Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Chrome "TESLA" text painted - and car named...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Inspired by you, I bought the medium sharpie set, and one of the colors is pretty much exactly Tesla's red. I'm thinking it will look great on the Big Gay Car. I'll probably do it this weekend, after I convince Pat and myself that it isn't a big mistake, and post pics.

Well, first we tried all the colors that we thought might look good. I did this by covering the letters with sticky tape, then roughly painting the tape. We tried black, pink, purple, red, and magenta.

IMAG0119.jpg

We decided that the red clashed too much, and actually liked the purple best. So here's the result. Sorry I'm not a very good photographer.

IMAG0121.jpg

Aaron: thanks for the idea!

Liz G

That's is classy, very nicely done.
I have to ask ... how did you do that? Worth the price of admission!
I would still make the TESLA on the rim black.
As is "I've seen the future and it's parked in my drive way."

Uppercase Living. You can custom design the applique. Really easy to put on. They have a design studio so you can see what it will look like and how big it will be. Have to be careful on the font and font size you pick.

I will br coloring in the letters as soon as I can get my hands on some touch up paint. Also waiting on my new licence plate holder. Then she will be all decked out.

Ok, went to their site. Confusing navigation. Finally found it. What surface did you use?

I just used the regular surface as it's seemed to work well with mirrors in the past and the chrome has the same smooth surface. It was only $15 shipped so I figured if the regular surface doesn't hold up I'll just replace with the other one.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, first we tried all the colors that we thought might look good. I did this by covering the letters with sticky tape, then roughly painting the tape. We tried black, pink, purple, red, and magenta.

View attachment 19700

We decided that the red clashed too much, and actually liked the purple best. So here's the result. Sorry I'm not a very good photographer.

View attachment 19701

Purple was an excellent choice.

@ggr - Have you considered coloring the "Signature" as well?

Something like this?

View attachment 19727

Random observation: That was pretty fast. I must be getting the hang of this picture voodoo thing. :)

I thought about it, but I'm not sure I have a good enough hand to do it. The raised letters were easy to "stay within the lines", but with the etched "Signature" I was afraid I'd go outside, and then not be able to undo it if it sucked, because the paint would be in the rough bit.

View attachment 19700

View attachment 19701

ggr

Looks GREAT!

Aaron

Let me know if you find dark blue. I think it would look great but worried the blue will be hard to match as dark/metallic.
In case it helps:
Amazon.com: Sharpie Fine-Tip Permanent Marker, 24-Pack Assorted Colors: Office Products

Update: Free shipping is dangerous. I ordered one. If I remember I'll try to take a picture with a blue S or with the sample from the store sometime.

commenter Wells said:
that colored sharpie in the top row second from the left is what I believed to be Indigo, it's actually Navy.

Anyways, here are the colors as named by Sharpie:
Slate Grey
Navy
Sky Blue
Turquoise
Lime Green
Mint
Yellow
Peach
Orange
Pink Lemonade
Magenta, I believe
Berry
Boysenberry
Purple
Brown

Jellie Pink
Leg Warmer Orange
Valley Girl Violet
Banana Clip Yellow
Argyle Green

Black
Blue
Green
Red

81IcbXCXTHL._SL1300_.jpg

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood viewpost-right.png
Nice idea. Is there a dark blue sharpie that matches the blue model s? Also, since I haven't taken possession yet, does the care come with he tesla license plate holder, or did you buy them?

I have tried the oil based sharpie blue (bought at office depot - same as what's available from Amazon) and the blue is too light compared to the blue exterior color on my car. So I did it over with a black one.

I also tried to color in the S letter on the model S emblem on the left with a red color ( to match the red P on my P85 badge) but did not turn out that good. The red color is a little off.