Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Realized today I'm a better driver because of Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lynnpt2001

Cookie Monster MX & M3
Sep 9, 2015
Greencastle PA
Been driving a long time, so much so I have to admit I was in the habit of changing lanes everywhere without using a turn signal. Now that I have Emergency Lane Departure feature which requires me to use my turn signal when changing lanes, I now use my signal all the time. It has required me to use it on every lane change, and I now use it on every turn. It has sort of forced me into better habits and I know everyone around me appreciates it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always tried to use my turn signals and a pet peeve is people that never use their turn signals. Not only is it showing consideration of others around you but it is also defensive in letting others know your intentions, so maybe they will be less likely to run into you.

Now with Lane Departure Warning and Emergency Lane Departure, like you, I have a constant reminder in the event that I forget to use a turn signal. I really appreciate Tesla making us safer, in spite of ourselves.

I’ve already posted how ELDA saved me from a crash, so it has proved its value.

Less impressive and not amenable to signaling: I moved the car to the right side of my lane and crossed the lane marker to avoid some road debris in the center. ELDA pulled me right back into the center of the lane and over the debris. Not what I was aiming for.

I don’t routinely signal for road debris. Not as a matter of second nature.

This needs work.

Does the car beep or something if you don’t signal?

Many modern cars give a ‘shudder’ in the steering when the lane line is crossed and the ‘Lane departure warning’ is turned on. Seems the Model 3 gives more than a shudder; it actively steers the car back into the lane (can be seen in the EuroNCAP crash test published recently).

I actually had a friend with a new Giulia wonder what had happened when he was passing a vehicle on a cold and foggy morning - reported a kick in the steering - and I asked him “did you use the turn signal?” - “No, why?” - “next time, try that...” - and he reported back that it prevented the warning. So, not only the Model 3 but many other cars :)

-Alex

Last edited:
Less impressive and not amenable to signaling: I moved the car to the right side of my lane and crossed the lane marker to avoid some road debris in the center. ELDA pulled me right back into the center of the lane and over the debris. Not what I was aiming for.

Well that’s more than a warning isn’t it... sounds rather scary if it is not possible to override the steering correction that the car applies? I thought it would work like the lane departure warning in other cars, e.g. VW Golf.

-Alex

• Love
Reactions: MMBTUS
Agreed with all the comments here. The only downside is complacency... it’s a little easy to rely on AP more than I should... luckily it tries to steer me someplace to don’t want to go often enough I’m not fully trusting... yet.

Reactions: Msjulie
I’ve already posted how ELDA saved me from a crash, so it has proved its value.

I don’t routinely signal for road debris. Not as a matter of second nature.

This needs work.

You can always override ELDA by keeping the wheel turned where you want it. You are always in control.

Reactions: Ctyler