Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RANGE UI: showing mileage versus battery %

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having a hard time understanding the reason why my M3 only shows the battery percentage in lieu of a corresponding mile range. Why do I need to try to calculate the mile range as I am driving? My MS shows the mileage and although I know it is not 100% correct and changes based on my driving, I still prefer it to the battery percentage.

Any thoughts?

Yes, it is an option. Try reading your manual to find where the setting is.

Total estimated driving distance (or
energy) available. Instead of driving
distance, you can display the percentage
of battery energy remaining. To do so,
touch Controls > Display > Energy
(see Controls and Settings on page 80).

Last edited:
From another thread I didn't want to capture:
Users have requested to have both 'percentage' and 'range' to be displayed at the same time but this never occurs...
I have always wondered why people would want to see the percentage. The way I see it it makes sense to charge to a certain percentage (like 80% or 90%), but when it comes to remaining range I don't find it helpful to see how many percent are left. Ottawa is about 80 km (50 miles) away form where I live. No one would ever say it is about 16% away.

Let's say I want to know whether or not I can make it there and back home without recharging. If I have 260 km left, I know it is not going to be an issue. But if I get the equivalent (~50%), I'd have to convert it to a distance first.
Sure, if I have both numbers displayed I can just disregard the percentage. Then again, I would rather not have irrelevant information (irrelevant to me anyways) on the screen as it makes it more difficult to read.
Maybe I'm missing something. Can someone who wants both numbers displayed share their thoughts on this?

Reactions: XLR82XS
I agree that percentage is a problem when range is low (less than ~20%) and I always use miles display. With changing terrain, speeds, HVAC use, etc... I do have a fear that it'll drop from 5% to 0% and then the car will run out juice. I believe there is a thread here about someone's 3 shutting down that had 20-30 displayed miles remaining.

I have always wondered why people would want to see the percentage. The way I see it it makes sense to charge to a certain percentage (like 80% or 90%), but when it comes to remaining range I don't find it helpful to see how many percent are left. Ottawa is about 80 km (50 miles) away form where I live. No one would ever say it is about 16% away.

Funny enough, i only do the percentage because the mileage number is almost always wrong for me. I typically use ~50% more energy than the car estimates and just use percentage as i have a good feel for how far i can go with a certain percent. For example i know going to work and back is only about 10%. I'd probably like using the mileage if it were more closely aligned to my actual energy usage and efficiency.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
SUGGESTION TO TESLA: It would be good if the UI offered a quick way to toggle percentage and miles, eg a simple tap on the readout. And it would be even better if we could change between the two when using the phone app. (Or have both displayed at the same time). Sometimes I find I want to know the predicted mileage and sometimes I want to know the percentage remaining. They have different uses.

Reactions: kbecks13