Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any idea how long you drove it before inspecting it? I would imagine once it gets loose it could start wearing out the hole it's in. Initially its probably just upward/downward noise, but soon it would elongate the hole and then tightening it will not help much or for long. How much time you have after identifying the noise and tightening is anyone's guess.
Actually it was not my own strut and I don't know how much miles where on it before I opened it.

Even when the strut is new it has radial play and even more when it goes rattling, that's really a designflaw since gen1 struts didn't had this issue and no radial play either

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
I wanted to post information as this long thread was very useful to me. My vehicle exhibited all of the noise shown in the many videos posted here. I have a 1.5 updated fascia 2016 AWD with the Firestone 1067361-00-C original part. I ordered and installed two new front 1067361-77-C updated Firestone air spring modules and followed the TSB to loosen the tower brace and verify its location. This solved my noise. Now, some of you may say this is temporary, but all of my noises are gone; for now. My interior strut for the bellow was leaking fluid on both sides, but I could not see it until removal. Hope this helps someone. I will update this if the noise ever returns. It drove me nuts for a long time and Tesla refused to replace them; this lead to me doing it myself. I could not feel any rattling when shaking them off the vehicle which I thought was intersting. It is quite indeed the bellow knocking against the housing when filled.

Attachments

• DBE8124B-DE8C-486D-99D7-BDA61C19B28D.jpeg
    DBE8124B-DE8C-486D-99D7-BDA61C19B28D.jpeg
    374.8 KB · Views: 276
  • A9E16E97-518B-43DD-BD37-B99D53E60C60.jpeg
    A9E16E97-518B-43DD-BD37-B99D53E60C60.jpeg
    535.3 KB · Views: 179
  • 1912685B-2944-4748-979E-ECA9AC879882.jpeg
    1912685B-2944-4748-979E-ECA9AC879882.jpeg
    457.9 KB · Views: 206
Meant to add that I have seen this condition on other very well-known vehicle manufacturers with air suspensions as well. The culprit is exactly the same. Usually they just have a leak and replacement fixes it. The fact that it comes back for some is quite odd.

Hi Guys,

The issue with Air strut noise is a loose nut, you can see in the video below. Unfortunately Tesla is just replacing the strut and charging customers.
This was the exact issue on my MX2017. On both sides at front the top nut was loose. Loosened it all the way, put some loctite to threads and tightened it back on. All rattling noise gone. Thank you for pointing this out.

Here is similar video showing the rattle. It was really obvious when the strut was out of the car.

Here is also a picture of top part of the strut for anyone thinking how to get the top cap off. There is a big clip holding the plastic top cap on. Cap comes off easily by pulling once you get the clip off. Underneath the cap there is a nut that needs loctite and tightening. After that its reassembly and test drive time.

Attachments

• 20230623_125541.jpg
    20230623_125541.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 165
Can this be done with the strut still on the car or does it have to be removed?
You have to remove the strut. If the top cap was fully visible it could be done when strut is on the car. It is hidden underneath the sheet metal. Luckily it is relatively quick job to remove the strut. It is just 21mm bolt&nut holding the strut bottom to the lower control arm and 3x 13mm nuts at the top. Flexible brake line is held on to the strut with some clip, bellow needs to be emptied and air line loosened by loosening the 10mm nut at the top. It almost takes more time to disassemble the frunk and get fuse box out of the way than to remove the actual strut.

Hi All, have anyone long term experience with repair by tighten of loose nut? I consedering how to repair my noise in front air suspension. I had a little spoke with local unoffical Tesla garage. They told me, that they did repair like this but after each repair strut start to leak air (beacuse of breaked seal at top of strut). Thats what they only recommand to swap whole strut for new one. Any opinions about that state? Regards

Hi All, have anyone long term experience with repair by tighten of loose nut? I consedering how to repair my noise in front air suspension. I had a little spoke with local unoffical Tesla garage. They told me, that they did repair like this but after each repair strut start to leak air (beacuse of breaked seal at top of strut). Thats what they only recommand to swap whole strut for new one. Any opinions about that state? Regards

Proper repair would be to machine a solution since the TAS (Firestone) construction is worse then the EAS (Continental) struts. (That is why this rattle not occurs on 2013-2016.4)

Nut goes loose because there is to much radial slack and not enough clamping surface. Therefore nut breaks loose and even more slack will occur (hole turns oval due to wear, threat from strut disappears and strut will hammer on underside of metal plate in air bellow)

Top seal is just an X-ring that you can replace with a new one so that is really the easiest of the whole issue

Reactions: PaulF2020
Proper repair would be to machine a solution since the TAS (Firestone) construction is worse then the EAS (Continental) struts. (That is why this rattle not occurs on 2013-2016.4)

Nut goes loose because there is to much radial slack and not enough clamping surface. Therefore nut breaks loose and even more slack will occur (hole turns oval due to wear, threat from strut disappears and strut will hammer on underside of metal plate in air bellow)

Top seal is just an X-ring that you can replace with a new one so that is really the easiest of the whole issue
Do you know correct torque it should to torqued down? Also I think it might be worth adding a washer or use flanged nut to clamp it better.

PS. it would be nice for everyone who applied fix to report back how it goes after some time.

Do you know correct torque it should to torqued down? Also I think it might be worth adding a washer or use flanged nut to clamp it better.

PS. it would be nice for everyone who applied fix to report back how it goes after some time.

According to Unplugged 25-27 ft/lbs

I have a refreshed 2017 75D with smart air suspension and only 2K miles. I recently notice some strange noise coming from the front suspension. The noise (which like clink-clunk/click-clunk, like something is loose) is most noticeable when I slowly going over speed bumps. I took the car to the service center in Costa Mesa, CA to have it looked at. I did a ride along with a technician and was able to easily reproduce the noise. I left the car at the service center (SC) for them to further investigate.

Later that day i received a call from SC informing me that what I'm hearing is a known issue specific to dual motor with smart air suspension. The problem comes from the front struts. They said other customers have brought up the same issue in the past, they replaced the struts and the problem comes back a couple of weeks later. They said Tesla engineer are aware of the issue, but no ETA on when/if a fix will be available.

Was wondering if any one else are experiencing this and have gotten some explanation/fix for the issue.
Raise this Via the app, SC will fix 👍🏻