Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Seat Entrance Leather Wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand these are corners so they will get rubbed harder. But is that all that accounts for the enormous difference in wear between these pillars and the seats themselves? I mean will the seats themselves begin to look like this after another 6 months? Or are they using lower quality leather for these pieces?

I am about to spec/order and this might make me change my order from leather to cloth. Do any of you recommend cloth instead ?
I think you still get leather in some of those areas.

Someone with cloth seats, please give us some input. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

SKUFF sounds like a great product, but isn't really an answer for what is a design flaw for both the front and rear seat wear areas. I've written to GeorgeB who was already aware of this. We need to be certain to keep some pressure on the execs at TM because some of the service people have been told to advise owners that it isn't to be covered under warranty.
I have contacted Ownership Experience team on this issue as well. I'm awaiting for their response.

No issues for me with this yet (>2 months, 3500+ miles). But having said that, I AM aware of this so am careful not to scuff it up on entry/ exit.

For the record, I believe it is a design flaw and should be corrected under warranty. Not repaired (that's a bandaid) but a fix should be applied that stops the problem from happening.

I applied Skuff as well which gives my black leather a shine even though I used the matte version. It's somewhat noticeable on the front driver/passenger sides because it's more open. The rears are not as noticeable. I don't know how well it works yet though.

I looked this morning and it did leave it looking a bit darker and shinier, thought certainly not bad. Best solution is to put it on the whole leather piece so it doesn't stand out so much. Whether it works or not? Only time will tell...

I applied Skuff as well which gives my black leather a shine even though I used the matte version. It's somewhat noticeable on the front driver/passenger sides because it's more open. The rears are not as noticeable. I don't know how well it works yet though.

I looked this morning and it did leave it looking a bit darker and shinier, thought certainly not bad. Best solution is to put it on the whole leather piece so it doesn't stand out so much. Whether it works or not? Only time will tell...
It's almost 2 weeks. How is the SKUFF holding out ? Appearance, photos ?
I just bought some but only put it on my golf shoes for now.

For newer cars it's worth noting that the design (front and rear entries) has been changed and the "corner" that was there has been cut back and rounded (my description). I don't know when the change was made but noticed it on VIN ~4800 when I was at the service center; was confirmed to me by the manager that the design had been modified at some point.

I can offer up after pics (P05718) tomorrow when I get my car back (I'm sure somebody will beat me to it though).

I do have to say that I'm 6', and like to drive with the seat farther back, and I've not had any issues touching the entrance leather on either the front or the rear. So either I'm doing something wrong, or something has changed.