Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear-seat entertainment system absolutely necessary?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree entertainment is necessary but I also agree that iPads (and Kindle Fires) are becoming so common that those can be better options.

So maybe Tesla should provide a USB port and an iPad / Kinde Fire mount with each headrest - that would be cool!

We know they can't put USB ports in the doors :).

Looks like Mercedes is selling an iPad Docking Station for their R-class 7 seat crossover:
Mercedes-Benz USA - R350 4MATIC Crossover

Here is an article on it:
Innovative holder featuring Mercedes-Benz quality: Apple iPad always ready for use | Mercedes-Benz Passion eBlog

Last edited:

For a sec, I thought the lady there was looking at a picture of the Model X :smile:

400_798477_1466022_6048_4032_10C1068_06.jpg

Has anyone found a good mount for ipad on back of front seats or any other place to allow hands free viewing by small children. Apologies if this has been addressed in another thread but I could not find it or much on google. Thank you

Another option is a large, fold-down screen that stows in the roof. I don't know how that will work with the falcon doors though.

I've had two cars with those, and they seriously reduce my visibility to the rear. I hate them, they're a bit of a safety risk IMHO. Something in the back of the headrests if it's going to be built in is much better. However, my initial thought is that I'd prefer to have four Samsung Galaxy Tab 10 tablets with four independent wireless headsets, and then everyone can see a movie, play a game, or do whatever they prefer.

For the $1800 that Toyota charges for two headset TVs, I could buy 2 tablets every 2 years for over 8 years. Those tablets would improve as the tech improves, are more versatile than the quickly out-of-date DVD systems you see in cars, and allow for interaction with the user. I agree with those who think built-in car entertainment systems will slowly disappear from the market.

My 3 year old happily held an iPad in her lap on our last trip. Even if she ends up breaking one, I'd still save tons of money with tablets over built-in entertainment.

Now that's seriously funny :)

Good! I strive to be of entertainment value.

If you look at our house, other than a few embedded devices (thermostat, music controls) there are no screens at all, and none around for "entertainment". An option is fine, and if they come for everyone I'll gladly buy the car, promptly grab a screwdriver, and share with this fine forum how to get them removed or covered with some cheesy fabric.

I'm quite screen averse esp. in the formation of infant minds. And then I go use a google glass while biking. That's even more funny.

With Wifi in the car one could use their own mobile devices. All media could be severed by allowing plex to run as a server app giving everyone in the car access to content on their own devices. These can be phones or tablet and then if Tesla or a 3rd part could provide some tablet mounts, you would be all set. Plug in some storage device and off you go. Nothing much to upgrade if the technology changes and Plex convert video to lower resolutions on the fly. Really a fantastic piece of software.

For the $1800 that Toyota charges for two headset TVs, I could buy 2 tablets every 2 years for over 8 years. Those tablets would improve as the tech improves, are more versatile than the quickly out-of-date DVD systems you see in cars, and allow for interaction with the user. I agree with those who think built-in car entertainment systems will slowly disappear from the market.

This. Every member of the family already has a personal tablet in their preferred flavor of iOS or Android. Tablets improve very quickly, and each one carries his/her own games/media/whatever with them. I have no use for a rear-seat entertainment system that's hardwired into the car and stupidly expensive. I especially hate flip-down screens installed in the roof as they totally destroy visibility toward the rear. And since we have both iOS and Android users in the family, I most certainly do not want Tesla making deals with Apple (or anyone else) that limit my freedom to use my preferred tools and toys regardless of brand.

I would, however, ask for a high-power USB charging port (2 amps each) for each and every seat. On long trips, somebody's gonna run out of juice.

We just want the space, and the AWD. Entertainment system is totally unnecessary for us. We bought a 2005 Tahoe in 2004 off the dealers lot. It had a flip down video player. When we sold it in 2009 the buyer asked if the dvd player worked. I didn't know. It had never even been flipped down, or turned on, and it still had the plastic film covering on the screen.

This. Every member of the family already has a personal tablet in their preferred flavor of iOS or Android. Tablets improve very quickly, and each one carries his/her own games/media/whatever with them. I have no use for a rear-seat entertainment system that's hardwired into the car and stupidly expensive. I especially hate flip-down screens installed in the roof as they totally destroy visibility toward the rear. And since we have both iOS and Android users in the family, I most certainly do not want Tesla making deals with Apple (or anyone else) that limit my freedom to use my preferred tools and toys regardless of brand.

I would, however, ask for a high-power USB charging port (2 amps each) for each and every seat. On long trips, somebody's gonna run out of juice.

We paid about $2000 extra for the entertainment system in our Nissan Quest. We thought our kids we love it for sure. Instead, every road trip they used their Ipads instead of the built in system.

With Wifi in the car one could use their own mobile devices. All media could be severed by allowing plex to run as a server app giving everyone in the car access to content on their own devices. These can be phones or tablet and then if Tesla or a 3rd part could provide some tablet mounts, you would be all set. Plug in some storage device and off you go. Nothing much to upgrade if the technology changes and Plex convert video to lower resolutions on the fly. Really a fantastic piece of software.

Yes, Plex is great. Need the server piece, though. I wouldn't want to stream from my home machine, so need to drop something in the car. If you have ideas on what would be a good server for the content, let me know. Would prefer not drop in an old Mac Mini as it requires an inverter, etc.

I don't know if this has been mentioned but....

I don't think built in screens is the way to go because that technology will quickly become outdated.

But, more importantly I think Tesla will not do built in screens because they have mentioned several times that you will be able to lay the seats down flat (hence the durable/plastic-like seat backs in the X). Loading heavy stuff into your CUV and computer screens don't mix.

Yes, Plex is great. Need the server piece, though. I wouldn't want to stream from my home machine, so need to drop something in the car. If you have ideas on what would be a good server for the content, let me know. Would prefer not drop in an old Mac Mini as it requires an inverter, etc.

Yes, I meant the server version of plex media. There is plenty of hardware this could run on and Tesla could easily roll their own as well.