Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made the mistake in assuming my M3SR+ had that, and learned quickly that it doesn't. My 2012 Charger had it so I just assumed that my $50k 2019 new car that had everything else had it too. Puzzling why they decided not to include this feature. I found it very very useful.

I made the mistake in assuming my M3SR+ had that, and learned quickly that it doesn't. My 2012 Charger had it so I just assumed that my $50k 2019 new car that had everything else had it too. Puzzling why they decided not to include this feature. I found it very very useful.
They didn’t include radars in the bumpers like other manufacturers do and would have to use the cameras. I suspect adding this feature is way down the list of Tesla Vision priorities.

They didn’t include radars in the bumpers like other manufacturers do and would have to use the cameras. I suspect adding this feature is way down the list of Tesla Vision priorities.
Cars don't use radar for this but just use the ultrasonic sensors. Surprised Tesla doesn't have this and will miss it. On my car it will vibrate seat and point a red arrow on the backup display in the direction a car is coming. Also will pick up people and bikes. Of course Tesla could simple add it in a update.

Also due to visibility issues it is likely that any implementation will not be as good as radar in the bumpers. The rear camera is wide angle, but not as wide as the bumper radars in other cars. And the other cameras are way too far forward to be useful when parked between cars.

Cars don't use radar for this but just use the ultrasonic sensors.

At least some do use radar (same one as for blind spot monitoring), and it works really well. Ultrasonics may be used supplementally. My Toyota Highlander has it, and it is helpful. And based on the range, I am quite sure it is a radar implementation. It often alerts me before I have any ability to see the cross traffic.

Last edited:
Reactions: dmurphy
At least some do use radar (same one as for blind spot monitoring), and it works really well. Ultrasonics may be used supplementally. My Toyota Highlander has it, and it is helpful. And based on the range, I am quite sure it is a radar implementation. It often alerts me before I have any ability to see the cross traffic.

Near object sensing (bike in the driveway etc) may use the ultrasonic sensors, but actual cross-traffic alerts need radar. As you said, the range is why - ultrasonic can’t see traffic inbound.

An odd omission - for a car loaded with cameras and sensors, and a front radar ... why not the rear? It can’t be a terribly expensive part - so many commodity vehicles have them ....

Near object sensing (bike in the driveway etc) may use the ultrasonic sensors, but actual cross-traffic alerts need radar. As you said, the range is why - ultrasonic can’t see traffic inbound.

An odd omission - for a car loaded with cameras and sensors, and a front radar ... why not the rear? It can’t be a terribly expensive part - so many commodity vehicles have them ....
Looks like some cars use radar and some use ultrasonic (probably most). My car uses ultrasonic sensors and it works fine. In a parking lot 25' to 30' is a good amount of warning. So no reason why Tesla can't add it. And while at that add a 360º overhead camera view too.

EDIT: Just to add Tesla could even use the cameras to identify cars in addition to the ultrasonics.

How blind-spot monitoring works

Rear Cross Traffic Alert - My Car Does What

Last edited:

Lots of first time German car owners make the mistake of thinking "of course my expensive car comes with the same things that cheap kia / hyundai's do standard", and then find out they dont. Its understandable (no one would think that a 70k SUV would not come with some feature that a 35K one would) but that happens.

I only mention it because, its very important for anyone who reads this thread to know that the cost of the car has absolutely zero zip nada to do with what features it might or might not have on / in it. In fact, the farther you go up the chain, the LESS likely some feature or other is to be "standard" or "included".

Reactions: dmurphy
Cars don't use radar for this but just use the ultrasonic sensors. Surprised Tesla doesn't have this and will miss it. On my car it will vibrate seat and point a red arrow on the backup display in the direction a car is coming. Also will pick up people and bikes. Of course Tesla could simple add it in a update.

My 2016 Golf R definitely used RADAR for the rear traffic alert. Was so handy since it would alert me to cars coming before I even saw them, while reversing out of a space.

My car uses ultrasonic sensors and it works fine. In a parking lot 25' to 30' is a good amount of warning.

I thought you had an ELR? Maybe you have an earlier year or something? As far as I can tell it uses radar (for the blind spot monitoring, but also this is used for RCTA typically).

Cadillac ELR Sensor. MODULE. Spot. Blind. COMPONENTS, BUMPER, ELECTRICAL - 84007647 | Autonation Chevrolet, Greenacres FL

But, your car, so you probably know for sure what it uses. Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong year or the situation is more complicated.

In any case ultrasonics typically have range under 20 feet and I think that's a little low for parking lots (though better than nothing for sure, and you could certainly pick up humans when backing up).

According to the ELR manual the range of that RCTA system is about 65 feet (it may be greater but that is when it warns you).