TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rear Bumper Scrape - How to Fix?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by hadfiiw, Aug 30, 2015.

1. hadfiiw

hadfiiw Member

So I got a bit of a scrape while in a parking lot today. Luckily, it did not scrape the paint or light - just the rear bumper (plastic?)

What would be the best way to fix that? I'm thinking I can just clean it up but wasn't sure what cleaner to buy.

Thanks!

IMG_3963.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

(now onto finding a thread on why the picture is upside-down)

2. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Rubbing compound should take off that paint you stole from whatever you hit. I'd give that a try first.
    Lots of different brands. Turtle Wax, 3M, Meguiers, etc. Any should work. You don't need to spend more than $10.

3. Tampaukfan

Tampaukfan Member

DONT use a compound, you can make the matte finish shiny or introduce scratches.
    Try using a microfiber and mild cleaner like Simple Green first, then try a polish.

4. linkster

linkster Member

+1 !

start with the LEAST aggressive technique/pressure/soaps/cleaners first such as car wash soap -> simple green -> waxes that contain a minute amount of cleaner

5. hadfiiw

hadfiiw Member

Sorry, should have been a bit more clear. Someone hit us while we were away from the car.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks all!!! Will give that a shot.

6. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

You definitely don't want to use a compound or polish (or wax or sealant) on trim. It can make it look worse. That's why these areas are taped off when paint correction is done. Try Goof Off, Stoners Tarminator or Carpro Tar-X. You can try soap and an APC, but you'll probably need something more potent. After you're done, hit the trim with Carpo DLUX.

7. MoeMistry

MoeMistry Local Vendor - SoCal

Excellent advice...you can even try just rubbing alcohol on mf towel. If you're lucky, it's just paint transfer and it'll wipe right off. As mentioned, protect it with a plastic conditioner like CarPro Perl or a nano coating such as CarPro DLUX.