Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear-view camera with V9 firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems that one will no longer be able to have the camera display in the top half of the screen; there has been some mention of this on UK FB groups and there is a thread on the subject here on TMC.

It seems also to be the case that the nav is permanently on the top part of the screen (at least) and that you cannot put anything else there; every other app must use the lower part (the screen is not necessarily 50/50 any more, I understand).

A third thing is pertinent to RHD countries: the list of settings (as it appears for LHD countries, which is all we have seen) is on the left; just as is the list of directions in the nav.

Here's my vent about all this:

This is to add my complaint about not being able to have the camera view always in the top half of the screen. Like many other S & X owners, we always do that, given the limited view through the centre mirror and the fact that the fat back-end restricts the view out of the side mirrors.

I also cannot see the point of having the nav permanently open; I don't need it when driving locally, which is most of the time - and I would have thought that applied to most people. It's just a waste of screen-space.

My strongest gripe, however, is that I don't like being dictated to as to what I can have on the screen; if I want e.g. the browser and the calendar, why should I not have them? Even Windows doesn't force me to have something I don't want and in a position I don't like.

And while I'm venting: I hope that Tesla invert the display for RHD cars so that the list of settings is on the right; the stretch to the left is too long, especially for smaller people and especially when you are driving. That applies, in fact, to the nav display now; they ought to move that too. Or make both configurable.

As far as European customers are concerned (and this applies to Brits for now), if you feel the same, please write to [email protected].

Reactions: rw99 and KerryOH
Totally agree; the ability to configure the screen to personal preference is (was?) a compelling factor.
The screen is a unique feature to Tesla, but by taking control of some of the real estate I feel they have diminished the impact somewhat.

My strongest gripe, however, is that I don't like being dictated to as to what I can have on the screen;

I'd phrase it differently, but basically what you are saying:

It won't be the car that I bought.

I hated the last screen-refresh (I really struggle with all the "flat" presentation styles that are current vogue), and I am expecting to hate this one too. When I have the map open I always have it in the bottom half of the screen, it suits my, ageing, eyes better.

When I went for a test drive, must be 3 years ago now, I was expecting to dislike the "no buttons" approach, but actually I was uber-impressed with the screen layout, and ergonomics. Much of that went, for me, with the "flat look" refresh, and yet more change-for-change sake is unnecessary and almost certain to annoy me. More especially if it comes with Tesla's legendary almost complete lack of QA and revision comparison testing.

I also see it, for example, with Forum refreshes. Immediately 50% of the population say "Wow! Love it", as a software engineer I know they can't have actually had time to try anything ... and then the other 50% start pointing out all the things that are now more cumbersome, less intuitive, or have become impossible. I really ought to then ask the first 50% how they are faring with those problems ...

...open-minded at this point.

There are no questions that human is very adaptable. People can drive in a car without air conditioning in above 100F or 38C weather too. They sweat but they can.

Back to this V9, there's no question that there are very good features.

However, why must it be a mouse trap that if I want the cheese I must be punished with the fact of losing the customization of top-half/bottom-half windows?

It's a form of blackmail which is entirely not necessary in the first place (We paid the ransom money in advance already, now can we have our cheese back please?)

I must be punished with the fact of losing the customization

Agreed. A simple "Choose one of these X styles" would be fine. Some additional software testing, but not huge (well, it wouldn't be for a company with half-decent automated software regression-testing ... which it would seem, from my experience, they don't have ...)

Remember when Graphics Equalised went from 3-sliders to 5-sliders? Nice improvement ... except that it wouldn't remember any settings so you had to reset it every time you used park.

Telsa Infotainment is littered with those sorts of poor quality QA. PQA in fact ... whereas PPPPPPQA would be much better :)

Reactions: Terry_B58
I currently run with the nav on top with an eye out for traffic, and media player on the bottom split screen. I'm certainly no Tesla fanboy and indeed hate "updates" like the grey maps, but in this case V9 does do exactly what I want. i.e., more nav real estate leading to hopefully a further view forward for traffic at a prescribed zoom level - while allowing for a smaller media player.

There are no questions that human is very adaptable. People can drive in a car without air conditioning in above 100F or 38C weather too. They sweat but they can.

Back to this V9, there's no question that there are very good features.

However, why must it be a mouse trap that if I want the cheese I must be punished with the fact of losing the customization of top-half/bottom-half windows?

It's a form of blackmail which is entirely not necessary in the first place (We paid the ransom money in advance already, now can we have our cheese back please?)

I'm just saying that I haven't tried V9 yet. Just maybe I won't actually mind having the rear view display lower down - might even be less distracting than the upper position which can be a little too much at times. Maybe I will hate the new UI for all the reasons put forward or more likely it will be swings and roundabouts. But I'm not going to "vent" on something I haven't yet experienced. Has anyone in the UK even got this update yet? I know it's imminent and already rolling out in the US.

It seems that one will no longer be able to have the camera display in the top half of the screen; there has been some mention of this on UK FB groups and there is a thread on the subject here on TMC.

It seems also to be the case that the nav is permanently on the top part of the screen (at least) and that you cannot put anything else there; every other app must use the lower part (the screen is not necessarily 50/50 any more, I understand).

A third thing is pertinent to RHD countries: the list of settings (as it appears for LHD countries, which is all we have seen) is on the left; just as is the list of directions in the nav.

Here's my vent about all this:

This is to add my complaint about not being able to have the camera view always in the top half of the screen. Like many other S & X owners, we always do that, given the limited view through the centre mirror and the fact that the fat back-end restricts the view out of the side mirrors.

I also cannot see the point of having the nav permanently open; I don't need it when driving locally, which is most of the time - and I would have thought that applied to most people. It's just a waste of screen-space.

My strongest gripe, however, is that I don't like being dictated to as to what I can have on the screen; if I want e.g. the browser and the calendar, why should I not have them? Even Windows doesn't force me to have something I don't want and in a position I don't like.

And while I'm venting: I hope that Tesla invert the display for RHD cars so that the list of settings is on the right; the stretch to the left is too long, especially for smaller people and especially when you are driving. That applies, in fact, to the nav display now; they ought to move that too. Or make both configurable.

As far as European customers are concerned (and this applies to Brits for now), if you feel the same, please write to [email protected].
Well, in Australia we don't get the browser at all.
So, maybe we all just get what we get and be happy with it?

Another way to look at it:
If we want Tesla to keep improving the software we have the risk that the new software will be missing things we liked from the old software.
So, have we achieved perfection, and the current software must remain preserved in amber for the next 65 million years? Or do we accept that in the pursuit of improvements we must learn to live without some things we previously valued?

Reactions: Peteski
Major UI changes are always tricky. I’ve redesigned a number of websites some with some massive followings who just hates the new luck.

New site was responsive and a million times better but always had a cohort who didn’t like it. I also find design Uber subjective which makes it impossible to do something that everyone likes.

I don’t feel that we should lose features but OTA updates for life you have to accept that change is gonna happen some good and maybe some bad but it’s gonna happen.

I actually like the larger buttons of 8.1 and the iOS style of the M3 with small slider buttons annoy me but it’s where the masses are at and makes adoption easy and familiar with almost everyone as most people have a droid or iOS device.

For my though it’s not so much the loss of little things but the lack of new features/change, don’t get me wrong I appreciate how hard it must be to build out new stuff but for a major version release what do we really have in the UK?

Games and a Dashcam which is welcome but it could and should have more considering how long it’s been since v8, drive on nav is impressive but will we see it anytime soon?

The problem with this is that often it is "change for change sake", driven by marketing.

We got out of eCommerce when projects moved from IT to Marketing (2005-ish I would guess), and Marketing had no understanding / effort on usability and a solid user-experience, it all went to "pixel perfect" presentation, and all the other important DEV/QA stuff was chucked out ... until they started to get complaints from users about usability, and then it was all emergency fixes on a live system, instead of doing that in DEV-phase where it should have been done, and the consequence was that we couldn't plan our DEV because of all the interruptions for emergency fixes on live sites ... No Thanks.

The problem with this is that often it is "change for change sake", driven by marketing.

But in this case I thought the main driver was consistency with the Model 3 UI? I do very much like the current UI, but it's not perfect either so I'm glad they are moving on providing the new one is better overall (which remains to be seen). I'd hate to see stagnation too.

providing the new one is better overall (which remains to be seen)

Yup, I'd be happy with that too. I don't think the last one was an improvement - map expanded to cover buttons, on an already huge real-estate screen, now I have to take eyes off road to click the map first, to get the buttons to appear, and then press the button ...

I still struggle to know if a button is selected, or not ("flat" versus simple ON/OFF colour that we had before)

But if the new one works well and doesn't remove a bunch of useful abilities, or replaces them with something equivalent/better, I too will be happy.

I don't think the last one was an improvement - map expanded to cover buttons, on an already huge real-estate screen, now I have to take eyes off road to click the map first, to get the buttons to appear, and then press the button ...

This just shows how subjective these things are. I actually prefer the hidden buttons as I don't often need to use them while driving and it looks neater with a larger map when using split screen etc. So one extra click to bring the buttons up is no big deal to me.

But hey, let's wait and see how V9 performs in the real world. It's almost inevitable that there will be pros and cons as there usually is with any major UI revamp. The mere fact that they can change it up is pretty cool!

Possible the most subjective thing is design, I’m excited to try it but also I hate change but it may be the best thing ever...

Right now I just want a drivers seat that doesn’t rock backwards and forwards when I drive, I’ve got a feeling a bolt is gonna snap and I’m gonna be thrown into the boot or worse into the dash :p

May start a fundraising page “get fellsteruk a new drivers seat” coz it sure as hell seems to be baffling Tesla.

Sorry I went off topic </rant>

• Funny
Reactions: WannabeOwner
Possible the most subjective thing is design, I’m excited to try it but also I hate change but it may be the best thing ever...

Right now I just want a drivers seat that doesn’t rock backwards and forwards when I drive, I’ve got a feeling a bolt is gonna snap and I’m gonna be thrown into the boot or worse into the dash :p

May start a fundraising page “get fellsteruk a new drivers seat” coz it sure as hell seems to be baffling Tesla.

Sorry I went off topic </rant>

The seat rocking thing is definitely something other owners have experienced and waited quite some time for a replacement seat - I'm surprised it requires a whole new seat to fix, but appears to be the case.