Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle in rear (Model 3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anybody else experience this? There is a rattle in my
car that seems to come from the backseat area. The rattle is triggered usually when going over bumps. This rattle appeared over time.

I took the car in last Monday and they didn’t fix it. I was actually not very impressed with what the service center did. First they told me that they resolved the issue by “adding soundproofing” (I was like wtf?), then they added some piece of foam somewhere... which didn’t resolve anything
Adding pieces of foam are often ways to resolve interior squeaks and rattles in cars. I've seen some directions for manufacturer provided kits which mention that.

Here are some examples:
J-50397 Squeak & Rattle Kit
TECH-MATE
Nissan Squeak & Rattle Info - Nissan Murano Forum

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
I had an odd rattle than only occurred as I turned the car. Sounded like a screw rolling in an enclosure in the rear. I had the car in the service center for some other issues and had this on my list. The service advisor took a ride with me and I was able to duplicate pretty easily. First he emptied my glove box, thinking it was in the front but I kept telling him I was pretty sure it was in the back. So he got in the back of the car. I was pretty impressed as he followed the sound he was laying across the floor in the back. He then told me he could feel it and pops up with a small tree nut in his hand. I recognized it immediately as they are all over my driveway! Anyway it was laying in the rear heater/cooling duct under the passenger front seat. It has a trough below what you can see in the picture and any number of things could fall in there.

Keep this in mind if you hear this type of sound as I am sure anything could get in there and roll back and forth. There should probably be a grill covering this or some padding on the inside.

Underseat Heating Duct.jpg

I had an odd rattle than only occurred as I turned the car. Sounded like a screw rolling in an enclosure in the rear. I had the car in the service center for some other issues and had this on my list. The service advisor took a ride with me and I was able to duplicate pretty easily. First he emptied my glove box, thinking it was in the front but I kept telling him I was pretty sure it was in the back. So he got in the back of the car. I was pretty impressed as he followed the sound he was laying across the floor in the back. He then told me he could feel it and pops up with a small tree nut in his hand. I recognized it immediately as they are all over my driveway! Anyway it was laying in the rear heater/cooling duct under the passenger front seat. It has a trough below what you can see in the picture and any number of things could fall in there.

Keep this in mind if you hear this type of sound as I am sure anything could get in there and roll back and forth. There should probably be a grill covering this or some padding on the inside.

View attachment 344531

Thank you so much for your post. I was having a very similar noise and your post came up in a search. I went down to the car and lo and behold there was something in that exact same trough! Now I just have to figure out where a ball bearing came from!!

• Informative
I will add my noise here for future reference.

I have a clunk, or something like that coming from Rear Passenger area. Can be heard consistently going over bumps and when turning left. I think its suspension. When you turn left the weight is transfered to the right and the sound can be heard.

I can reproduce the sound by opening the trunk and bouncing the rear of the car.

I tried with the rear seats down but no luck.

Appointment tomorrow at the SC .

Will report back.

Vin

• Informative
We've had a rattle that we've recently isolated to the left rear seat back. When it's down, no rattle. When its up, intermittent rattle. We then noticed that under the carpet layer on the seat back there's all sorts of rattle-able material: tap on the carpet and it seems like there are sheets of loose plastic hitting against each other under the carpet layer. Is it "normal" to hear this obvious clacking when you tap on the carpeted seat back? Our SC looked for this rattle for (they claim) 3+ hours and couldn't find it. We didn't quit looking and eventually found this behavior, but I hesitate to take it back to them if the response is going to be that it's "normal". (Let's put it this way: they know me by now. :)

• Informative
The back shelf was a source of noise for me.

I wedged a few pieces of Gorilla Tape rolled into thick wedges in the space where the back shelf meets the window: one in the middle and a piece at the right and left edges. It did wonders in making the car feel and sound more solid on crappy city streets. I also wedged a few pieces of rolled up Gorilla Tape between the white headliner and the dark gray plastic back where meet at the bottom of the rear window. They had a lot of play and seemed another potential rattle source.

What I thought was a noise in the back seat area was emanating from the shelf/window area.

Previous to this I've also:
  • Removed the back seat and securing anything in the penthouse area that could rattle with tape or felt tape.
  • Removed all four door panels, securing anything that could ever rattle with felt tape, including the tweeters.
  • Secured the front wheel well liners with tape. This eliminated the rattle I could hear at highway speeds. See Rattle: SOLVED.
My M3 sounds and feels so much more solid and quiet compared to the day I took delivery. Because the car is so quiet it's amazing how the littlest thing can produce an irritating noise.

• Informative
The back shelf was a source of noise for me.

I wedged a few pieces of Gorilla Tape rolled into thick wedges in the space where the back shelf meets the window: one in the middle and a piece at the right and left edges. It did wonders in making the car feel and sound more solid on crappy city streets. I also wedged a few pieces of rolled up Gorilla Tape between the white headliner and the dark gray plastic back where meet at the bottom of the rear window. They had a lot of play and seemed another potential rattle source.

What I thought was a noise in the back seat area was emanating from the shelf/window area.

Previous to this I've also:
  • Removed the back seat and securing anything in the penthouse area that could rattle with tape or felt tape.
  • Removed all four door panels, securing anything that could ever rattle with felt tape, including the tweeters.
  • Secured the front wheel well liners with tape. This eliminated the rattle I could hear at highway speeds. See Rattle: SOLVED.
My M3 sounds and feels so much more solid and quiet compared to the day I took delivery. Because the car is so quiet it's amazing how the littlest thing can produce an irritating noise.
Follow-up on my earlier note about rear seat rattle: Mobile Team came out and fixed the thing that was rattling for us once we pointed them to the back of the rear driver side seat. There is a place a few inches below the latch opening on the seat back where the middle seat belt is secured to the seat back (under the carpet). The tech unzipped the carpeting from the back of the seat and found that a plastic cover over that connection point was not secured properly with the pins that were supposed to hold it to the metal, so he taped it down tight, and now this noise is gone. Of course, there's still something else rattling -- so Jim, thanks for the suggestions here. But all in all, much better. And the Mobile Team tech guy was very nice; a good experience on this service front.

Follow-up on my earlier note about rear seat rattle: Mobile Team came out and fixed the thing that was rattling for us once we pointed them to the back of the rear driver side seat. There is a place a few inches below the latch opening on the seat back where the middle seat belt is secured to the seat back (under the carpet). The tech unzipped the carpeting from the back of the seat and found that a plastic cover over that connection point was not secured properly with the pins that were supposed to hold it to the metal, so he taped it down tight, and now this noise is gone. Of course, there's still something else rattling -- so Jim, thanks for the suggestions here. But all in all, much better. And the Mobile Team tech guy was very nice; a good experience on this service front.

I never knew that back of the seat was unzippable. Took a quick look but can't easily find where the zipper starts. Glad you nailed one rattle down. Thanks for the update.

I have some kind of plastic ticking/clicking noise in the back, happens at around the same volume on smaller and larger bumps. Sometimes just sitting in the sun (or I'm going crazy). Seems to be somewhere on the passenger side. Maybe C pillar? I've ordered some trim removal tools to poke around when I'm bored. Service fixed some loose clip in the C pillar earlier this year, I wonder if it's gotten loose again.

• Informative

View attachment 344531
That is great service! Thanks for the post.

Yes indeed, it comes from play between the rear seat latch and bracket (in my 3 it's the double rear seat, not the single) I added some felt pads to prevent it from occurring. The felt pads push against the seat and eliminates the play between the seat and the bracket. I used two pads on top of each other, they are the same pads you put on chairs to prevent scratching wood floors. And I agree, it's a very annoying rattle!

View attachment 335254
We just wrapped a little electrical tape around the latch. Problem solved.

Whenever I turn sharply at low speeds, I can hear something either rolling/sliding/or scraping. Sounds like its coming from under the car near passenger side rear seat. Looked under car didn't see anything loose. Will take rear wheel off tomorrow just to take a better look to see if something is touching or rubbing.I have the stock 18's so that shouldn't be the issue. If you go in straight line or go over bumps, no noise. Only happens if turning sharping let or right sharply. I'm stumped

I Scheduled an appt, but nearest date is in 3 weeks.

• Informative

I COULD KISS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've had a rattle that was buggin me for a while now.I was all prepared to take off wheel and search in there and under the car tomorrow, but decided I just look here where you suggested tonight. I found a big bolt in there that was the cause!!! The bolt looks the same as one of the bolts that holds the seat down,but inspected the seat I don't see any holes where a missing bolt would go. The seat does not move or rattle so maybe an extra bolt from production thrown in there. (car about a month old)

THANKS FOR THIS!!

I COULD KISS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've had a rattle that was buggin me for a while now.I was all prepared to take off wheel and search in there and under the car tomorrow, but decided I just look here where you suggested tonight. I found a big bolt in there that was the cause!!! The bolt looks the same as one of the bolts that holds the seat down,but inspected the seat I don't see any holes where a missing bolt would go. The seat does not move or rattle so maybe an extra bolt from production thrown in there. (car about a month old)

THANKS FOR THIS!!

I can 1-up this. Been experiencing a similar rattle from the rear right of my car. After seeing this thread, moved the seat all the way forward to check that tray. In there I found an entire ratcheting torx wrench! Either left behind by a tech in a previous service visit or at build time! So now I'm up one torx wrench and hopefully down one rattle (haven't had a chance to drive it since).