Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent MYP Delivery Estimates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's so messed up . People are ordering in October and have already taken delivery. Certainly doesn't seem fair at all SMH. My OD is 9-18
Yeah, but Tesla got their money, what do they care? I did can my SA and he says I'm scheduled for end of November. This is the third window he's given me so I'm not sure if it's correct. It is 2-3 weeks out instead of over a month, so maybe it's accurate? I still have lost all faith in Tesla though. I'll believe it when I have the car in my garage.

That's so messed up . People are ordering in October and have already taken delivery. Certainly doesn't seem fair at all SMH. My OD is 9-18
I get your frustration, but at the same time it's most likely because someone cancelled or put that specific trim and package on hold and someone else was close to the car's location they can get to quickly. Otherwise they would spend thousands shipping cars around taking up space for a different car to get to another owner every time a car is rejected. Becomes more of a logistical nightmare than just handing off to someone down the street. I just learn to stop checking the EDD as that'll just drive me crazy. Hang in there.

I get your frustration, but at the same time it's most likely because someone cancelled or put that specific trim and package on hold and someone else was close to the car's location they can get to quickly. Otherwise they would spend thousands shipping cars around taking up space for a different car to get to another owner every time a car is rejected. Becomes more of a logistical nightmare than just handing off to someone down the street. I just learn to stop checking the EDD as that'll just drive me crazy. Hang in there.
Thanks for talking me off the ledge. I hear the wait is worth it. We'll see

Yeah, but Tesla got their money, what do they care? I did can my SA and he says I'm scheduled for end of November. This is the third window he's given me so I'm not sure if it's correct. It is 2-3 weeks out instead of over a month, so maybe it's accurate? I still have lost all faith in Tesla though. I'll believe it when I have the car in my garage.
re: Tesla "got their money" is a bit of a stretch. They really get paid when the vehicle is delivered, the ~.5% deposit is fairly insignificant by comparison.

Reactions: WhiteWi
My SA referred to me as being “matched to a vehicle”. Perhaps someone here has a better understanding of how the cars go from being bulit to being assigned a VIN to getting matched to a buyer. My understanding would have been that the cars are built to the orders with a specific buyer in mind. However referring to this as a match makes me think they just pump them out with a string of VIN’s and then slap your VIN on one of the built vehicles. Anyone understand if the vehicles have a VIN during production or if it happens after being fully built and how this whole match works? It’s annoying but fascinating.

it’s not a stretch. they literally have his money and are not obligated to pay it back. remember it’s an “order” fee.

if a buyer backs out, tesla keeps it.
Valid but that's not the way I was thinking about it. Tesla's incentive is to deliver a car and get the other ~99.5% of the money. Nickeling and diming and pissing off 200 customers to collect $250 per customer is not in their best interest. The feedback from OP is "they don't care about me, they already have my money", which is a fairly hyperbolic, nonsensical way to think about it. They want to sell you a car, not skip town with $250 in their pocket, laughing all the way to the bank.

Reactions: Steve S and WhiteWi
it’s not a stretch. they literally have his money and are not obligated to pay it back. remember it’s an “order” fee.

if a buyer backs out, tesla keeps it.
It’s a stretch LOL. If you thought they were capable of this and not operating in good faith you probably wouldn’t have ordered on a gamble.

The communication is awful at times and an SA not in the know may speak out of turn. People get upset with no info, so they push then get bad info. Sucks. Have to imagine it frustrates SAs that they don’t can’t provide more.

but as a company they don’t care about your $250. They want your $65k.

They want to sell you a car, not skip town with $250 in their pocket, laughing all the way to the bank.
I don't think anyone's realistically assuming Tesla is cheating and stealing customer money ... more that they seem careless and/or indifferent to orders already placed. That's why I suggested a national "EDD Resolution Team".

If it were my customer, at the VERY least I'd be calling them every week to relay every last bit of RELIABLE information I had ... even if I had nothing. You know, the little bit of extra flourish of service one can expect after agreeing to pay the kind of money it takes to get a Tesla. ... And perhaps it isn't even a matter of money; hell, some used car lots have better attention to these kinds of CS details, than Tesla does (at least for the moment).

It’s a stretch LOL. If you thought they were capable of this and not operating in good faith you probably wouldn’t have ordered on a gamble.

The communication is awful at times and an SA not in the know may speak out of turn. People get upset with no info, so they push then get bad info. Sucks. Have to imagine it frustrates SAs that they don’t can’t provide more.

but as a company they don’t care about your $250. They want your $65k.

point is they still hold your fee. whether you buy a tesla or not.

Valid but that's not the way I was thinking about it. Tesla's incentive is to deliver a car and get the other ~99.5% of the money. Nickeling and diming and pissing off 200 customers to collect $250 per customer is not in their best interest. The feedback from OP is "they don't care about me, they already have my money", which is a fairly hyperbolic, nonsensical way to think about it. They want to sell you a car, not skip town with $250 in their pocket, laughing all the way to the bank.
They're eventually going to get me the car, but when they say a time frame and it's 3x that time frame it shows indifference. And if I cancel my order, that's free money. They have another customer lined up for that car already. Because of their delay I've lost $750 from state rebate, about $2k+ from trade in, and I paid an extra $7k because I was told the delivery time was significantly shorter (4-6 weeks for MYP, November/December for MYLR when it will only be a couple week difference).

Reactions: ltsr
I don't think anyone's realistically assuming Tesla is cheating and stealing customer money ... more that they seem careless and/or indifferent to orders already placed. That's why I suggested a national "EDD Resolution Team".

If it were my customer, at the VERY least I'd be calling them every week to relay every last bit of RELIABLE information I had ... even if I had nothing. You know, the little bit of extra flourish of service one can expect after agreeing to pay the kind of money it takes to get a Tesla. ... And perhaps it isn't even a matter of money; hell, some used car lots have better attention to these kinds of CS details, than Tesla does (at least for the moment).
Their ordering system is certainly a bit chaotic. Nobody likes to wait, and most definitely their order experience and comms need to get better.

But claiming Tesla "got their money", which is at this point is $250, and doesn't care anymore is hardly an objective way to frame a ~53 day old order.

I for sure don't want someone calling me every week with "I have nothing to tell you", and would prefer Tesla invest their money into better vehicles and faster production velocity. Keeping my dates as fresh on the website as whatever guestimation algorithms they've cooked up meets my expectations at least.

End of the day, it's just frustration. People ordering over a month later or LR in August getting vins while I may have to wait another 6 months because I'm going to be gone in December and they'll wait until EOQ to deliver to CA. I know Tesla is just trying to maximize deliveries/profits so it makes sense to deliver closer later, but it just sucks being punished because of where I live.

It's 4.2% on the current value which depreciates significantly every year. So if you bought a $40K car on January 1, your PP tax for the year would be about $1600 (2 payments of 800). Not cheap for sure, but not enough to force anyone to sell the car (I hope). It goes down every year based on the Blue Book value of your make/model/VIN number.

Real world example: I paid about $40k at the end of 2014 for a new car. PP Tax in 2015 was $1250. 2016 it went down to 850, 2017 it was 640. etc etc. This year it was $380.

My point is not to debate the benefit or reasoning behind the tax, only to show that it shouldn't be such a burden to cause anyone to sell their vehicle unless you couldn't really afford it in the first place or they had some other significant hardship during the year.
Does this amount include registration as well or is that separat?

Their ordering system is certainly a bit chaotic. Nobody likes to wait, and most definitely their order experience and comms need to get better.

But claiming Tesla "got their money", which is at this point is $250, and doesn't care anymore is hardly an objective way to frame a ~53 day old order.

I for sure don't want someone calling me every week with "I have nothing to tell you", and would prefer Tesla invest their money into better vehicles and faster production velocity. Keeping my dates as fresh on the website as whatever guestimation algorithms they've cooked up meets my expectations at least.
I'm one of an unlucky and foolish crowd ... thought it was best to make the final payment when my VIN showed up. That was 6 weeks ago. They've had THAT money and the $250 for 6 weeks, and have made no effort to contact me (with the exception of me reaching out to them first). That's careless.

My fear is they'll give me a delivery date, then say "oops, we have to refund u first" ... (which I've been told takes 4 to 6 weeks) ... "and now because we took so long 1) getting the car to u and 2) refunding you ... u have to reapply for financing all over again".