Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raven "Rated" Watts Per Mile and Real World Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious, are you usually driving in ludicrous mode or sport? I've stayed away from routine driving in ludicrous mode in my new Raven thinking it's less efficient, but maybe I should rethink it!

Depends on how good your right foot discipline is. Ludicrous isn't inherently less efficient, at the same rate of acceleration. But it's ever so much easier to push the acceleration harder, with predictable results.

I did the first few weeks in Sport and occasionally dipping into Ludicrous, and have been doing Ludicrous full time lately.

Reactions: vapor trail
Curious, are you usually driving in ludicrous mode or sport? I've stayed away from routine driving in ludicrous mode in my new Raven thinking it's less efficient, but maybe I should rethink it!

After about a week I put it in ludicrous mode and have left it there. Unless you push it (on purpose lol) it will give you the exact same performance. I ALMOST always use AutoPilot so it never even gets close

Reactions: vapor trail
Didn't mean to hijack thread with my ludicrous question. Maybe I'll switch over and enjoy it a bit more! Really glad to see the Raven is more efficient (especially since I gave up free supercharging with my trade). I haven't been able to enjoy autopilot yet. Stuck in calibration. Service center scheduled this week....

Didn't mean to hijack thread with my ludicrous question. Maybe I'll switch over and enjoy it a bit more! Really glad to see the Raven is more efficient (especially since I gave up free supercharging with my trade). I haven't been able to enjoy autopilot yet. Stuck in calibration. Service center scheduled this week....
Had FUSC on both of my previous Model S’ and used it maybe 5 times total. As a daily commuter car of ~100 miles a day I never have need to SC as I plug in every night.

Over the lifetime of my former P85D it averaged 392 Wh/mile (244Wh/km) over total 58,751 miles (94,552 km) driven. Needless to say, I'm heavy on the right foot, but also drive quite many shorter rides with lots of starts and stops.

Let's see how my new Raved does - once I actually get it! (going absolutely insane waiting) o_O

• Love
Reactions: boonedocks
watts per mile for the various Raven configurations?
watts per mile numbers at 75 or 80 mph
The correct units are watt-hours per mile (Wh/mile). Everyone else or virtually everyone else here got the units right. The vehicle's instrumentation is also correct in its usage of units. Watts per mile makes no sense.

Reactions: outdoors
The correct units are watt-hours per mile (Wh/mile). Everyone else or virtually everyone else here got the units right. The vehicle's instrumentation is also correct in its usage of units. Watts per mile makes no sense.

I had always thought for example, a 100 W light bulb uses 100 W per hour so 15 minutes would be 25 W. Thanks for pointing out the error of not using the proper Wh/mile description. I stand corrected.

It may be a bit early to tell (460 miles) but so far I am seeing an approximate 6% decrease in Wh/mile from 347 with the P90DL (lifetime) to 326 with the new P100DL. I was expecting to see it about a 10% efficiency increase. It looks like I have a long way to go to match others on this thread in the 275 range.

Does anyone know the rated Wh\mile in the latest S and X?

Keep in mind that for most places, June and July are going to be the most efficient months of the year

I actually have a question about this... (because I truly want to know more about this).

I understand in the winter you need to use your heater so therefore efficiency goes down, but in the summer I find myself using my AC more and preconditioning the car more before getting in and I'm seeing my efficiency as significantly worse than during the spring/fall. I know not every climate is the same and San Diego is pretty forgiving in terms of temperatures, but having the AC running when it's hot seems like it wouldn't make the the most efficient time, right?

My average over 56k miles
2015 P90D with 21in wheels

Your ~ 350 Wh/mi average is almost identical to my 2015 P85D+ with 21" Arachnid wheels and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires in mixed freeway cruising and stop 'n slow SoCal traffic.

However I think most PXXD owners think of :Ds per mile vs. Wh/mi. HyperMilers better suited to XXD, not PXXD cars... but good to know the efficiency is better with Ravens = fewer Supercharger stops.

Reactions: AMPd
I actually have a question about this... (because I truly want to know more about this).

I understand in the winter you need to use your heater so therefore efficiency goes down, but in the summer I find myself using my AC more and preconditioning the car more before getting in and I'm seeing my efficiency as significantly worse than during the spring/fall. I know not every climate is the same and San Diego is pretty forgiving in terms of temperatures, but having the AC running when it's hot seems like it wouldn't make the the most efficient time, right?

Tires matter more than anything else. The colder the tire, the less pliable it is, and the more energy it takes to roll. The hotter the tire, the more pliable it becomes, and as such the easier to roll. In summer the hot weather warms the car, raising AC usage, but also raises the tire efficiency which basically offsets the AC usage. The winter though, the colder it gets the more energy for heat, and the more energy to roll the tires. Winter tires actually help with this to a point as they have be more abrasive to work on ice. Drive winter tires on a 50 degree F day, and be surprised by your range.

If you happen to have a climate controlled automotive test cell you can prove this out by running the car under these various conditions (cold soaked temp, low/no cabin heat vs cabin heat on high). It just so happens the US Government has one in the ChicagoLand area and during a tour the guys who run it were very clear, cold tires kill range, the heater might matter a little, but nothing compared to the tires.