Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my car back today. They replaced the "air spring module" left hand side. I don't think they know the problem and a solution either.

Corrections: Air Spring Module - Front - LH
Replaced the front left hand strut, and torqued front suspension.

However the rattle noise is gone now. I will continue to monitor.

Thanks for the update !!!
Mine is at the SC now and I will share this with them.

UPDATE:

They replaced the steering rack and the rattling noise is still present. They will move on to looking at the struts now.
They replaced steering parts that was $3000 worth for free for me as well, a couple weeks ago. But they returned car to me admitting not fixed and saying no further to look for at that time. The car is at the SC now for other reason, I will relay this to them to try it out. Ask more aggressively this time. Thanks for update!

They replaced steering parts that was $3000 worth for free for me as well, a couple weeks ago. But they returned car to me admitting not fixed and saying no further to look for at that time. The car is at the SC now for other reason, I will relay this to them to try it out. Ask more aggressively this time. Thanks for update!

I’ll give a bunch of credit to the technician working with me for personally getting on the phone to inform me he was not satisfied after replacing the steering rack and driving the car around still hearing the same rattle we had identified together. He advised me they had opened a case with engineering, sent the old steering rack to Fremont to be looked at, and requested to hold on to the car into next week so he could continue figuring out the source of the rattling more precisely after having definitively ruled out the steering rack.

I now appear to have this problem. I get a rattle noise out of what appear to be the left front suspension. It seems to occur only when the left front wheel encounters a small bump. Car goes into service the middle of next. Will report back the solution.

BTW, at my annual service in mid-March, the right and left control arms were replaced, along with the related nuts, washers, and other parts. Could it be that something was not sufficiently tightened down when this service was completed?

Last edited:
I now appear to have this problem. I get a rattle noise out of what appear to be the left front suspension. It seems to occur only when the left front wheel encounters a small bump. Car goes into service the middle of next. Will report back the solution.

BTW, at my annual service in mid-March, the right and left control arms were replaced, along with the related nuts, washers, and other parts. Could it be that something was not sufficiently tightened down when this service was completed?

What month/year was your car produced?

UPDATE: Steering rack and both front struts replaced, rivets placed at other possible source, rattle still occurring. I'm getting the car back until engineering figures out how to solve this relatively widespread problem.
Your experience really is striking. We both share seems to be the same symptom after having virtualy same set of ‘treatments’. Please do continue to share your results per treatments. I will share mine with you too.

Reactions: Drlev

I have always been of the opinion that it could be something to do with the swaybar or the endlinks.

I've been fighting the dreaded rattling of the suspension. As a tech my self it's been a struggle but believe I've may off figured it out. I'll know tomorrow, I'm removing the right strut on my 2017 60d and going to attempt to remove the top strut plate and examine it. They only service it as a complete unit 800$ later. I would have tesla warranty it but it's most likely accident related. I believe the upper strut plate rattle travels through the upper strut braces and echoes against the firewall. I'll update photos if it's it for future help.

I've been fighting the dreaded rattling of the suspension. As a tech my self it's been a struggle but believe I've may off figured it out. I'll know tomorrow, I'm removing the right strut on my 2017 60d and going to attempt to remove the top strut plate and examine it. They only service it as a complete unit 800$ later. I would have tesla warranty it but it's most likely accident related. I believe the upper strut plate rattle travels through the upper strut braces and echoes against the firewall. I'll update photos if it's it for future help.
When the strut bearing rattles, it can make a noise like that. Virtually every part in the suspension has been replaced bit by bit on many people’s cars though and as far as I can tell, nobody has had a successful fix.

I have a new loaner vehicle (while mine is in service) and over bumps it is silent, muffled low end (which is normal). That’s when I knew i wasn’t going crazy when I hear a small rattling like sound that appears going over bumps. It appears and goes quickly but it’s there. Almost like a salt grinder sound.

Hoping to see someone get a fix before reaching out to SC.

Your experience really is striking. We both share seems to be the same symptom after having virtualy same set of ‘treatments’. Please do continue to share your results per treatments. I will share mine with you too.
I got my Jan. 2018 built 75D back from the SC today. The sc replaced air suspension units on both sides after steering wheel parts, and the persistant loud “Rattle” noise is GONE. It appears that there still is very small muffled small rattle noise (which is not annoying at all to me), and this part the SC is still searching for cure and probably caused by much complicated reason.
The point that I learned from the “Rattle Noise” complaints for past weeks, we need to ‘distinguish’ them properly first....!

I got my Jan. 2018 built 75D back from the SC today. The sc replaced air suspension units on both sides after steering wheel parts, and the persistant loud “Rattle” noise is GONE. It appears that there still is very small muffled small rattle noise (which is not annoying at all to me), and this part the SC is still searching for cure and probably caused by much complicated reason.
The point that I learned from the “Rattle Noise” complaints for past weeks, we need to ‘distinguish’ them properly first....!

Same exact story as mine. December 2017. The more obvious/annoying rattle seems to be gone. There’s a little something still there. Other plus: despite my original suspension being only a few months old, the new front suspension feels much tighter.

Hi There, I started a post on Tesla' Forum on March 8th about the same issue posted by ptekngo above. I noticed he saw my post there too. So, connecting the 2 forums, I can report that i have been waiting patiently through the 3 month waiting period. Tesla San Fran had agreed to fix the problem in that period or buy me out of the lease for a replacement car. I have been communicating diligently over this 3 month period with the service manager. The clock runs out next week.

In the past few weeks Tesla brought out a noise and vibration Engineer to review another car in SF with a similar issue. They, to date, do not have a fix with the strut manufacturer. 2 weeks ago they manufactured a strut support bracket that attaches to the frame at 2 points with resilient rubber mounts to isolate the offending vibrating parts from telegraphing noise into the front chassis. This a "not a fix" according to the assist service manager but a fix for the symptom. Tesla has manufactured the part and it has a part number available for others to do the same fix. I'll attempt to provide that number for you. I should have taken a photo of it for this post.

The other customer had the fix done last week. The Tesla Engineer and owner appear to be satisfied so far which prompted them to make a second set for my car. we are on the bleeding edge here.

My car is in Tesla SF's shop today to be fitted with the brackets. Its a one day install. I will come back to the forum in few days with an update for you all. Stay tuned.

Hi There, I started a post on Tesla' Forum on March 8th about the same issue posted by ptekngo above. I noticed he saw my post there too. So, connecting the 2 forums, I can report that i have been waiting patiently through the 3 month waiting period. Tesla San Fran had agreed to fix the problem in that period or buy me out of the lease for a replacement car. I have been communicating diligently over this 3 month period with the service manager. The clock runs out next week.

In the past few weeks Tesla brought out a noise and vibration Engineer to review another car in SF with a similar issue. They, to date, do not have a fix with the strut manufacturer. 2 weeks ago they manufactured a strut support bracket that attaches to the frame at 2 points with resilient rubber mounts to isolate the offending vibrating parts from telegraphing noise into the front chassis. This a "not a fix" according to the assist service manager but a fix for the symptom. Tesla has manufactured the part and it has a part number available for others to do the same fix. I'll attempt to provide that number for you. I should have taken a photo of it for this post.

The other customer had the fix done last week. The Tesla Engineer and owner appear to be satisfied so far which prompted them to make a second set for my car. we are on the bleeding edge here.

My car is in Tesla SF's shop today to be fitted with the brackets. Its a one day install. I will come back to the forum in few days with an update for you all. Stay tuned.

Thanks @paulipaddy for connecting the issues between forums. Looking forward for your update.

Could you send me the part number too?

Thanks for the info, having the part number would be a great help for people trying to get this fixed.