Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real world range of Performance model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hydro 481

Sep 4, 2017
USA
I’m curious what people are getting in terms of real world range? I tried Googling it but didn’t find much about the Peformance version. I did see an article mention the long range rwd getting 334 miles which is far above the rated 310. I know the Peformance will obviously be less due to bigger wheels and awd. But is it fairly close to 310? I’m asking because I’m planning to make a trip that’s around 270 miles. Is this doable with no charge stop if I drive conservatively? I know weather also plays a huge role but I live San Diego so it’s usually nice here.

Are you planning on making that drive at 55-60 Miles per hour? If so you "might" make it. If not (and its unlikely that you would be making any trip that long from san diego that doesnt involve freeway speeds above 70 miles per hour in parts), then I would plan on a stop.

Also, assuming you could actually "make it" driving very very conservatively 270 miles... what are you going to do when you get there? Wouldnt it be much better to just plan a stop for 30 minutes at a supercharger between "here" and "there" and grab some food or something while you are there?

Last edited:
I don't have estimated, "true", mileage yet; but I'm guessing we're in the 220 - 240 actual range from a charge of 280. My driving is probably 60-90 mph (higher end) non aggressive. I plan to start tracking after my next charge.

I’m curious what people are getting in terms of real world range? I tried Googling it but didn’t find much about the Peformance version. I did see an article mention the long range rwd getting 334 miles which is far above the rated 310. I know the Peformance will obviously be less due to bigger wheels and awd. But is it fairly close to 310? I’m asking because I’m planning to make a trip that’s around 270 miles. Is this doable with no charge stop if I drive conservatively? I know weather also plays a huge role but I live San Diego so it’s usually nice here.

If you have the P3D+ that is going to be very, very tight! Don't use the heat. And draft off people. Let us know! It's the "wheels", but actually the tires that are the "problem," not the wheel size. They're great tires though. If it's raining don't bother trying, as you say. No rain in the forecast though. If you have P3D Stealth I think you'll be fine as long as you don't use the heat and drive efficiently.

Having driven P85DL for four years and now P3D+ I find the two to be roughly the same effective range the way I drive. Assuming SoCal typical weather and no mountains I plan to stop to recharge every 180 miles or so, allowing for a 90% charge and leaving 20% or so, and assuming I'll end out with ~290 Wh/mi. FWIW I did hypermile with both cars in calm, flat, ~70F conditions. At a steady 50 mph I had 226 Wh/mi for the P3D+ and 237 Wh/mi for the P85DL. That is the only way I could actually achieve rated range in the P3D+ while the P85DL beat rated range by a good margin.

Logically I think it is because the P3D+ does not have a separate EPA range while the official EPA for the 3LRRWD is 334 miles, downrated by Tesla to 310.
If the range really were important in the P3D+ I'd buy aftermarket 18" wheels, which I'll probably do anyway.

Most likely you would make it. As you drive along your display will tell you if you need to slow down to reach your destination with the reserve you have set.

Far better idea though is to plan a stop 2/3-3/4 of the way. That way you will drive the way you wish and arrive at your destination with range to spare. Your Tesla will charge rapidly if you stick to the middle of it's range. Just grab 100-150 miles at your stop.

This will allow you to do the same thing on your way home. You will need to stop somewhere on your round trip to charge up anyways. Will save you from running your battery down to the orange zone or needing to charge again up to 100% (both harder on your battery than running in the middle :)

I’m asking because I’m planning to make a trip that’s around 270 miles. Is this doable with no charge stop if I drive conservatively?
I really don't get why so many new owners are so determined to avoid using the best, cheapest, fastest, most reliable charging that exists on planet Earth and stressing themselves out doing it.

Far better idea though is to plan a stop 2/3-3/4 of the way. That way you will drive the way you wish and arrive at your destination with range to spare.

Yeah--this! It won't kill you to plan to hit up a Supercharger at one point in that 270 miles for about 15 minutes, rather than worrying yourself to death white-knuckling trying to make it without charging.

I recommend that you plan a stop at a super charger (unless it's way out of the way). So, either you drive at 60-65 mph and get there in 4.15-4.5 hours (and then deal with charging), or you drive normally at 70-75, stop for 30 minutes to charge, and get there in 4.1-4.35 hours.

It is possible to get low to mid 200 Wh/mile, but that's not typically at highway speeds. If it is, it will need to be a flat highway. YMMV

Reactions: P85_DA
When I took my performance model home from Kansas City to Des Moines, the range started at 290 miles, the trip itself was 192 miles and I got home with only 19 miles of range remaining. This was cruising from 70-72mph the entire way. About halfway through the trip I shut off the heat because I realized it was going to be tight. It wasn't a particularly cold night, think it was about 40 degrees out. Really don't think you'd be able to do 270 miles but maybe, if conditions are optimal.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
When I took my performance model home from Kansas City to Des Moines, the range started at 290 miles, the trip itself was 192 miles and I got home with only 19 miles of range remaining. This was cruising from 70-72mph the entire way. About halfway through the trip I shut off the heat because I realized it was going to be tight. It wasn't a particularly cold night, think it was about 40 degrees out. Really don't think you'd be able to do 270 miles but maybe, if conditions are optimal.

Seems about right. You probably used at least 3+kW of heat for about 1.5 hours, about 5kWh, which is about 20 miles of rated range. Probably actual use was higher. If it was raining or windy or you were not drafting at those speeds, that’s more loss. Plus brand new tires are less flexible and slightly higher rolling resistance. All adds up. Ideal conditions, with efforts made to draft, reasonably flat route - I think 270 is possible.

I think people push to avoid supercharging for the same reason they push the gas tank to empty - they want to know how far they can really go, just that one time at least. Then the novelty wears off.

Reactions: OverJohn
It wasn't a particularly cold night, think it was about 40 degrees out.

face-screaming-in-fear_1f631.png

Which wheels you have makes a huge difference:

Troy Teslike on Twitter

On the (rare) occasion that I drive conservatively, my range is pretty good, but I have the 18" wheels (I have the performance model 3 without the extra performance package). If you have the 20" wheels I'd probably plan on stopping. Either way, being open to stopping will make the trip more fun. You don't want to have to be worrying about not having the heater on and driving exactly the speed limit.

...... planning to make a trip that’s around 270 miles. Is this doable with no charge stop if I drive conservatively? I know weather also plays a huge role but I live San Diego so it’s usually nice here.

Not just weather, elevation plays a role too. And not to mention the winds which are a considerable factor in California. I would use A Better Routeplanner, which takes into account all of these factors to plan a route between source and destination. If you know your reference consumption (style of driving), then you can input that too.

I just tried planning a route 260 miles up north from San Diego and have attached the screenshot with all the various options you can set. Importantly once the route plan is shown, you can click on any part of route and it will give you planned consumption, elevation, speed etc just for that segment.

route-details.jpg

Not just weather, elevation plays a role too. And not to mention the winds which are a considerable factor in California. I would use A Better Routeplanner, which takes into account all of these factors to plan a route between source and destination. If you know your reference consumption (style of driving), then you can input that too.

I just tried planning a route 260 miles up north from San Diego and have attached the screenshot with all the various options you can set. Importantly once the route plan is shown, you can click on any part of route and it will give you planned consumption, elevation, speed etc just for that segment.

View attachment 363559

Thanks for the site recommendation!

While possible with very slow driving, I'd echo others recommendations that you plan a stop along the way. With an electric car you really want to stay away from the bottom and top 10% of the charge state. So as soon as you leave a little buffer of 30 miles on the bottom or top of the pack you had better stop for a quick charge, as you only started with 250 actual usable miles.

Also, the P3D+ tires and rims are quite the range hog. I'd assume that 270 wh/mi is about the best you will do with "Normal" 65-70 mph driving, on smooth roads, with high tire pressure, and no elevation changes or cold weather. Although hopeful, I have not managed less than 270 wh/mi myself. Most P3D owners are getting more like 290-300 wh/mi. To get the full rated range you'd have to drive at 242 wh/mi. I have yet to manage that on flat roads, and normal freeway speeds.

A couple things to remember: charging is VERY rapid around 20-50% SoC, I will usually see 400 MPH+ for this part of my charge. If you get below 20% SoC you start getting your charge speed throttled, so arriving at 5-10% charge is not only hard on your battery, but slower to charge. Also, what would happen if the road had an accident and was closed? It's quite possible to see a 15-30 mile detour, and that is all it would take for you to need a tow. There will be times where you want to use a full 310 mile charge, but if you don't need it, don't stress your battery to 100%. Similar to charging at very low SoC, charging at high SoC will also be very slow, so avoid it unless necessary.

I just got my performance model 3 and I'm getting more total range from my model S 75 than the model 3. I've tried driving like grandma in the PM3 and able to get it down to 275 watt per mile but I'm still losing about 15 miles every 50 miles of driving. I know having the 20" rims aren't as efficient as the aeros but this ridiculous.