Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent MYP Delivery Estimates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Gen 3 charger (already installed), taking delivery tomorrow of MYP. Funny enough, I had the charger installed in December thinking I would be getting the car in January. So tomorrow will be the first time I use it, hopefully it works well.

Stupid question. How do I know what gen tesla charger I bought? I got it last week from the tesla website.

I will be installing it on a 60amp breaker hoping for max charging power!

If you bought it last week and it's white (glass front) and looks like this then it's probably a gen3. The gen2's have been gone for a while.
1648581657878.png

Stupid question. How do I know what gen tesla charger I bought? I got it last week from the tesla website.

I will be installing it on a 60amp breaker hoping for max charging power!
The current model is Gen 3, so if you purchased last week, then that's what you will get. I believe the current version (Gen 3) has been around about a year. The amp used will be determined by the panel you have, some will be limited to 50amps. Good luck with the install!

The current model is Gen 3, so if you purchased last week, then that's what you will get. I believe the current version (Gen 3) has been around about a year. The amp used will be determined by the panel you have, some will be limited to 50amps. Good luck with the install!

I don't want to hijack this thread but I am going to install a Wall Connector very soon and saw that Tesla recommends "If installing for maximum power, use minimum 6 AWG, 90° C-rated copper wire for conductors."

I am planning to use max power, so i was wondering what most of you have installed for it in terms of wiring? 6AWG? Better?

I don't want to hijack this thread but I am going to install a Wall Connector very soon and saw that Tesla recommends "If installing for maximum power, use minimum 6 AWG, 90° C-rated copper wire for conductors."

I am planning to use max power, so i was wondering what most of you have installed for it in terms of wiring? 6AWG? Better?
My electrician used 6AWG and I'm getting the full 48A when charging.

I'm in a brownstone in NY. I'll be pulling an extension chord out past the sidewalk to the car. Not sure if I'll have the opportunity to get anything more than a trickle charge. Can I install a 240v plug and use that?
There are 220/240v extension cords, you just need to make sure they are rated for what you are planning on doing with them. At work we have 220/240v welders and we have industrial extension cords we regularly use to extend the range. But all the pieces of the puzzle are properly rated for the task being accomplished and the environment they are in (or could be in).

There are 220/240v extension cords, you just need to make sure they are rated for what you are planning on doing with them. At work we have 220/240v welders and we have industrial extension cords we regularly use to extend the range. But all the pieces of the puzzle are properly rated for the task being accomplished and the environment they are in (or could be in).
Thank you! This is definitely good to know. Are the wall chargers that come with the MYP rated for 220/240v?

Thank you! This is definitely good to know. Are the wall chargers that come with the MYP rated for 220/240v?
Yes - you will need to buy the adapter dongle though to swap out the end. Link below - just pick the right adapter for your plug.

One other thing to consider with the extension cords is potential outdoor rating - this may change your breaker requirement to a GFCI breaker. Also - big extension cords like that have a pretty high risk of theft or damage. Not sure about the neighborhood you live in, but it is heavy gauge copper wire - which fetches a premium price right now. So theft rates have been going up. Something to consider.

If you bought it last week and it's white (glass front) and looks like this then it's probably a gen3. The gen2's have been gone for a while.
View attachment 787482

Yep that's what I got! Thanks!

Timing seemed perfect as I had upgraded my service at the house I will be installing it at to 200 amps. It can definitely handle it.

Unfortunately at my nyc home I only have 100 Amp service so I basically stuck with a 30amp breaker. Not planning to change it since we will probably be moving to another home soon.

Can't wait to plug it!