Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear door won’t open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of interest, does anyone know whether or not the external door handle will open the rear doors if the electric catch fails?

If it does, then the issue isn't as serious from a safety perspective, as above, it's just like having mechanical child locks engaged.

Out of interest, does anyone know whether or not the external door handle will open the rear doors if the electric catch fails?

If it does, then the issue isn't as serious from a safety perspective, as above, it's just like having mechanical child locks engaged.
Page 24 of the emergency response guide suggests that...

"If the door handles do not function, open a front door manually by reaching inside the window and using the mechanical release handle."

So I suspect the rear doors might not open at all with no power to the car. I think this guide assumes that you've already isolated the battery by cutting the first responder loop:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/Model_3_Emergency_Response_Guide_en.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: Glan gluaisne
If you have kids in the back of any car you absolutely would enable a child lock to stop them falling out, in most vehicles this is mechanical, so it wouldn't operate the door in the case of a crash whether the (redundant) power was available or not.

It's a long time since I have used child locks, but if I remember correctly the door can still be opened from the outside can't it?

Parents teach their kids to climb into the front if they need to exit in an emergency.

Not so with toddlers strapped into a child seat.

Or if unconscious due to the impact of an accident.... or overcome with fumes.

This isn't a safety issue, which is why Tesla passes the stringent requirements for the EU.

Clearly the requirements aren't stringent enough. If a door cannot be opened from the outside in case of emergency it most definitely is a potential safety issue.

The fact is that Tesla have designed the car without measures to mitigate the issue thus compromising the safety of the rear occupants unnecessarily.

Where they *have* fitted a manual mechanical release to be used in such circumstances (model Y) it appears that it is buried deep within the structure of the car, is not readily inaccessible, and requires tools to be able to access it, then have to faff about trying to fish out the wire through a very small aperture.

This is supposed to be a 21st century car incorporating state of the art safety features.

Not good.

Reactions: Exy1
It's a long time since I have used child locks, but if I remember correctly the door can still be opened from the outside can't it?

I think you are confusing things here. The only difference between front and back is the interior emergency door release in the front.

Not so with toddlers strapped into a child seat.

Or if unconscious due to the impact of an accident.... or overcome with fumes.

The interior door handles aren't much use in any of these scenarios.

Reactions: preilly44
I think you are confusing things here. The only difference between front and back is the interior emergency door release in the front.

No, I'm not confused, I am relating to your mention if a mechanical child lock, that has a catch located in the door jamb. Prevents the door from being opened from the inside but not the outside.

The interior door handles aren't much use in any of these scenarios.

Correct, the interior door handles don't work....that is the purpose of the child lock! But the outside ones do work in these scenarios if the doors are unlocked by the central locking switch or in the event of a collision.

I had some involvement in car safety many years ago. At that time a crash sensor deactivated certain bits of electrical equipment.

Assuming the same sort of precautions are mandated these days, it would be my expectation that the rear doors either release on impact or a safety circuit is deployed to ensure they can be opened

It remains by no means ideal that a mechanical option isn’t immediately available.

I have emailed the question, as to how lack of a mechanical option is mitigated, to NCAP

Ok I have the same issue with my Model Y. Just started happening yesterday. Back driver side will not open. Window engages but door won’t release. I tried from inside and outside. Even with pressure. Did anyone find a resolution that fixed this issue?

Ok I have the same issue with my Model Y. Just started happening yesterday. Back driver side will not open. Window engages but door won’t release. I tried from inside and outside. Even with pressure. Did anyone find a resolution that fixed this issue?
I'd suggest asking in the USA section - Uk is not going to be much help for a car we don't even have

1703501996869.jpeg