuring stick of proper trucks?

I don’t understand the range extension. You could easily use an aluminum battery which is non rechargeable but give 1000km/ or 625 miles of additional range which would solve the range problem.

How often would you use it? Maybe once per year, but then the roadtrip ends up not needing a super charger at all.

I would prefer to buy that, ie a battery hybrid alternative that is fully recyclable.
An aluminum battery that isn’t rechargeable? Whiskey tango foxtrot are you talking about?

I'm sure Tesla engineers just forgot about that compartment. I disagree it looks even close to fitting.

oh stop. You didn't read my above post.

I said - If you take the whole drum out - it might fit. Just like I did on my Model 3. When I took the drum out. There was additional room. Even more when I took the drum in the frunk out.

I would take whatever range that space provides and keep my bed flat. That would be my suggestion. Thats all. It's not earth shattering.

Reactions: doghousePVD
oh stop. You didn't read my above post.

I said - If you take the whole drum out - it might fit. Just like I did on my Model 3.
It won't.

There's no reason to play what if. Tesla decided that the size they are offering won't work there. The render is just that, a render.

The CT bed is not the same as your trunk and that compartment would need to be larger length and width wise.

There's no reason to argue about it. Either you think Tesla Engineers are idiots and forgot about that compartment or it doesn't work there.