Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear deck lid leak, got updated trim piece

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

I have not seen this mentioned before so thought I would post about it. On my 2013 S the rear chrome trim piece the ends were lifting up and I asked my service center to re-glue them. I also told them that when the car sits out in the rain and I open the rear hatch, water pours out from the narrow gap around the handholds inside the rear hatch.
Has anyone else experienced that issue?
It turns out the water was entering where the rear trim piece ends had lifted up. Instead of re-gluing that piece, the service center replaced it with one of the new style trim pieces with the prominently raised "TESLA" lettering. I was surprised when I picked up my car to find it had been "updated".
End of trim piece coming unglued:
8590e42ea7dd8ae7a7c188d14e238186.jpg

New trim:
b4eb0cb7571e788588a68ad39916da90.jpg

Last edited:
To my knowledge, Artsci was one of the firm to note it and he revised the rear appliqué to use the new form. It is nice. I notice Roger and RPM already have the larger TESLA decals available for the car. Looks great on mine and adds a little pop compared to chrome on chrome. I went with the red decals.

Last edited:
To my knowledge, Artsi was one of the firm to note it and he revised the rear appliqué to use the new form. It is nice.
Yes, he did post about when the trim style took place many months ago. I was asking if anyone else had the issue of the trim piece ends lifting up resulting in water leaking into the inside of the rear deck lid.
Tesla fixed the exact same issue on our CPO car before delivery. No problems since. Very happy with the service.
So you bought a CPO car and noted the rear trim ends were not flush, they were lifted up, and you had Tesla fix it before you took delivery. So you do not know if water was leaking into the rear deck lid or not.

Yes, he did post about when the trim style took place many months ago. I was asking if anyone else had the issue of the trim piece ends lifting up resulting in water leaking into the inside of the rear deck lid.

Ahh. I misunderstood. I thought you were simply telling us about the new appliqué and hadn't noticed anyone else mentioned it yet.

For leaking from there, I know I've read at least one post on this forum about it and likely more, but I don't recall it being recent enough for the new appliqué. On my car, Tesla was working on the trunk strut and noticed fogging in the lense and that led to my car getting the replacement. Thankfully, no water leaking from the lenses sticking up.

The leak does not come from the ends. Likely it's leaking through the holes/slots for the appliqué clips in the deck lid sheet metal. There are five slots and a number of other holes that can leak water if the applique is not properly seated. The 2nd generation applique can leak in these places as well if not properly mounted.

on my cpo car I had condensation after raining in the hatch lights
Tesla replaced the whole unit, the newer trim and lights...its all one unit.
it is a standard fix when the owner complains of condensation in the light.
since this is the new stock we get upgraded

I have to return mine to Tesla as the new one does not line up correctly, but after a rain , no leaking.
I did notice the rear view camera is water spotted. Outside,will mention that as well. Could be from before when it was leaking.

on my cpo car I had condensation after raining in the hatch lights
Tesla replaced the whole unit, the newer trim and lights...its all one unit.
it is a standard fix when the owner complains of condensation in the light.
since this is the new stock we get upgraded

I have to return mine to Tesla as the new one does not line up correctly, but after a rain , no leaking.
I did notice the rear view camera is water spotted. Outside,will mention that as well. Could be from before when it was leaking.

The solution to condensation on the lens was to get rid of the lens:) Can't collect moisture if it's not there.