Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally, came Tesla out with a public announcement: 12 Models Lose CR Recommendation Over Car Reliability Issues

If I read it correctly then there are 4 important points in their message:
1. They have addressed the problem.
2. They admit the problem is 65% resolved.
3. They are willing ro continue their efforts.
4. They do not commit to any (even hypothetical) deadlines as for when the final solution will be available.

I have seen two owners reporting on this thread about the problem have only been half-way resolved. This concurs with #2 at least.

#4 can mean different things. Tesla might prefer offering free yearly services as a compensation for the remaining part of the problem. While this might be a good offer for owners with not so prominent effects of the problem, it might mean to bear potentially unforeseen loss for other owners who have this problem manifesting itself more.

Last edited:
Finally, came Tesla out with a public announcement: 12 Models Lose CR Recommendation Over Car Reliability Issues

If I read it correctly then there are 4 important points in their message:
1. They have addressed the problem.
2. They admit the problem is 65% resolved.
3. They are willing ro continue their efforts.
4. They do not commit to any (even hypothetical) deadlines as for when the final solution will be available.

I think your #2 item is probably wrong, I think they are saying that they have seen 65% fewer suspension problems because of updates they have made. They aren't specifically addressing a single suspension issue and saying that it is 65% resolved. (In this case the strut chuckle.)

I think your #2 item is probably wrong, I think they are saying that they have seen 65% fewer suspension problems because of updates they have made. They aren't specifically addressing a single suspension issue and saying that it is 65% resolved. (In this case the strut chuckle.)

I truly hope that you are right @MP3Mike. But even if you didn't disagree that the announcements that Tesla make aren't always unambiguous it helps very little to understand what they say.

What other suspension problems have Tesla had that brought Model S from above the average to below the average in Consumer Reports exactly from 2017?! Nobody I know reported anything else but the suspension problem discussed in this thread. Hence my perception of #2.

Can you explain your statement?

Yes, I understand Tesla has to relate to marketing and legal challenges as well as the technical issues. But with communication that I must confess appears to be extremely vague, Tesla hurts itself. Think of hundreds (thousands?) of owners who faced with this problem since 2017. This is so much discussed here and in other forums! Tesla decided to change suspension sub-supplier and took some risks. Wrong risk estimation. So what? Tesla customers never consented to willingly take that risk. How much will it cost Tesla to restore loyalty and good faith of their customers? Now think of all the othere car manufacturers that are coming on the market. How much time does Tesla have now actually? What a freaking crazy stupid marketing move this has been if this is the case!

Neither Tesla nor their customers deserve this. This is significant.

There is the only way out of this hell that I can imagine:

1. Admit the problem.
2. Solve it.
3. Deploy solution.​

Plain and simple.The Tesla way.​

Last edited:
My 6mo old 2018 MS75D is at the SC to get the "new" struts installed as well. I gave them the part number reported on this thread. I'll report in once I get the car back.
How did you do that? I was at my SC in Springfield, NJ on Friday and asked for an appointment to have this work done and they simply said the part is not available yet. My hypothesis is that Tesla is simply stalling on this because they need to focus on M3 deliveries and don't want to add work to their SCs.

How did you do that? I was at my SC in Springfield, NJ on Friday and asked for an appointment to have this work done and they simply said the part is not available yet. My hypothesis is that Tesla is simply stalling on this because they need to focus on M3 deliveries and don't want to add work to their SCs.

I had to take it in for other issues (yellow MCU screen and other items) and provided the part number to them. We went on a test drive
to repro the issue and it was observed by the tech. Will have to see if they end up replacing the struts or not. It’s still at the SC and given the slow pace of work, it will probably be there over the Thanksgiving holiday. At least I got a loaner! They are hard to come by at the Costa Mesa SC!!!

I had to take it in for other issues (yellow MCU screen and other items) and provided the part number to them. We went on a test drive
to repro the issue and it was observed by the tech. Will have to see if they end up replacing the struts or not. It’s still at the SC and given the slow pace of work, it will probably be there over the Thanksgiving holiday. At least I got a loaner! They are hard to come by at the Costa Mesa SC!!!

Thanks for the update Tim.

That's interesting. I've been waiting more than a month for the parts to arrive at the Costa Mesa SC. They told me last week that the parts are back ordered with no ETA.

Got my 100D back today, and so far no noise. I asked them for the part number and the one they recited matched the number spoken of on this thread. Though bad news I also had my windshield replaced, and my hood is now all scratched up, like they didn't protect it, or if they did, the pad they used had grit under it. I didn't notice in the bright sun but it was very noticeable under garage lights when I got home. Now I have to deal with this! Another service visit and more time away from my car.

• Informative
Reactions: Dragetreneren
My car is a March 17 Built MS75D. Air suspension.

I have a service center visit next Thursday to get some issues taken care of.

Here is my video of the noise I'm getting. It's really loud but not sure if its the same issue or not. It doesnt come all the time though so I'm glad that I was able to capture it on video as proof its coming.

I had another noise coming from the front right side which has gone away for now. That was a different noise than this and was more constant.

I've only read through 8 pages so far so it'll take me some more time to go through all 35 pages. I have already emailed my service center this video so they know that I'm not just making it up.

Dropbox - Video Nov 20, 3 48 33 PM.mov

I was at the service center here in Trondheim, Norway. They told me a fix has been issued and that they first would get the parts and time to fix it in feb. Unfortunately they did not tell me what parts where needed... They have scheduled an appointment in feb. I will contact them when it gets closer to feb, for more info about part number etc. So if in fact my car get fixed, I am happy!

I have further more been enquirering to get more details about what is actually causing the sound, but I was told that Tesla Engineering will not share this with the service centers nor the customers. All they would say is, they now know why, and a fix is in place!

Here is my video of the noise I'm getting. It's really loud but not sure if its the same issue or not. It doesnt come all the time though so I'm glad that I was able to capture it on video as proof its coming.

I had another noise coming from the front right side which has gone away for now. That was a different noise than this and was more constant.

I've only read through 8 pages so far so it'll take me some more time to go through all 35 pages. I have already emailed my service center this video so they know that I'm not just making it up.

WOW... mine did not sound like that! You best get that checked out...

Sent an email to my local service center about this issue since I was able to get this recording. Email was sent Wednesday evening. After the holiday, they reached out to me today in the morning.

Can’t say enough about Tesla service. I’m glad I’m in this car and not another car. I’m confident they will do everything to make sure we have a good experience with the car.

They asked me to come in earlier but due to my schedule it might be difficult. I’m still on target to go next week Thursday.