Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reason the strut rattle is heard in the passenger compartment is because of how the sound travels through the frame of the car. The fix that I detailed above stops that noise from traveling. It doesn’t change what goes on within the struts. It simply makes it so the noise is not heard within the car.
Thank you like
I fixed this front end suspension rattle issue with two red shop rags. Two years ago, I had a conversation with a Tesla technician who told me about Tesla Service Bulletin SB-18-31-009 that describes a way to get rid of the suspension noise. Although the bulletin is for 2017-2018 cars, the fix worked perfectly on my 2019 Raven. Even though the "fix" is described in the bulletin as just a way to test the suspension, I have left the fix in place for the past two years and have enjoyed a completely silent driving experience. In other words, the two red shop rags are still in place between the strut braces and the towers, and the shock tower brace bolts are still not reconnected. Every Tesla technician who has seen the car since says it's perfectly safe to drive the car the way it is.

I thought I heard that Tesla finally made some rubber grommets to install between the strut braces and towers as a permanent fix for the rattle, but I'm not totally sure. In the meantime, my shop rag fix has transformed my rattly Model T back into a silent Model S!
Thank you, that is helpful. Did you leave two strut braces in place without the two screws on each side? Or only leave one side with the issues present?
When I experimented with one side without the strut brace attached to it, it was much more dampened, but I still can hear it a little bit.
Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 2.30.03 PM.png

Thank you like

Thank you, that is helpful. Did you leave two strut braces in place without the two screws on each side? Or only leave one side with the issues present?
When I experimented with one side without the strut brace attached to it, it was much more dampened, but I still can hear it a little bit.
View attachment 879923
To answer your question: I removed the bolts from each of the strut braces. I never tried it with just one bolt removed, but since 100% of the noise was gone with both bolts removed, I just left it that way. Also, for what it’s worth (and I don’t know if this matters), I put a zip tie around the brace and shop rag on each side of the car. Hope that helps…

• Informative
Reactions: jacie6056
I want to try to disassemble them myself, the noise is driving me crazy and I'm curious if there is a solution so that I don't disassemble for nothing.
I already replaced a set and after 15.000 km, the noise reappeared.

After you opened the plastic cover, did you tighten the nut?
Were there differences there between nut and screw or did it simply unscrew?
Did you put some protective washer (nordlock or grover) to prevent its loosening or loosening in the future?
And the last question, did it solve the rattle noise? :)

I want to try to disassemble them myself, the noise is driving me crazy and I'm curious if there is a solution so that I don't disassemble for nothing.

Did you put some protective washer (nordlock or grover) to prevent its loosening or loosening in the future?
That last question is totally irrelevant :) ;)

hmm....this is the sound :) How to open the strut and fix? Anyone try?
It's a stupid design flaw, they tried to safe a few cent and this is the result. It's ridiculous Tesla doesn't fix this as goodwill.

I think just retorq with a washer isn't enough on the long term, you need a solution that eliminates all radial movement or it will going to rattle again

I think those nuts are just not tightened enough from the factory. I really have no idea why. Tesla SC correctly identifying it is a problem in a strut and that strut reinforcement is just amplifying so it sounds like it goes from the centre of the cabin. However, what they do is just replace the air strut, which solves the problem until it re-appears again.

What i did i just put some thread lock and tightened it very well. To get to the nut - you need to pop up a spring which used to keep plastic cover in place. unfortunately i didn't take pictures, but once you remove it you'll see it.

Yes, it resolved the issue for me and it is being at least 1y since.

Reactions: aesculus
It's a stupid design flaw, they tried to safe a few cent and this is the result. It's ridiculous Tesla doesn't fix this as goodwill.

I think just retorq with a washer isn't enough on the long term, you need a solution that eliminates all radial movement or it will going to rattle again
It worked in my case, i suggest trying it. It is possible that due to excessive play for a very long period of time there is something else deformed.

It worked in my case, i suggest trying it. It is possible that due to excessive play for a very long period of time there is something else deformed.
Don't get me wrong I hope your fix will last a long time but the strut I opened was pretty worn. Don't think that particular strut I have will hold a long time when I just retorq it. But hey if you can torq them yourself and can stretch a year or two why not.

Don't get me wrong I hope your fix will last a long time but the strut I opened was pretty worn. Don't think that particular strut I have will hold a long time when I just retorq it. But hey if you can torq them yourself and can stretch a year or two why not.
It is worth trying at least, because a lot of folks having the issue after 10k miles or less after strut is replaced. And there is definitely something to check prior to installation of a new one.

Any idea how long you drove it before inspecting it? I would imagine once it gets loose it could start wearing out the hole it's in. Initially its probably just upward/downward noise, but soon it would elongate the hole and then tightening it will not help much or for long. How much time you have after identifying the noise and tightening is anyone's guess.