Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Received AutoPilot trial this morning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hm, I will try that, but this seems to diminish the value of autopilot a lot. If I have to control the speed manually I can just as well drive manually and keep full control. This doesn't feel safe. BTW, I didn't mention the automatic lane change, which seemed to be completely useless in somewhat dense traffic. Either it didn't change the lane at all, or it started moving in situations where it shouldn't because a car was coming up from behind.
Honestly, after this experience I suspect fully functional FSD is years away.
I'm sorry you're not having a better experience. What is your distance set? I have mine set as 3 car lengths and it does a great job at maintaining a decent speed and distance, even in stop and go traffic. The only time I adjust the speed is when I change lanes and wish to go a little faster, but so far I keep it set at my max speed and it negotiates that with whatever's around.

Hm, I will try that, but this seems to diminish the value of autopilot a lot. If I have to control the speed manually I can just as well drive manually and keep full control. This doesn't feel safe. BTW, I didn't mention the automatic lane change, which seemed to be completely useless in somewhat dense traffic. Either it didn't change the lane at all, or it started moving in situations where it shouldn't because a car was coming up from behind.
Agree 100%. There are just way too many variables out there and the roads are way to nonstandard. Construction areas seem like a major issue.

I'm sorry you're not having a better experience. What is your distance set? I have mine set as 3 car lengths and it does a great job at maintaining a decent speed and distance
I first used the default setting (3 I think?) and also tried increasing it. Didn't change that it drove towards stopped traffic way too aggressively. One thing I will try is chill mode, but I doubt it will solve the issue. The problem seems to be that autopilot doesn't look far enough ahead.

Just came back from a shopping trip that involved some freeway driving ... much better than the expressway commute yesterday. As long as the traffic keeps flowing (without abrupt changes from higher speed to zero) and you're in a clearly marked middle lane (merging lanes confuse the autopilot) on a straight or only slighty curving freeway it's fine. On the other hand, manual driving in such situations is quite pleasant too in this car due to (mostly) one-pedal driving via regen. So is EAP worth $5K-6K to me? Not really. In its current state it's not that much more than glorified cruise control. Hopefully software release 9 will bring significant improvements.

BTW, I didn't find it difficult at all to deal with the "nag". Just hold the wheel lightly such that there is a little bit of resistance against the autopilot's micro-movements.

Just came back from a shopping trip that involved some freeway driving ... much better than the expressway commute yesterday. As long as the traffic keeps flowing (without abrupt changes from higher speed to zero) and you're in a clearly marked middle lane (merging lanes confuse the autopilot) on a straight or only slighty curving freeway it's fine. On the other hand, manual driving in such situations is quite pleasant too in this car due to (mostly) one-pedal driving via regen. So is EAP worth $5K-6K to me? Not really. In its current state it's not that much more than glorified cruise control. Hopefully software release 9 will bring significant improvements.

BTW, I didn't find it difficult at all to deal with the "nag". Just hold the wheel lightly such that there is a little bit of resistance against the autopilot's micro-movements.
Yeah, EAP really only shines on highway trips longer than an hour. Below that, the car is still too good to drive that you want to stay in control.
How does Tesla justify the extra $1000 to turn AP on now instead of at car purchase time? I'd refuse to pay it and only offer them $5000, take it or leave it.
They may honor it, depending on when you purchased your car. However, this is a not a dealership where you can generally haggle the price based on your criteria. They've been pretty plain about the cost, whether that includes the price difference or not. I think if you approached them with a "take it or leave it" atttitude, they may reply with "come back when you have $6000." Hehe! They have to make up their margins somehow.

How does Tesla justify the extra $1000 to turn AP on now instead of at car purchase time? I'd refuse to pay it and only offer them $5000, take it or leave it.

Why $5k, since you already have had the car for several months since Tesla "forced" you to buy it, I would only give them $4,500 to make up for them making you drive without EAP all these months.

What I want to see is changing the following distance dynamically based on speed. Yes, give me 3 lengths at speed, but when we start getting into bumper to bumper shrink that to 1.5 lengths.

timk225 said:

Because as a business they want to sell you stuff. The price difference is to encourage you to buy it now rather than wait and potentially not buy it. Pretty common.

Reactions: geometro
I got the free trial just in time for a road trip. Like any new tool, it takes time to learn how to use it properly. I find it grows on me. Is it perfect? No, but reduced the stress considerably for me on the first leg of the trip. I am learning how to rest my arm on the center console and hand on the wheel to put a slight rotational pressure on the wheel. I alternate with my left arm on my left knee and the same rotational force. That seems to work pretty well. I watch the road for unusual things like bad line markings or things in the roadway which will confuse the system. It seems to handle the routine things well for me. I understand there is a sale price for a few weeks of $5,500 instead of the $6,000 for after delivery activation. Also I understand that in California, sales tax is not charged on software delivered over the air like it is on software sold in a car (or computer). That makes the after delivery price nearly the same for me.

Also I understand that in California, sales tax is not charged on software delivered over the air like it is on software sold in a car (or computer). That makes the after delivery price nearly the same for me.
I thought the same, but if you start the purchase process (without completing it) on the web site or in the car, you'll see that it will actually apply sales tax if your registered address is in CA.

Me too. Now I might be tempted to buy it. I had wondered if it was just a software switch. It is definitely weird, but I could see myself using it if I was really tired or maybe had a couple drinks (but was still technically legal to drive).
I love it for daily commute. Like a second driver who doesn’t audibly gasp at every car. It takes a little practice to understand its limitations and have confidence in it. I like using it now and adding features as I go rather than waiting a year and then trying to take in whatever system is in place, if that makes any sense.

Increase the set following distance. It’ll brake sooner for you.

I first used the default setting (3 I think?) and also tried increasing it. Didn't change that it drove towards stopped traffic way too aggressively. One thing I will try is chill mode, but I doubt it will solve the issue. The problem seems to be that autopilot doesn't look far enough ahead.
Sensor looks about 160 meters if I understood Tesla’s website correctly. It’s just a math problem. You give it max speed and the following distance you want maintained.

For those of you on the EAP trial, I've been using it during "stop-and-go" traffic on multi-lane freeways and highways with clearly defined striped lanes and a follow distance of 1-2 while adjusting the maximum speed every so often. Took a while for the "fear factor" to wear off, but it's been working perfectly.