Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear seat headphones?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was able to pair headphones with my March 2022 MXP earlier this year and they showed connected but audio wasn't directed out of them, so I assume it would be good to go when enabled via software. I never found out as it was re-purchased by Tesla in August.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
There is a limit in the amount of bluetooth devices that can connect. This includes all phone as keys as well as the key FOB. I found I had issues connecting when I had too many devices connected -- but there was no error explaining this.

Try going into the bluetooth menu and disconnecting your phone and try again.

I wanted to add my findings here, I have 5 sets of Bluetooth headphones that I tested.

Vehicle: 2022 Model S LR

Headset:Outcome:
Google Pixel Buds A-SeriesConnected Successfully
Apple AirPod ProsFailed to appear on screen
Google Pixel Bud ProsConnected Successfully
Sony WH-1000XM5Connected Successfully
Sony WF-1000XM4Connected (Distorted audio, need to retest)

Last edited:
There seems to be no rhyme or reason about which 2021 car is connecting and which car is not, then. So odd.
So digging through the conformity stuff listed here https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/models/en_us/GUID-DAD2ACC3-FBA3-4474-AF11-EF052D4322FC.html

Under "CarPC" is YZP-ATC5CPC001 which appears to be an LG bluetooth module which I believe is integrated into the MCU on these cars.

But there's also a device listed as "BT USB hub", which appears to be the USB-C hub for the front External Photos External Photos -- I suspect this might be what's being used for the bluetooth headsets. Notably that FCC submission was not made until May 2021, so it's very possible that the early USB hub just didn't have bluetooth.

If that's the case, installing 1656787-00-B is probably what you need. Also notably, I could have sworn that the Model S catalog used to list 1755200-00-B as the USB hub (which is currently still listed as the data+power hub in the model 3/y catalog). I'm guessing that's a variant without bluetooth and what they used to install in the S.

Edit: So I tried unplugging that module on my 2023 S, and with it unplugged, my car no longer picks up my headphones. Plugging it back in, things work as expected.

Without having a 2021 car to play with, my bet is that module is the key

Last edited:
So digging through the conformity stuff listed here https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/models/en_us/GUID-DAD2ACC3-FBA3-4474-AF11-EF052D4322FC.html

Under "CarPC" is YZP-ATC5CPC001 which appears to be an LG bluetooth module which I believe is integrated into the MCU on these cars.

But there's also a device listed as "BT USB hub", which appears to be the USB-C hub for the front External Photos External Photos -- I suspect this might be what's being used for the bluetooth headsets. Notably that FCC submission was not made until May 2021, so it's very possible that the early USB hub just didn't have bluetooth.

If that's the case, installing 1656787-00-B is probably what you need. Also notably, I could have sworn that the Model S catalog used to list 1755200-00-B as the USB hub (which is currently still listed as the data+power hub in the model 3/y catalog). I'm guessing that's a variant without bluetooth and what they used to install in the S.

Edit: So I tried unplugging that module on my 2023 S, and with it unplugged, my car no longer picks up my headphones. Plugging it back in, things work as expected.

Without having a 2021 car to play with, my bet is that module is the key

This is great information, thank you. Where is this module in the car, and how do you get to it? I’d like to look at my USB hub to see if maybe it is the A revision that may not have Bluetooth.

Reactions: Evee
This is great information, thank you. Where is this module in the car, and how do you get to it? I’d like to look at my USB hub to see if maybe it is the A revision that may not have Bluetooth.
It’s the rear wall of the of the center console. Basically just have to pop off the trim, disconnect the wires, and then it’s easy enough to access. The release clips for the wire can be a little awkward to get to because the wires are short, but overall easy. Could easily swap out the module in under 20 minutes.

Attached the official epc procedure

As far as which module to look for… the 1656787-00-A and 1656787-00-B are probably okay, but if you end up having 1755200-00-B, that definitely doesn’t have Bluetooth. If there isn’t an fcc label, that also suggests against the Bluetooth hardware being present.

Also incidentally, since they removed data on the model 3/Y, those now have 1656787-30-B. The “30” part has no usb data or Bluetooth whatsoever. Something to keep in mind if you look for these modules used (I haven’t seen any of the 00-A or 00-B parts for sale online, but should be easy enough to get from Tesla)

It looks like the actual Bluetooth chip within the module is a Cypress cyw89072. Doesn’t seem like these are used in off the shelf Bluetooth modules from what I can find, so best bet is probably grabbing the module from Tesla

Attachments

• USB Hub - Center Console - Front (Remove and Replace).pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 104
Last edited:
It’s the rear wall of the of the center console. Basically just have to pop off the trim, disconnect the wires, and then it’s easy enough to access. The release clips for the wire can be a little awkward to get to because the wires are short, but overall easy. Could easily swap out the module in under 20 minutes.

As far as which module to look for… the 1656787-00-A and 1656787-00-B are probably okay, but if you end up having 1755200-00-B, that definitely doesn’t have Bluetooth. If there isn’t an fcc label, that also suggests against the Bluetooth hardware being present.

Also incidentally, since they removed data on the model 3/Y, those now have 1656787-30-B. The “30” part has no usb data or Bluetooth whatsoever. Something to keep in mind if you look for these modules used (I haven’t seen any of the 00-A or 00-B parts for sale online, but should be easy enough to get from Tesla)

It looks like the actual Bluetooth chip within the module is a Cypress cyw89072. Doesn’t seem like these are used in off the shelf Bluetooth modules from what I can find, so best bet is probably grabbing the module from Tesla
So I followed the epc for the sake of science since my car is a 8/2021 manufactured car that I upgraded the MCU. I never mentioned that my console was replaced (like 4 times) for the incorrect led functionality. So Im guessing the USB hub is part of the console? My BT headset connectivity works perfect.
In any case, here's my part numbers:
IMG_3195.jpeg

So I followed the epc for the sake of science since my car is a 8/2021 manufactured car that I upgraded the MCU. I never mentioned that my console was replaced (like 4 times) for the incorrect led functionality. So Im guessing the USB hub is part of the console? My BT headset connectivity works perfect.
View attachment 1004219
Yeah you have the correct module. Looks like it’s the A revision based on the part number at the bottom there

Your module was manufactured in April 2022, so I guess it was probably replaced with your console replacements. Might just be included with the console, not sure. But you can buy it separately too

Reactions: dtrounce and Evee
View attachment 1004219
Lol I was just about to ask you if you had your console replaced. I never did and mine is the original since the lights worked correctly since day 1

This is incredibly helpful info, thank you. I took a look and indeed I have the 1755200-00-B (non Bluetooth) that came with the car.

I have made a service appointment with Tesla to see about getting this replaced with one that supports Bluetooth. Not sure if/how much they will charge me; i don’t recall if this was a promised feature when I purchased.

IMG_5330.jpeg

Reactions: Evee
Nice. I’m 99% sure the module is the difference between the cars with working headphones and not then.

You might as well just ask them what they’d charge for the 1656787-00-B part. If you can take things apart enough to see the part number, you might as well save on the labor cost and just swap it yourself.

You could probably sell the old module to a model 3/y owner who wants to retrofit USB data

Nice. I’m 99% sure the module is the difference between the cars with working headphones and not then.

You might as well just ask them what they’d charge for the 1656787-00-B part. If you can take things apart enough to see the part number, you might as well save on the labor cost and just swap it yourself.

You could probably sell the old module to a model 3/y owner who wants to retrofit USB data

Success! I got the 1656787-00-B part from Tesla, and installed it myself in about 10m following the service guide terranx posted above. I now have working Bluetooth for the rear screen, for entertainment and gaming. This module replacement is all that is required; I still have the original smaller rear screen and 8GB RAM computer.

It just requires:
* Using a pry tool or knife to pull out the rear wall of the center console (where the USB-C ports and 12V socket are) from the 4 retaining clips at each corner
* Detaching the two cables to the module (looks like 4-pin power and a mini-USB for data). These cables are short so it’s a little tricky. You don’t need to detach the 12V power cable if you then maneuver the wall onto the floor of the center console
* Unscrewing the three screws that attach the module to the wall- Torx 20
* Switching the module for the new part, screwing it back it, reconnecting the 2 cables, and pushing the wall back into the retaining clips to secure.

I still have power and data for both center console and rear screen USB-C ports, verified with a USB-C hub for a micro SD of music in the console, and a wired gaming controller in the back.

Tesla would not do the install themselves, they said that cars built before 12/1/21 did not come with rear Bluetooth, and there is no service bulletin yet to allow them to do it. They also would not comp me the part, but they did allow me to buy it over the counter - it was $120 plus tax. I see there is one currently on eBay for $100 but I decided not to wait.

I will sell the old 1755200-00-B on eBay as terranx suggested, likely to someone who wants to add USB-C data to a new Model 3 or Y which only comes with USB-C power, not data.

Many thanks to all, and particularly to terranx for all the information and guidance, and to muzzman1 for confirming that this was working in their early 2021 refresh with the center console replacement.

Attachments

• IMG_5391.jpeg
    IMG_5391.jpeg
    598.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5392.jpeg
    IMG_5392.jpeg
    439.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5390.jpeg
    IMG_5390.jpeg
    482.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5393.jpeg
    IMG_5393.jpeg