Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
of course did not notice till I slowed down for the pavers into my subdivision.

Irritating, annoying and very frustrating.

I believe there are two different rattles/noises going on in a lot of people’s cars.

A low frequency “wobble” “spring-like noise” from the front suspension when hitting bumps.
-And-
A high frequency “buzz” when going over extremely rough surfaces like cobblestone or pavers.

My car has a “buzz” rattle when going over pavers in my subdivision too. Wondering if that is what you are hearing?

I'm hearing almost like like a pepper grinder sound over bumps.

So imagine the sound of turning a pepper grinder once but it has more mid range frequency to it and is sustained for an extra second. This really only happens over bumps. I'm trying to figure out if I'm on the same page as most people here.

I had a 100D loaner last time I was in service and even over bumps it was silent. All you hear is low end muffle/road noise (normal). That is when I really was assured something is up with my car.

I'm hearing almost like like a pepper grinder sound over bumps.

So imagine the sound of turning a pepper grinder once but it has more mid range frequency to it and is sustained for an extra second. This really only happens over bumps. I'm trying to figure out if I'm on the same page as most people here.

I had a 100D loaner last time I was in service and even over bumps it was silent. All you hear is low end muffle/road noise (normal). That is when I really was assured something is up with my car.
My noise is a very hollow sound, almost like someone is taping a plastic or dense metal box with a rubber hammer.

Reactions: daktari
I’ve had the clunk/rattle from day one on my March ‘18 S75D. I’ve been in contact with the “Executive Care” team. Here’s their latest communication from a couple of hours ago:

I wanted to reach out and let you know I haven't forgotten about you. I've been in contact with our engineers and they are still exploring ways to reduce the rattle. I'll be sure to keep you updated once we have some more firm details. Have a great weekend.

Notice the wording—they’re exploring ways to “reduce” the rattle, but not correct or eliminate it. I’m not feeling optimistic at this point. It’s frustrating to know that that they’re aware of the issue, and have been for quite some time, yet cars continue to roll off the line.

Is anyone considering legal action at this point?

I’ve had the clunk/rattle from day one on my March ‘18 S75D. I’ve been in contact with the “Executive Care” team. Here’s their latest communication from a couple of hours ago:

I wanted to reach out and let you know I haven't forgotten about you. I've been in contact with our engineers and they are still exploring ways to reduce the rattle. I'll be sure to keep you updated once we have some more firm details. Have a great weekend.

Notice the wording—they’re exploring ways to “reduce” the rattle, but not correct or eliminate it. I’m not feeling optimistic at this point. It’s frustrating to know that that they’re aware of the issue, and have been for quite some time, yet cars continue to roll off the line.

Is anyone considering legal action at this point?
If it actually had some detrimental problem with the car I would consider it. As it stands, no.

Hi Guys,

I received a call yesterday from my service center to inform me that Tesla engineering found a solution for the issue which is document in a bulletin now. They have linked my car to this bulletin and when it comes in for any type of service in the future they will automatically also take care of this. The caveat was that it will only be done if the required parts are in stock and the guy said they do not have a date when this will be. As I am coming up on my first regular service visit, I planned it in one month from now hoping that the parts will then be available.
Will keep you informed if I learn anything new.

Rgds,

Jeroen

Hi Guys,

I received a call yesterday from my service center to inform me that Tesla engineering found a solution for the issue which is document in a bulletin now. They have linked my car to this bulletin and when it comes in for any type of service in the future they will automatically also take care of this. The caveat was that it will only be done if the required parts are in stock and the guy said they do not have a date when this will be. As I am coming up on my first regular service visit, I planned it in one month from now hoping that the parts will then be available.

Rgds,

Jeroen

Oooh, interesting.

I wonder whether the solution they mention is for your specific problem (as it seems there may be multiple causes of rattle), or whether they have multiple solutions to multiple causes of rattle?

SC has had my car for a while. My rattle was in the right rear and happened on rough pavement at slower speeds. First they replaced a window trim piece. Then something else in the suspension. Finally replaced the whole air spring and claim the rattle is gone. We will see. They also replaced both Bluetooth mikes, the pressure sensors for the a/c and the driver assistance module for unrelated but nagging problems. Been more than a week in the shop as they hunted down the rattle. Impressed with their doggedness.

Last edited:
I have also on my december 2017 S75D (constructed in August-September) the same "gling gling" suspension noise when driving on rougher road, small bumps, pavé...
The S100D from my father (constructed in July-August 2017) definitely does NOT have his noise.

I have asked this to be checked for my 1st service next month but would be happy to know what kind of repair Jeroenhermans will have...

I managed to record a video of the sound emanating from the front of my car. It’s most notable at speeds <45 mph while driving on roads that are not absolutely smooth. (9/2017 build 90D with Firestone air suspension part # 1067361-25-C).

Same car and build date as you, I knew I wasn’t just road noise especially when I had a loaner 100D and it was super silent, especially over bumps.

Reactions: CaliSol
Hi Guys,

Rgds,

Jeroen

When I make an appontment will they check the bulletin if I say something like “rattle type noise happening on front of car over bumps”?

I’m wondering what phrase of words are to be used to make them check the bulletin or to link my car to the bulletin.

I showed this thread to a technician at my SC today who is very familiar with this issue. He said that they are in direct contact with the engineer working on this, and there still isn’t a fix yet. So it is possible that the bulletin mentioned in this thread is a different issue than others are experiencing which is very widespread.

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop and CaliSol
I managed to record a video of the sound emanating from the front of my car. It’s most notable at speeds <45 mph while driving on roads that are not absolutely smooth. (9/2017 build 90D with Firestone air suspension part # 1067361-25-C).

I can’t edit my previous post. But i forgot to ask, have you fixed your car yet? Any updates from you?

I can confirm I have the exact same sound and issue in my car. I recorded a video, replayed it and compared it to yours and it’s pretty much the same.

Just checking into this thread once again. As I noted earlier in May, I had the prototype strut brackets installed along with one other customer in San Francisco. I was then told it was not a general release fix. I continue to drive the car and unfortunately the vibrations, although diminished with the prototype brackets, are still there. My case has been ' escalated'. I have a loaner of another 100D this week and sure enough the same rattle exists, very prevalent at lower speeds on city surfaces. I emailed Elon this week right after the shareholders meeting to ask him to get personally involved in fixing this manufacturing defect. I escalated it myself. For what its worth.....we'll see.