Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattling noise from seat belt tensioner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SC was never able to fix mine. Took it it about 5 times. I think only the last time they did something because they had excuses for all the other times that they could not reproduce. The last time they added some anti rattle tape in the area. They did not fix the issue though. The rattle is now lower pitch and less annoying but still there. I guess you can't fix a poor design.

Reactions: geekfam and KBaoBao
Good news all: I worked for a while on this issue and have it solved. Total cost is about $5. After three attempts from Tesla, I can drive without a rattle in my ear. Bring deaf in the opposite ear, this was almost game over for this car.

What you need:
Felt Tape or Felt Drawer Liner
Option 1: https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Backed-Black-Felt-Tape/dp/B0141C4MUG
Option 2: Pressure Sensitive Felt Sheets
Time
Willingness to tear apart your new car

1: Open the front and rear door on the impacted side
2: Lean the seats next to the rattling adjuster back a ways
3: Grab the bottom of the textile section of the B pillar from the bottom, just under the door seals.
4: Slowly pull the section away from the black plastic section. This doesn't pop should just come loose.
5: Pop the top of this section off from near the roofline
6: The rattles come from 3 areas: The sliding section, the frame, and the actuator. all of the padding you will add is on the trim, not the metal adjuster.
7: Apply felt to the following areas:
A: Large section (roughly 1.5" by 3") where the sliding section goes under the top mounting points. This is likely the source of noise and completely eliminated the noise. You will need to remove the slide and apply felt to the main trim assembly. This will cover all of the random ends of the cover fabric in this location.
B: Apply a small bit of felt to all 6 of the gray tabs that touch the body when this is assembled
C: Apple a small bit of felt to the white actuator on the back of the button. This is the interface between the button and the actual mechanical adjustor.
D: Anywhere else you see plastic on plastic movement in this assembly.
8: Example all plastic welds in this assembly. I had one in the upper rear section that was not welded at all. I used a soldering iron to fuse the plastic in this location.
9: Reinstall. It's easiest to have the adjustor lowered all the way down and match the sliding section to it. Make sure to pull your door seals over the trim you removed.

Now that I know this is fixed, I will be doing the other side and capturing some photos for everyone next week.

View attachment 317362 anyone getting a rattling noise from this area? It is intermittent but is getting worse and at times it can be very irritating as where I have my seat adjusted it is about as close as it can get to my ear, just wondering if it’s something many people noticed and if so have had the SC address it.
I was having a rattle and to be honest still have it, but what shocked me was when I finally noticed last week that both front seat belt adjusters were recessed from the B-pillar trim by about half an inch and I couldn’t make either slide up or down. I looked at our other Model 3 and it looked like your picture looks. So, I popped off the B-pillar trim around the seat belt tensioner/adjuster and realized the adjuster wasn’t attached to the trim. Basically the adjuster that moves the belt up and down is supposed to ride up and down a groove on the backside of the B-pillar trim. Neither side was on the groove and was just loosely sitting behind the trim. I figured how to get it to all line up and got them to work properly. Unfortunately it didn’t fix the rattle.

• Informative
Reactions: gilscales
I had the same problem. Turned out to be a problem with one of the red bolts below being loose. It made the black piece rattle around.

The service center fixed it. I suppose this could be fixed by someone coming out in a Tesla repair vehicle and not having to go out to a Service Center.

Belt Problem.png

so just Insulated and nothing is replace? Doesn't really seem like a real fix...
It is when the design is the issue. The rubber washer for the belt holder is not the source of flutter/rattle on my 2020. I only experience the flutter at highway speeds. Tesla gave up on assisting so I'm going to take it apart, diagnose and hush-mat tape contact areas.

First step is taking the pillar off and driving with it removed. I'll start a thread with repair details once complete.

So I drove around with the B-pillar upper trim removed. My seat-belt adjuster is NOT rattling at all. I'm getting a metallic flutter that is coming from the upper area beyond the white plastic trim the looks to be part of the headliner retention. Seems to be inside the body structure at the roof line.

Because this only occurs at speeds over 50mph I have a strange suspicion that it could be air coming in via the lower A-pillar and travelling all the way through the body channel and aggravating something loose inside. More investigation will continue as time permits....