Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Window Visibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do wish Tesla had blind spot monitoring and warning.. my CRV was better at that then Tesla.. feel like its such a simple thing to do.. hopefully they add support of a better implementation.

Tesla does have blind spot monitoring in the form of the visualization of other vehicles on the screen. They turn red when they are in your blind spot/in your way in general. There also is an audible warning that will go off if you start to merge into another vehicle. I agree though, it is easier to see when it is a light in the mirror which you are already looking at. Though I've found that I ignore that light on the cars which I have had that have it because it is always too slow. The light will still be on when I have plenty of clearance to move over. I just set my mirrors way out to the sides like you are supposed to and rely on that visual.

Tesla does have blind spot monitoring in the form of the visualization of other vehicles on the screen. They turn red when they are in your blind spot/in your way in general. There also is an audible warning that will go off if you start to merge into another vehicle. I agree though, it is easier to see when it is a light in the mirror which you are already looking at. Though I've found that I ignore that light on the cars which I have had that have it because it is always too slow. The light will still be on when I have plenty of clearance to move over. I just set my mirrors way out to the sides like you are supposed to and rely on that visual.

Maybe its just me but it doesn't seem to work nearly as much as I would expect, I was just doing some tests with it, turning on my blinker as if I was going to merge over with a car in my blind spot.. nothing, not to beep... Maybe the newest firmware version that brought us in line with the rest of the fleet fixes somethings.. ill have to try it again.

Reactions: LasVegas2019
Maybe its just me but it doesn't seem to work nearly as much as I would expect, I was just doing some tests with it, turning on my blinker as if I was going to merge over with a car in my blind spot.. nothing, not to beep... Maybe the newest firmware version that brought us in line with the rest of the fleet fixes somethings.. ill have to try it again.

Had you recently passed that vehicle or was it coming up on you? I've seen a couple manufacturers seem to disregard a vehicle that you passed and is now in your blind spot. I'm assuming it disregards because you know the vehicle was there because you just passed it.

Had you recently passed that vehicle or was it coming up on you? I've seen a couple manufacturers seem to disregard a vehicle that you passed and is now in your blind spot. I'm assuming it disregards because you know the vehicle was there because you just passed it.

I had a 2017 CRV, it would always beep if I put on the blinker and their was a car there, regardless if I just passed it. I like that method honestly, I think it should beep as soon as you turn on the blinker as people tend to merge as soon or very shortly after as they put the blinker on. Just extra warning time imo.

Have to strongly agree the rear visibility of the Y is even worse than my 3 which I thought was kinda eh. Definitely the worst blind spot monitoring of any car I’ve had in the last 8 years.

Don’t get me wrong I do love my 3 but would be amazing if it had simple lights on the mirrors as I have also found the BMS really is hit or miss. I would much rather have a those lights show me there is a vehicle in my BS and then an audible warning when I put my blinker on like majority of newer cars out there now. Odd we are driving the future but they couldn’t include that.

Mine does not work very well. When I turn on the signal with someone in the blind spot nothing happens. Only get audio warning when I have already started to merge.

Agree. Not as robust warning as my Expediton

I honestly think its so small because of the huge bar above the rear seat headrests, it blocks a lot of view, but honestly that's just all sky really that you would see.. The more I think about it I think the back view is acceptable.. not great, but not bad.

Reactions: LasVegas2019