Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent MYP Delivery Estimates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From everything I've read you need to put a hold on your order BEFORE you get a VIN. Once you are assigned a VIN that means your car will be built and set for delivery at some date. They won't hold the car for you, you either accept delivery or reject it and they sell it to someone else. After that you'll be back at the end of the line or might get assigned another car later. But that also gives Tesla the option to cancel your order after 30 days and keep your order fee.
My intention is to take delivery as early in 2022 as possible, current EDD is 12/17-31. You're saying applying a proactive hold now until 1/1/22 before I'm assigned a VIN vs delaying delivery after VIN assignment in Dec could mean I'm not bumped to the back of the line on 1/1/22? Or just that I won't risk order cancellation?

If I bought a Model S I'd have to pay $4k per year just to pay taxes on the damn thing.... or, like I said, $6k worth of my salary. I don't care how well off you are, $20k over 5 years is alot. That $90-100k car becomes a $110-120k car.
Not saying that it doesn't stink, but I prefer to look at overall tax burden rate. Not sure where in Maryland you live, but counties like Montgomery have an especially harsh tax burden. So if you look at real estate property tax, individual income tax rate, gas tax (not relevant in this forum), I think Virginia's still comes out 'better' in overall tax burden. There is a 35% 'relief' on the car tax for the first $20k of the vehicle value, and the tax rate is based on value, so obviously declines over time.

The SALT cap enacted a few years ago hurt - previously that got added up into overall deductions.

Reactions: Stook02ss
Not saying that it doesn't stink, but I prefer to look at overall tax burden rate. Not sure where in Maryland you live, but counties like Montgomery have an especially harsh tax burden. So if you look at real estate property tax, individual income tax rate, gas tax (not relevant in this forum), I think Virginia's still comes out 'better' in overall tax burden. There is a 35% 'relief' on the car tax for the first $20k of the vehicle value, and the tax rate is based on value, so obviously declines over time.

The SALT cap enacted a few years ago hurt - previously that got added up into overall deductions.
Oh Virginia may come out better (granted I live in Anne Arundel county... its pretty cheap) at times when it comes to overall taxes... and if I buy a home there, the size of the home I get would likely reflect that! I just wouldn't retire there and buy my retirement dream boat/RV... lol.

Really, 4% isn't a lot to you??? If you're a family with two cars worth a combined 100k that's $4000 every year just in taxes. That means you need to make $6k more given you pay about 1/3 in taxes. That really adds up if you live in parts of VA where the salaries aren't as high, even for working professionals. They now have cars worth around $40k total, both used. So $2500 less per year.

It's an even bigger deal when you also have an asset like a boat or RV. Now someone in retirement has to pay 4% of that boats value every year. They got the damn thing expecting to enjoy it.. they retired and spent $200-250k on a dream boat/RV... and now they are paying $10k in taxes starting year one. No thanks.

It also rests a lot on how the state conducts its valuations. I recall that being total BS when I talked to him.... super inflated price year over year.
It's 4.2% on the current value which depreciates significantly every year. So if you bought a $40K car on January 1, your PP tax for the year would be about $1600 (2 payments of 800). Not cheap for sure, but not enough to force anyone to sell the car (I hope). It goes down every year based on the Blue Book value of your make/model/VIN number.

Real world example: I paid about $40k at the end of 2014 for a new car. PP Tax in 2015 was $1250. 2016 it went down to 850, 2017 it was 640. etc etc. This year it was $380.

My point is not to debate the benefit or reasoning behind the tax, only to show that it shouldn't be such a burden to cause anyone to sell their vehicle unless you couldn't really afford it in the first place or they had some other significant hardship during the year.

Reactions: tbcboo
It's 4.2% on the current value which depreciates significantly every year. So if you bought a $40K car on January 1, your PP tax for the year would be about $1600 (2 payments of 800). Not cheap for sure, but not enough to force anyone to sell the car (I hope). It goes down every year based on the Blue Book value of your make/model/VIN number.

Real world example: I paid about $40k at the end of 2014 for a new car. PP Tax in 2015 was $1250. 2016 it went down to 850, 2017 it was 640. etc etc. This year it was $380.

My point is not to debate the benefit or reasoning behind the tax, only to show that it shouldn't be such a burden to cause anyone to sell their vehicle unless you couldn't really afford it in the first place or they had some other significant hardship during the year.
The two exmples in question were a Model S and a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 8. They maintain value like crazy... and apparently they had to pay acccordingly every year for the better part of 4 years. Being from Delaware this is not something they had expected.

The two exmples in question were a Model S and a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 8. They maintain value like crazy... and apparently they had to pay acccordingly every year for the better part of 4 years. Being from Delaware this is not something they had expected.
Agree, if I had a 100K+ car and had to pay the PP tax, it would definitely be more painful. But hey, At least you avoided paying sales tax in DE!

Reactions: Stook02ss
Got a vin last Thursday, but SA said I worked probably get a notification to schedule delivery at the end of this week. I can’t just call someone to schedule already?
Yep! I did this, called number for SC in Rockville, followed prompts for “new car delivery” and scheduled before the text came.

I was told if I wait for the text maybe I could schedule it a day or two sooner than he could give me over the phone.

But I had a specific day in mind towards the end my EDD window and they were able to make it happen.

Just to be transparent, I wasn’t exaggerating. They could be showing me discounts that perhaps I don’t end up qualifying for and certainly want my umbrella and home owner’s policies so everyone will have a unique situation.
That’s a great quote! I live in Chicago and State Farm quoted me $300 for the same configuration but for only the MYP.

Reactions: Jbapckfan
My intention is to take delivery as early in 2022 as possible, current EDD is 12/17-31. You're saying applying a proactive hold now until 1/1/22 before I'm assigned a VIN vs delaying delivery after VIN assignment in Dec could mean I'm not bumped to the back of the line on 1/1/22? Or just that I won't risk order cancellation?
Yes, because without a hold then you could be assigned a VIN at any time, and if you reject it they'll give it to someone else and it gives them the option to cancel your order in 30 days. I haven't seen that happen to anyone yet but it's in the order agreement. If you put the hold on it now then you'll see on your order page that it's on hold and you'll have an "I'm ready" button that you can click at any time to get back in line.

Is sales tax based on the dealership location? I may switch to a different one to save something like 2.5%. I probably live in one of the lowest sales tax areas in CA.

MN might be different but around here it's your address, so that wouldn't change anything.
I’m not 100% certain but cars are typically taxed where they are registered.

Today's SA update: EDD 12/24-12/27 (CA)
A 3-day window that far out. ... That's the strangest EDD I've seen yet.

Tesla REALLY needs to form a national EDD resolution team, like yesterday, to focus on existing unfulfilled orders; stop relying on an algorithm that's OBVIOUSLY overmatched against the times (pandemic, part shortages). If they already have such a team, they need to expand it.

A 3-day window that far out. ... That's the strangest EDD I've seen yet.

Tesla REALLY needs to form a national EDD resolution team, like yesterday; stop relying on an algorithm that's OBVIOUSLY overmatched against the times (pandemic, part shortages). If they already have such a team, they need to expand it.

Well, I am not getting these updates via the App, as my app has never changed once since OD. I have to rely on getting these dates from the SA and what they see in their system.

Today's SA update: EDD 12/24-12/27 (CA)
What city do you live in? I've called 4 to 5 different Tesla dealerships...in my state of Florida and in other states, and all of the SA's tell me they cannot gather any information without a VIN Number.. no manufacture date. I just don't understand.Maybe I'll call a Tesla dealership in your city to get me more information. Thanks in advance for letting me know and helping!

• Funny
Reactions: Viv1984 and WhiteWi