Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Wheel model acceleration comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I am wondering if someone here could give me a general comparison between the rear wheel drive version's acceleration and another type of ice? I currently have '18 XT Forester Turbo I assume the M3 has more punch than that?

Cheers

Hi all,

I am wondering if someone here could give me a general comparison between the rear wheel drive version's acceleration and another type of ice? I currently have '18 XT Forester Turbo I assume the M3 has more punch than that?

Cheers
Even the RWD is pretty spritely with its acceleration.
You have to remember that 6.1 is still faster than something like a Golf GTI or similar.
The real difference is how the electric motor deliver the performance though. It’s like a relentless pull from standstill. An electric car feels about 1 second faster than the times they actually do.

Even the RWD is pretty spritely with its acceleration.
You have to remember that 6.1 is still faster than something like a Golf GTI or similar.
The real difference is how the electric motor deliver the performance though. It’s like a relentless pull from standstill. An electric car feels about 1 second faster than the times they actually do.
Indeed. I am on the fence as to whether to change my order from the RW to the LR the difference is about 10k for me but the wait time pushes out from 8 weeks to 20 weeks.... I like some punch in my car hence the query ....

I'd get the LR, $10k isn't much. The bigger battery, better range, better audio and if you're coming from a Subaru then you're use to AWD. The SR with the new LFP battery isn't all that quick. The initial acceleration from standstill being electric is nice but then if you're use to anything Euro or slightly modified (not sure if your Subaru is) then it's good not great.

Regardless of how quick the car is you get used to it and you're always going to want something quicker. At least with the LR you can then also scratch that itch and get the Acceleration Boost in the future as well.

I'd get the LR, $10k isn't much. The bigger battery, better range, better audio and if you're coming from a Subaru then you're use to AWD. The SR with the new LFP battery isn't all that quick. The initial acceleration from standstill being electric is nice but then if you're use to anything Euro or slightly modified (not sure if your Subaru is) then it's good not great.

Regardless of how quick the car is you get used to it and you're always going to want something quicker. At least with the LR you can then also scratch that itch and get the Acceleration Boost in the future as well.
That is where I am leaning ... the Turbo is pretty quick off the mark I don't think I would notice the difference between the two as much as the LR ... I do like the new type of battery the SR has compared to the LR ... I also like the fact I would have it in 8 weeks as opposed to 20 ....

As most of us who got their cars years ago know, 20 weeks isn't that long to wait. About the SR, just remember it also has a lower Tesla Supercharger Max Rate than the LR, depending on where you're driving near a V3 charger.

As most of us who got their cars years ago know, 20 weeks isn't that long to wait. About the SR, just remember it also has a lower Tesla Supercharger Max Rate than the LR, depending on where you're driving near a V3 charger.
Indeed, it's interesting just what they can lock behind their walls. I wonder if the acceleration boost that you can get with the LR would work on the RW? I expect we will never find out.
I guess I will just wait the extra months and go from Red to White for the LR

...if you're coming from a Subaru then you're use to AWD.
Very different AWD system, though. In reality the LR AWD is in use less than 1% of the time, whereas the Subaru is full time AWD. For the most part the LR is RWD and the front driveline only comes to life when more power than the rear engine can provide is requested or ESP requests it. LR is pretty Sh1t on dirt roads compared to a Subaru. But you are quite correct AWD is still handy to have and I am very glad to have the LR.

Indeed. I am on the fence as to whether to change my order from the RW to the LR the difference is about 10k for me but the wait time pushes out from 8 weeks to 20 weeks.... I like some punch in my car hence the query ....
I played this one out in my head plenty of times even after I'd ordered my SR+. How do you arrive at a $10k difference? I'm in NSW and when you factor in the Government incentives the difference between the rwd and LR for me was a lot more.

Regarding the acceleration, ArideLest summed it pretty well. Even just the RWD it will be a big step up from the XT.

I definitely don’t regret going for the LR. Sometimes I think that maybe I should have gone for the Performance, but I’m basically happy with my choice.

I sold my BMW M5 after getting the LR. The M5 was a quick car so was used to big horsepower. The difference with the LR is that it can get the power down all the time. My M5 had 600bhp but was rear wheel drive so there were many situations that the power couldn‘t get to the ground. I also recently went the acceleration boost and personally happy with that as well.

The AWD on the LR is something I’m really happy with and glad that I didn’t stick with my original SR+ order. Have taken the LR up to the snow a couple of times and it was handy. I also had a recent loan SR+ for a couple of weeks when I had the LR serviced and it was a great comparison after living with the LR for a few months. Definitely missed the acceleration and also they drive differently. The LR just doesn‘t loose traction and is very neutral. The SR+ can be a bit loose in the rear (esp when wet) if you push it but not in a fun oversteer/drift way like the M5. I prefer the way the LR handles - it’s subtle but there is a difference. At least for me and how I drive.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
I spent more on the optional extras with the RW package. I added the LR wheels and the Red paint. The corporate package through work brought it to about 67400.
The LR in White (can't justify the extra for the red) and the wheels I picked for the RW are standard with LR and comes in around 77k hence the 10k difference. Oh along with the longer wait for the LR I also lose the corporate deal as it's expired and they won't carry it over if I change ..

Reactions: Maximillan
If it is anything like me the price difference was about $11k.
I went the Red exterior with the white Interior on both models.
On the SR+ I would’ve also added the 19” wheels.

In the end I went with the LR for the full premium interior as well as the extra power.
All those reasons plus the LR itself tbh. I have pulled trigger yet. Taking my wife for a test drive mid Jan in the LR. I will probably change it then so I won't get it till June I expect....

What is it's 0-100 time? 7.7sec?

It's relatively fast. It has the same turbo that is in the WRX it's just not tweaked as much..... I expect the SR with more torque straight off the line would be nice but I think the difference between that and the XT would not be massive for me anyway.

I went from a European turbo to a 3LR. There is NO turbo lag on the Tesla. Just no comparison at all. It starts accelerating outrageously from zero which no ICE does unless it is a manual and you drop the clutch at significant revs. So, as others have said, there is no comparison. The only vehicle I can compare with is a stunt aerobatic aeroplane which does similar things to my stomach, the skin on my face and the seat pressing into my back.

I recently took the LR on some bad dirt roads with which I was very familiar from other cars. It handled really well. The only thing to beware of is ground clearance. You do not want to drop a wheel into a giant pothole. Not that this happened to me. A couple of my kids have AWD Suburus and I would say the handling is equivalent. However, they have more ground clearance than the Tesla.

I have not driven a SR+ so I cannot comment on the differences. However, if you are coming from an ICE and like a quick getaway, the LR should satisfy you. Maybe the SR+ would too.

LR definitely if it's only $10-11k more - of Model 3's I have only driven the SR+, but I'm comparing it to my S90D which would be pretty similar to the LR (LR may be a little quicker even). You will get better range, higher charging power and it will hold its value too. Shame you can't get the P- any more.

Ground clearance - any 3 is better than my S which has awfully low GC. I have to be very careful sometimes.

As to comparing to ICE, they all look pretty good - every time I drive any ICE I feel like I've stepped back in time.