Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear hatch sensor (?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone quick question. I just got delivery and I am coming from an X. I know you can adjust the opening height of the rear hatch for lower ceilings by pressing the button for 3 seconds at the desired height. Does anyone know if the Y has similar impact sensors while opening to prevent it from hitting things? Last night when I drove into my garage for the first time I opened to trunk and assumed it would stop but was about to hit my garage door, I manually stopped the hatch before it hit. I assume it doesn't have the same radar system as the X?

A disclaimer on page 18 of the manual seems to reference some sort of sensor:

Warning: Before opening or closing the powered liftgate, it is important to check that the area around the liftgate is free of obstacles (people and objects). Although the powered liftgate can detect obstacles, it cannot detect all objects at all times. Do not rely on the liftgate to sense an obstruction when opening or closing. You must proactively monitor the liftgate to ensure that it does not come into contact with a person or object. Failure to do so may result in damage or serious injury.

A disclaimer on page 18 of the manual seems to reference some sort of sensor:

If it’s like most power liftgates, if you put force on it while it’s moving, it’ll stop or go the other way. That means it’ll need to hit an object before it stops — it won’t prevent damage from hitting a low beam or your ceiling.