Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattles, Rattles…Everywhere

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Relatively early adopter with a September 2020 build. Currently at 37000 miles and never needed to bring the car in for major service. I think it is a tremendous car that balances practicality with fun. However, in all my years of driving, 40 plus, I have never owned a car that rattles so incessantly. The back seat squeaks and chirps no matter the road type. Moving or reclining the seats makes little difference. The dash too at times likes to add to the chorus. It‘s unclear too if more rattles are made beyond the back seat. Further, any temporary fix to one squeak, seems to create another. It’s quite frustrating and maddening.

Mostly, I try to ignore all this, but it is getting harder as the sounds grow more prominent. It is actually a bit embarrassing, at times, if I have someone new in the car. They are like, how much did you pay for this?

Again, I do like the car very much, as I have stated. My big concern is moving forward. If things are this noisy at 37000, what will the next years bring?

Relatively early adopter with a September 2020 build. Currently at 37000 miles and never needed to bring the car in for major service. I think it is a tremendous car that balances practicality with fun. However, in all my years of driving, 40 plus, I have never owned a car that rattles so incessantly. The back seat squeaks and chirps no matter the road type. Moving or reclining the seats makes little difference. The dash too at times likes to add to the chorus. It‘s unclear too if more rattles are made beyond the back seat. Further, any temporary fix to one squeak, seems to create another. It’s quite frustrating and maddening.

Mostly, I try to ignore all this, but it is getting harder as the sounds grow more prominent. It is actually a bit embarrassing, at times, if I have someone new in the car. They are like, how much did you pay for this?

Again, I do like the car very much, as I have stated. My big concern is moving forward. If things are this noisy at 37000, what will the next years bring?
Same car, same purchase month, same issues...Back seat rattles, dash has no rattles some days and others it rattles non-stop (like now), seat belt tensioner buzzes beside my ear as well. I keep planning to address the issues one by one, but never really want to find the time to do it as I fear it will be an endless goose chase...

Last edited:
I found this video very helpful in quieting my Tesla. Very easy fix as well.

Yeah this is a good and informative video. I was having rattling on the seat belt tensioner and tried to apply his fix based on his instructions. But noise on mine was not coming from same place as his, with a bit of pressing and taping here and there, listening how the plastic interacting I was able to add some foam in a place that fixed or at least improved a lot.

I took once to service center and was useless, they did a test drive on the car and stated "could not reproduce the noise", I give them even video evidence with sound recording and it was not enough for them to take it seriously.

I dont mind doing the fixes myself and most of them are easy fix, but difficult part is to identify where they are coming from. I would need someone to drive the car while I do the noise hunting.

Reactions: Dayreg
I have an early 2020 build as well and one place that rattles/squeaks like crazy are the rear seat headrests. When the car starts getting noisy, I make sure the rear headrests are pushed down against the top of the rear seats and that quiets them down.

I also find that the rear seat belts make rattle noises as well - just making sure they are fully retracted tends to quiet them down as well.

Finally, I have a tire inflator and some other stuff in the side well in the rear and if I have been rooting around in there it tends to make some rubbing/squeaking until I rearrange them.

Thanks for the support and suggestions from each of you. I will use the video for help later this weekend. Having said this, I’m pretty sure this is not my main issue. In the future, hopefully Tesla will become more realistic about these types of issues and better work to rectify them.