Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, first post on this site. I searched around for a similar question and didn't find an answer so sorry if I missed something and feel free to point me in the right direction.

I have a model s 75d that I bought national the end of August. It has about 7000 miles on it. I drive about 50 miles a day and supercharge maybe once a month when I'm doing a longer road trip. I also charged every night up to 80 to 90% and time it so usually finishes charging when I'm about to drive in the morning.

So, I noticed about two months ago that when I fully charge instead of getting 259 rated miles, i max out somewhere between 235 and 245. Even when I charge to 90%, that number has slowly been dropping. I read on some pages the idea of running the battery low and then bring it back up and did that twice with no real change in total mileage. I've been talking to Tesla service and they are saying this is in the normal range of degradation, which would mean at 2:45 that's 5.4% in six months. They also told me that the battery in the first 6 months will lose quite a bit of range and then settle out at a lower number. They ran diagnostics on the battery and said everything is checked out. Anyway, from what I can tell from other people's experience on this forum and others, most people don't really lose that much percentage for a few years. In general I am not someone to worry about the battery but the drop seemed suddensand significant. Anyway, just checking to see if this is abnormal or common experience, thanks guys!

Quite normal.
S75 here. About the same mileage now after my first year. About 5% is what I’ve seen and studies show that to be normal and then typically levels out for many years to come. Plus measuring power or better way to describe it “estimating” power in a batter is complicated and moves around a bit.
Nothing to worry about for your new car.
Welcome to the forums.

The degradation curve looks something like this:

screen-shot-2018-04-14-at-2-54-02-pm

Strange. I’ve read this “recalibration get the BMS” many times in last couple years but I’ve never seen it change anything for me.
I’ve driven from 90% to actual 0% and slow charged back to 100%
ended up with exact same number.
Oh well maybe my BMS is accurate and I just have a small 5% degradation for real.
I don’t think too much about it these days. I just enjoy it and drive it.

My philosophy is, set the battery gauge to percent and have one less thing to worry about.
From reading dozens or possibly hundreds of posts on this topic over the past 4-5 years, my conclusion is that the SOC indicator is inherently inaccurate, especially at the extreme ends, and that there is a huge number of "experts" with multiple differing theories about how to best manage the battery and the BMS. I mean no offense to anyone who is a genuine battery expert, but it is very hard to tell who on the forums is to be believed as an authoritative source, and who is simply expressing an opinion or parroting what he or she has read or heard from various other sources. Tesla offers very little guidance on this topic, so it seems to be virtually impossible to know the "truth" about battery care, aside from Tesla's guidance to "always be charging."

My s100d lost about 5.5% the first year after 50,000km, degradation slowed after that, at 5.9% degradation with 75,000km now. 80-90% L2 home charger most of the time, SC about once every other week.

Nothing to worry about. At this rate, I would hit like 300,000km with less than 10% degradation, which is pretty good.

Tesla's guidance to "always be charging."[/QUOTE]

I think you mean, "A plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla" It wont charge continuously on a float level, but will switch off until the HV pack drops a few percent or so.

I have a strange problem in that after 3.5 years and 27k miles, only less than 1% drop in range..

Last edited: