Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Extension Stupidity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please note, I’m not saying that the engineers are idiots. Sometimes we can all get stuck in one type of thinking that it is hard to think outside the box.

An aluminum battery is not as sustainable in terms of Teslas main goal. But you have to weigh up the use case of lugging around all the extra weight for the bigger battery compared to a single use battery that can be exchanged and doesn’t need coolant or huge weight/volume.

When I bought my standard range model Y everyone asked me how I would cope with having such a limited range. My response is that I rarely do more than 400km in a day.

I would love a range extension in any of our cars as sometimes the long distance journeys are a pain to those that don’t want to compromise.

How many times have I used a supercharger in my ownership? 2-3 times a year.

I also believe that it would be much more complicated an install than just connecting wiring.

If this range extension is ANYTHING like current Tesla battery packs - there needs to be consideration for liquid cooling and a temp sensors and fluid flow sensors and etc.

Reactions: TessP100D
I also believe that it would be much more complicated an install than just connecting wiring.

If this range extension is ANYTHING like current Tesla battery packs - there needs to be consideration for liquid cooling and a temp sensors and fluid flow sensors and etc.
Not a matter of if. It will have cooling. Question is whether it needs all the electronic control units or if the standard pack has them built in.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
I'm simply asking how. I am asking if it will have cooling.

I'm not suggesting anything while only asking a question.

Nevermind.
The fact that you are asking if a battery in a modern ev needs cooling when you have put out all types of technical data relating to the CT which has been very helpful is quite confusing. You know it needs it, you know it will have it. You know Tesla has said the extender can only been installed by service centers. All together, this tells you that it will have cooling and all kinds of other connections and that isn't just a plug and play external battery pack.

The fact that you are asking if a battery in a modern ev needs cooling when you have put out all types of technical data relating to the CT which has been very helpful is quite confusing. You know it needs it, you know it will have it. You know Tesla has said the extender can only been installed by service centers. All together, this tells you that it will have cooling and all kinds of other connections and that isn't just a plug and play external battery pack.
Seems like a major kludge.
(Also takes up space and weight.)

Seems like a major kludge.
(Also takes up space and weight.)
Tesla would not need to have this and charge in excess of 16,000 and destroy the bed space capacity if they would have only produced what they promised in 2019. Elon said.. 500 miles of range for 69,900. Then his next statement was, no you can order it.

Thats Elon… total BS

• Disagree
Reactions: DanDi58 and mspohr
Tesla would not need to have this and charge in excess of 16,000 and destroy the bed space capacity if they would have only produced what they promised in 2019. Elon said.. 500 miles of range for 69,900. Then his next statement was, no you can order it.

Thats Elon… total BS
Y’all wanted a smaller truck for your garage, where did you think the space came from?
5% shrinkage overall translates to how much on the battery compartment side?

How does one begin to think that the prototype and the final version are the same truck?

Y’all wanted a smaller truck for your garage, where did you think the space came from?
5% shrinkage overall translates to how much on the battery compartment side?

How does one begin to think that the prototype and the final version are the same truck?

I don't know if any shrinkage at all automatically contributes to battery pack size.

Roadster 2 is supposedly half the size of the Cybertruck with twice the range.

More conclusively - my P3D is measurably smaller that the CT with identical range.

Reactions: mspohr
Looks like they made too many engineering compromises. One would think that Tesla's brilliant engineers could come up with something better.
I couldn’t imagine trying to fit 70lbs of ‘zomg 50k truck’ wants, into a ‘50lb $80k bean counter’ bag.

Try a rivian, it’s not better. The CT is perfect if you need space and range, supercharge network is plentiful. Especially with new grant money. Is you need range and towing, the bed is the least of your concern.

I’ve spent the last 8mo and roughly 15k miles towing with an R1S, I welcome my invite to sell this thing for cheap.

I couldn’t imagine trying to fit 70lbs of ‘zomg 50k truck’ wants, into a ‘50lb $80k bean counter’ bag.

Try a rivian, it’s not better. The CT is perfect if you need space and range, supercharge network is plentiful. Especially with new grant money. Is you need range and towing, the bed is the least of your concern.

I’ve spent the last 8mo and roughly 15k miles towing with an R1S, I welcome my invite to sell this thing for cheap.
Which is why 500 real world miles of range is the key. Without it’s just a toy.

I don't know if any shrinkage at all automatically contributes to battery pack size.

Roadster 2 is supposedly half the size of the Cybertruck with twice the range.

More conclusively - my P3D is measurably smaller that the CT with identical range.
If you think Roadster 2 will be anywhere near what was promised then let me tell you about the Cybertruck 2... 1,000 mile range at $50k.

Feel sorry for those who shelled out $250k and have nothing to speak for it. Although, $250k on vaporware is their own fault.

I don't think we know enough yet to be sure. Chances are you are right - but we just don't know enough yet as to how exactly the range extender pack will work. It might not be directly accessible to the main pack - it might simply feed power into the main pack on a persistent basis as the main pack drains from usage for example - in which case it may not require near the amount of management or cooling that the main pack requires, not unlike how a generator would be used to charge the main pack on the Ramcharger 1500 (which will use the venerable Pentastar V6 to charge the main pack continuously). I honestly think this actually hasn't all been worked out by Tesla yet - which is why they are forecasting no range extender availability until late 2024, which likely really means sometime in 2025.

Reactions: henderrj