Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear windshield - to tint or not to tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've done quite a bit of research on rear windshield tinting and am struggling on whether I should go for it. I live in Michigan and so will be using the defroster quite a bit during our long winter months. That said, there're plenty of threads with horror stories of the defroster lines falling off, burning into the tint, and cracking the glass. Interestingly, the majority of these threads were from 2018-2020 and so I wonder if Tesla made any changes to the defroster lines on the newer models.

I should be getting my M3LR in the next 1-2 weeks and plan tint the sides (30%) for sure, but am still debating whether I should also tint the rear windshield. What do you think I should do?

All my windows are tinted and I also have a full UV blocker on my windshield that gives it a blueish tint at certain angles. Some shops will not do the rear windows due to peeling concerns when exposed to high temperatures. However, I did find a reputable shop that put high quality ceramic tint coating on all windows. So don't cheap out on quality no matter how confident the tech feels the cheaper film will hold up, especially for the rear shield. If you get a quote for less than $1k, you need to double check what they are selling you. The front windshield stuff will push your quote closer to $2k.

The last time I went into a Tesla service center, a couple Tesla owners complimented the tint on my car. They were hesitant on the potential end results until they got to see it in person. There is a huge difference when you see a Tesla with all around tinted windows, lined up against a fleet of Teslas with no tint.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pseudofinn
All my windows are tinted and I also have a full UV blocker on my windshield that gives it a blueish tint at certain angles. Some shops will not do the rear windows due to peeling concerns when exposed to high temperatures. However, I did find a reputable shop that put high quality ceramic tint coating on all windows. So don't cheap out on quality no matter how confident the tech feels the cheaper film will hold up, especially for the rear shield. If you get a quote for less than $1k, you need to double check what they are selling you. The front windshield stuff will push your quote closer to $2k.

The last time I went into a Tesla service center, a couple Tesla owners complimented the tint on my car. They were hesitant on the potential end results until they got to see it in person. There is a huge difference when you see a Tesla with all around tinted windows, lined up against a fleet of Teslas with no tint.
Thanks for your input EVJAutoJunkie. Where did you get your tint done?

I went with 70% front windshield w/ xPEL exterior windshield, 20% all around, 20% roof glass. EVJAutoJunkie is correct, paid about $1750 after a 5% referral discount.
JUST MAKE SURE the tint shop you choose can get the roof glass done in one piece of tint

Reduced cabin heat considerably.

To back on @canasion35 comment:
"$1K plus for ceramic tint on all 4 windows, rear glass, and 80% on the windshield and roof is insane....i was quoted $400 for everything in FL?"
I double checked my invoice it was about $1250, after -5% referral discount + taxes.

i especially hated before i got any tint that it felt like i was driving around in a fish bowl

Reactions: canasion35
I did front, all sides, and rear in one piece here Northern Cali for $1200, 3M crystalline.

Love to see a pic of the tinted front...I can't even IMAGINE doing that to a car. I am sure many say "its for the heat but we all know people do it to look " "stealth/cool" - I guess I am more function over fashion...I'd like to see where I'm driving! LOL

Love to see a pic of the tinted front...I can't even IMAGINE doing that to a car. I am sure many say "its for the heat but we all know people do it to look " "stealth/cool" - I guess I am more function over fashion...I'd like to see where I'm driving! LOL
Most people (myself included) get something in the neighborhood or 90-95%. In my car, it has zero impact on visibility day or night: I could tell a VERY minor difference but was accustomed to it by the time I got home (about a one mile drive). The reason to do it is for the heat rejection: for that it makes a HUGE difference.

And prior to this, I was firmly in the "never tint the windshield" camp. With this car and it's massive windshield, it is particularly needed in warm locales.

Annoying pedantic note: it is not a "rear windshield". The windshield is in the FRONT; the back is just a window.

FYI- the roof glass is very dark out of the factory now, dark to the extent of being nearly pitch black at night. I have 35 all around except the front, the roof looks like 5%. There is a gradient from the roof to the rear glass. My shop applied 35 to the back just where is visible in the rearview mirror- the area that overlaps the roof tint gradient is basically opaque.