Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recall delay - Any updates on 3rd row replacement parts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My X was meant to be delivered exactly two weeks ago, but then the recall happened (the car was built before the 26th). Since then, we're waiting for parts so the 3rd row seats can be fixed.

1) Has anyone heard anything about how the parts situation looks? It's from a 3rd party vendor, so I wouldn't be surprised about shortages. Somebody on this forum mentioned that it could take up to 5 weeks. Has anyone had their car fixed yet? (Either while still in production, or after bringing it in for the recall)

2) Think it's possible to have the car delivered (with a liability waiver if need be) and then bring it in to a SC when the replacement parts are there? I don't like the idea of waiting another 3 weeks for a recall that won't affect me as long as I don't use the 3rd row seat.

Reactions: umeshunni
This isn't an update on the parts supply but another issue with the seats. Mine have become stuck in the down position, but I don't need them fixed until the recall repair I'd done. I remember a Sig that I saw at an Orange County meet and greet had a similar issue.

This isn't an update on the parts supply but another issue with the seats. Mine have become stuck ithe down position, but I don't need them fixed until the recall repair I'd done. I remember a Sig that I saw at an Orange County meet and greet had a similar issue.

The one car that was reported before to have this problem turned out to be an object (cardboard box?) that was left on the seat when it folded. That seemed to have caused it to stick.

That was @sukhi ..Model X 90D you are referring to..

Thanks @SMSMD

@Ampster and @aesculus, Thanks and yes I had that issue. It seems the cardboard box broke the actuator in the seat. We definitely forgot that little black box on the seat but I was never fully sold on the theory that it was the root cause. We felt no resistance when folding down the seat. It went down smoothly and fully. Perhaps the suitcase on top caused the failure. Tough to say but I wood expect the mechanism to be a bit more resilient as the kids can often leave toys etc. in these seats and it is tough to see those when folding the seats down from back.

SC folks were able to bring the seat back up but the headrest is still stuck the folded down position and the fold down button is still unresponsive.

Anyways the seat recall made the whole issue a mute point as the seats will be replaced. Have not heard back on that yet though. Our car will be at SC for auto pilot activation and a few other issues so hopefully seats will also be taken care of.

PS: There is where I would say that in my opinion Tesla added unnecessary tech for the sake of it. I really do not think that folding down the seats was a huge problem that needed solving by putting in the motorized parts.

2) Think it's possible to have the car delivered (with a liability waiver if need be) and then bring it in to a SC when the replacement parts are there? I don't like the idea of waiting another 3 weeks for a recall that won't affect me as long as I don't use the 3rd row seat.

I doubt that any manufacturer would be willing the take on the liability (even with a waiver) of delivering a car with a known and mandatory safety recall. Being part of another regulated industry, I would say that in case of any litigation, these waivers do not really release the manufacturer from their liabilities.

Reactions: EboMike
PS: There is where I would say that in my opinion Tesla added unnecessary tech for the sake of it. I really do not think that folding down the seats was a huge problem that needed solving by putting in the motorized parts.
I agree. It's like they are half in. Either give us a fully motorized seat that I can control from the dash for up/down, or just leave it manual all the way. I guess I was still holding out hope that they were fully motorized for up/down but they just had not finished the sw yet.:(

Reactions: sukhi
I agree. It's like they are half in. Either give us a fully motorized seat that I can control from the dash for up/down, or just leave it manual all the way. I guess I was still holding out hope that they were fully motorized for up/down
but they just had not finished the sw yet.:(

Fully automated folding and unfolding would be neat. Hopefully they would it right though otherwise do we really want to have this conversation after auto folding- "Honey, where is your mom, she was right there in last row a minute ago" :)

My X has been ready for delivery since late March. There were delays due to some internal Tesla stuff and then the seat recall happened. Parts came in last Thursday, but was told the supplier sent the wrong parts. No ETA.