Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range mode explained ? it's eco to drive ? how it's work ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The most significant thing range mode does is, disable heating the battery (when it’s cold) while driving to regain regen. This is pretty wasteful and never pays back enough regen to make up for the energy to heat. It’s especially bad on short drives. I always have Range mode on.

It also does stuff with HVAC that makes little sense, since the cabin is thermostatically controlled.

Reactions: oliver4ever
The most significant thing range mode does is, disable heating the battery (when it’s cold) while driving to regain regen. This is pretty wasteful and never pays back enough regen to make up for the energy to heat. It’s especially bad on short drives. I always have Range mode on.

It also does stuff with HVAC that makes little sense, since the cabin is thermostatically controlled.
it's save engergy

Yeah I noticed without range mode, I would lose 5-10 miles of range on cold mornings, even if I was only driving 2-3 miles. The battery warm up is extremely wasteful.

Range mode explained ? it's eco to drive ? how it's work ? and when i must to using it ??
did i must to using it when i travel ? or in winter ?

how much kw it's eco

my car MX 90D 17

Tesla's range mode finally explained
And now the truth about range mode while in range mode, your Tesla drives with the front engine only(which is noticeably more effective due to gear ratio, and location powered front wheels are more effective in directing torque than passive front wheels and RWD system). Range mode has even a funny "bug" in control software try to reverse in range mode with fully turned wheels. You may hear Crack crack crack. The motor is improperly managed (it should be rear motor used instead for reversing).
So In range mode, the front motor is used almost 100% of the time when speed is steady or using a slow acceleration. When pressing hard, the car goes back to 50/50 power distribution.

Besides that, it operates with lower climate fan speed, half of the heaters (saving up to 3kilowatts per hour) and also with a lower speed of air conditioning compressor.

The battery will not be heated at all. In winter this will kill regen. You need to drive for some time to have regen enabled. But few kilowatt-hours saved. And some lost because of no or weak regen. But still a positive gain to efficiency.

The battery will be also less cooled. 46 Celsius degrees or co will force the system to start active cooling of battery in range mode, but normal mode 40 Celcius degrees.

it's save engergy

That means longer range at the expense of human discomfort in the cabin (a/c can feel warmer in summer and heater can feel colder in winter.)

I guess your car's performance is not affected because it saves energy the most during a cruising speed but when you floor your accelerator, the performance takes over and energy saving is automatically and temporarily off.

The Raven (which is not what the OP has) always runs front motor most of the time and kicks in the rear when you accelerate. So in that aspect it’s always in Range mode.

It also does turn on the battery heater when you have low regen and range mode off. It won’t heat it up to full regen though. You can see the battery heater icon light up in the mobile app under the cabin heating page. It will not be there with range mode on. This is true for preconditioning as well but they may have recently changed it.

There may be other differences in Raven.

Right, but the heater and AC compressor are neutered/operate at half power, so even though it's thermostatically controlled, there is less energy available for climate control. Which leads to the possible state of never reaching your desired temperature in extreme hot or cold because there isn't enough power allocated to climate control. I've experienced this in range mode on a hot sunny summer day before - never did get cooled down to target temperature even after an hour or two.

The Raven (which is not what the OP has) always runs front motor most of the time and kicks in the rear when you accelerate. So in that aspect it’s always in Range mode.
I have a non-Raven and ScanMyTesla data that I've monitored. I was responding to his type of vehicle. HTH

Below is front & rear working together (same bias) on accel and regen.

G26EwKM.jpg

9I7pbIN.jpg