Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real world Model Y RWD efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today on my commute to work I noticed that I was down to 23% charge, and remembered that I had topped up last Friday. Whilst sitting in traffic, I decided to check the trip meter and it helpfully pointed out that I had done 397kms since the last charge.

Now almost all of these kms have been below 80km/h, but they've also been delivered in a spirited manner dealing with the cut and thrust of Sydney traffic. To add to that Sentry has eaten away at some of the charge when it's been parked at various locations.

I'm mighty impressed with that efficiency, and surprised that I could squeeze out a 500km range from a full charge (which is double what I can get from a full tank of e85 from my ICE :p)

That is outstanding @Maximillan. Just to confirm, you assess that 77% gave you 397kms (you were 100% on Friday), and therefore 1% = 5.15km, so all being equal you would get circa 500km if continued on and drained?

I am getting nowhere near that efficiency on a month-old 1200km RWD 3 with similar Sydney conditions... maybe in time...

One Q please: The 'since last charge' trip meter is excellent - when it works. A few times, I charge to 100% and drive off, and it does not reset.
A known issue, unusual or possible user error? I don't see a manual reset option for that meter and can't see much talk on the topic. Cheers.

That's impressive... I haven't been able to get such a stat for myself since my "daily drive" is a lot of short drives, uphill/downhill repeatedly, a lot of being parked for 8 hours with sentry on and occasionally cabin overheat protection.

On my long trips (which have a lot of 100-110 km/h sections) I can typically (using the same sort of maths as you have) get a 370-380 km range. Maybe 40-50 km less in extremely poor weather. I could imagine that mostly 60-80 km/h driving could get significantly more, close to the numbers you've given.

This is for the Model 3 which is slightly lighter than the Model Y but otherwise identical to yours (60 kWh LFP, etc).

A few times, I charge to 100% and drive off, and it does not reset.
A known issue, unusual or possible user error? I don't see a manual reset option for that meter and can't see much talk on the topic. Cheers.
I haven't had that problem, but given that it's not unusual for the occasional bug to be introduced into a Tesla, it is a possibility. I'll start to monitor it closely.

Reactions: BegaPride