Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real-world range anxiety - first experience!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does not take into account a headwind. And there is speculation it takes into account the current temperature, but not the destination temperature.

Once you're driving, if you're watching that graph, it'll show you how close you are to the prediction (gray line). If you're following the gray line, nothing to worry about. If you're above the gray line, even better. If you're below the gray line, slow down or find a closer SpC.

That trip graph is VERY accurate. It's not perfect, but it's REALLY good.

See the all caps letters, that's how good it is ;)
Do you happen to know what speed it uses for the prediction? Max limit road speed is likely I guess since that is the most likely data input.

It's been a long while so I'm not sure if current versions still do it, but at least in the past when your state of charge was low the car would say something to the effect of "Stay below xx MPH to reach your destination."

Edit:

I found this picture:
1496792359013560723.jpg

However, now I'm not 100% sure I remember whether the car recommends a maximum speed or not. I thought it did, at least at some point.
Thanks. My wife mentioned a warning to ‘stay below 70mph’ once now I come to think of it. This must have been why

Do you happen to know what speed it uses for the prediction? Max limit road speed is likely I guess since that is the most likely data input.
I don't know.

I know in the summer I was doing +10mph over the speed limit and following the gray line (so I was within the prediction). In the winter, the same +10mph makes me lower my SOC at my destination.

And now during this arctic blast with the temp in the teens, the trip prediction is WAAAAAYYYY off, even going the speed limit.

It's been a long while so I'm not sure if current versions still do it, but at least in the past when your state of charge was low the car would say something to the effect of "Stay below xx MPH to reach your destination."

Edit:

I found this picture:
1496792359013560723.jpg

However, now I'm not 100% sure I remember whether the car recommends a maximum speed or not. I thought it did, at least at some point.
It does, it tells you to stay below XX miles. But that's not to reach the SpC with 0% SOC, I believe that's to reach it with about 7% SOC. So it's a good safety net, but if you speed you could still make it.

It's been a while but the last time I cut it close I skipped the South Hill SC after topping off in Burlington, NC to get to Richmond. Wife and kids were in the car, all asleep. I got home with 6.5 miles of charge remaining. Wife's already a nervous wreck on range whenever we go long distances so I chose to not let her in on my risky little gambit.