Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Received AutoPilot trial this morning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received the 32.2 update yesterday evening, and this morning I went out to the car to find the 14-day AutoPilot trial had been pushed to me. There was a notification screen, which allowed me to enable or choose if I did not wish it at this time. Anyone else get it yet?

This is great timing for me, as I will be going on a short trip next weekend. I wish I had purchased EAP/FSD at delivery, but due to a timeline of events, I felt more comfortable just dealing with the car at the time. This may be what gets me to push the button sooner...

Me too. Now I might be tempted to buy it. I had wondered if it was just a software switch. It is definitely weird, but I could see myself using it if I was really tired or maybe had a couple drinks (but was still technically legal to drive).

Interesting that Tesla would offer this trial now, when they have some pretty nice improvements coming shortly.

Can't imaging having a Tesla without autopilot. Think it is just an intregal part of it's DNA.

Isn't that Tesla's modus operandi? Didn't they do the last trial right before ver. 8 was released?

My assumption is that EAP is as polished for ver. 8 as it will be. Once they introduce ver. 9 features, the new features will have initial bugs until they get worked out.

I got the trial this week. Used summon and some AP features. Definitely cool but I can't go for $6K anytime soon. Does anyone know if they will offer a discount? I doubt it but it would enable me to justify some $$$
I thought it was 5k?

As far as discounts, that will depend on how many people are buying 3s with that feature. Obviously the tech is already in our cars so the marginal cost of turning it on is very low (maybe additional data streaming?). The catch is that if they give it to us cheaper then they can't charge new buyers 5k for it.

I received the 32.2 update yesterday evening, and this morning I went out to the car to find the 14-day AutoPilot trial had been pushed to me.

This is great timing for me, as I will be going on a short trip next weekend. I wish I had purchased EAP/FSD at delivery, but due to a timeline of events, I felt more comfortable just dealing with the car at the time. This may be what gets me to push the button sooner...

@theblindtree ,
Congrats!
I really LOVE the enhanced autopilot!
This trial will definitely push you over the edge!

Yup, just turned mine on. I tried out SUMMON from the garage and EAP was nice for my commute.

It's cool, but still...too weird for me.

@Scrutmonkey ,
There's definitely a learning curve to EAP.
Scared myself silly for the first week....transport trucks seems too close!

Interesting that Tesla would offer this trial now, when they have some pretty nice improvements coming shortly.

Can't imaging having a Tesla without autopilot. Think it is just an intregal part of it's DNA.

@Uncle Paul,
Thumbs up!
It's a great driving experience which takes the stress out of highway driving.

They probably are hoping for a bump of after thought purchases. I expect that will happen. I'm considering it myself.

@Nocturnal ,
Tesla is running a biz and what's better than a FREE trial.
Betcha 20% will sign up EAP

EAP (Enhanced Autopilot) is $5k when you buy the car or $6k if you add it at a later date. Similarly, FSD (Full Self Driving) is $3k with the car purchase or $5k after the fact (originally $4k).

@swaltner,
Tesla Inc will hold the $4K cost to all Tesla 3 buyers who opted NOT to purchase FSD when costing $4000
(I'm in this boat and held off purchasing FSD @ $4000)

So, the trial opened up for me as well and I tried it in commute traffic on an expressway, which is supposed to be a scenario where EAP shines. I have to say this was more scary than relaxing. There were several situations where my lane was clear but I could see stopped traffic maybe 150 ft ahead, and the autopilot just continued driving at full speed up to a point where I had to brake pretty hard to avoid crashing into the stopped vehicles. In all cases I took control because what it was doing seemed way too risky. It's as if the car can only see a very short distance ahead even if the lane is clear. There was also a situation where the car in front of me that the autopilot was following changed to an exit lane and my car for some reason followed, even though there were clear markings on both sides of the lane I was in.

I'll try some highway driving on a trip over the weekend, but so far my impressions aren't good.

So, the trial opened up for me as well and I tried it in commute traffic on an expressway, which is supposed to be a scenario where EAP shines. I have to say this was more scary than relaxing.
I'll try some highway driving on a trip over the weekend, but so far my impressions aren't good.

@Eno Deb,
You should NOT try EAP in commute traffic...it's too busy!

Find a less busy throughway...How about 280 early in the morning

Yes, it starts slowing down much later than I like, which means it needs to brake more aggressively than I would. In situations where you are approaching traffic that is stopped or at least moving much slower than you and you know you'll need to slow down, there's nothing wrong with giving EAP a little nudge by slowing the cruise control set speed down in the 5 mph increments. Start manually slowing the vehicle down well in advance and you (and your disk brakes) will like the experience much better.

I suspect the FSD option, when released to customers, will look further ahead to determine when it needs to slow down.

Reactions: fiatlux
Start manually slowing the vehicle down well in advance and you (and your disk brakes) will like the experience much better.
Hm, I will try that, but this seems to diminish the value of autopilot a lot. If I have to control the speed manually I can just as well drive manually and keep full control. This doesn't feel safe. BTW, I didn't mention the automatic lane change, which seemed to be completely useless in somewhat dense traffic. Either it didn't change the lane at all, or it started moving in situations where it shouldn't because a car was coming up from behind.
I suspect the FSD option, when released to customers, will look further ahead to determine when it needs to slow down.
Honestly, after this experience I suspect fully functional FSD is years away.