Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattling in Headliner MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a crazy rattle in the headliner between my falcon doors!!! I tried doing a search and didn’t see anything on this. I took delivery three days ago on 12/21 and now the noise won’t stop. Worst thing is appointments are out weeks into January and I have to get back to MI from spending the holidays in IL. VERY FRUSTRATING.

I had this happen. My advise is to get someone in the back while the sound is happening and have them find the rattle and press in the spot in question to see if it stops. The rattle might not be coming from where you think. It certainly wasn’t in my case (I didn’t suspect the headliner initially).

The clips that hold the headliner in place can release if not probably installed and then rattle.

In my case I also needed to have the entire top glass replaced and that involved removing the headliner. New clips were used to reinstall.

I had a loose screw rolling around in my head....liner.

I thought about bringing it to the SC, but the wait times were crazy and the sound was so annoying that I just decided to fix it myself.

First, make sure the sound is actually coming from the headliner. I sat in the back seat while my wife carefully veered side to side on an empty road. I could clearly hear something metallic rolling around above my head.

Next, carefully pry the headliner down using some plastic trim removal tools. In my case, I needed to wedge a few of them in strategic places just above the rear seat before I finally had enough room to get my fingers between the headliner and the center beam to pull it loose. You may need to unplug a few wiring harnesses to lower the headliner enough to get your hands in there. Give the lowered headliner a few taps to reveal the culprit, then use any method you can to remove the item. I found success using some scotch tape at the end of a screwdriver. If you have something flexible with a magnet at the tip, that would be ideal. Be careful, as there's plenty of thin sheetmetal inside the roof structure that can cut up your hands. Ask me how I know.

When done, plug all the harnesses back in, then align and pop the headliner back into place.

Best of luck!