Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recieved tesla s yesterday no AP2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
direct selling is not allowed but you can buy it in other states and can get delivered it here
Exactly my point, so why would a salesperson be calling and pestering a Michigan resident directly unless that resident already made the purchase. The poster made it sound like he kept getting calls and was convinced to buy the vehicle from mystical, nonexistent, Tesla sales calls, which would have been illegal.

Unless I'm misinterpreting your post Recieved tesla s yesterday no AP2 It was kind of broken English.

People act like they wouldn't be pissed they just spent $120K on a car that will be essentially outdated in a month. Not that it wouldn't be a great car or usable, but when you buy a 'last years model' especially one with a redesign or major feature changes coming, it typically comes at a major discount from traditional carmakers.

I understand that Tesla is pushing the envelope and changes will be occurring all the time, but Tesla should really be more transparent about it. If they had given 6 months notice of Tesla Vision before manufactuing cars with it, they would not have unhappy customers..it's not as though there are competitors on their tail with respect to non-lidar autonomy that is going to beat them to production on their ideas.

Tesla should take care of you in some way -- offer you an exchange for the new model, offer you $5K off your next Tesla, or transition you to a lease instead of finance so you can get an AP2 model next year. Keep at it!
A 6 month heads up? That would mean sales would be decimated for 6 months. There really is no way to solve this 'problem' other than have auto dealerships and model years which Tesla won't do. And if the limit is 30 days for this rebate and you get your car at 31 days do you not get upset? Some people would still get upset and say 'it's only a day past the window. Not fair!'. If you bump it to 60 days the 61 day person would be upset....etc

Shumdit, you're quite a Tesla FANBOY defending their poor business practices. If you don't think that every recent Tesla owner within the last six months took a $10K financial drop in resale value from Tesla unloading their old inventory on them, I'll sell you my 2 month old Tesla S 90D with 2K miles for $5K less than I paid for it right now.

I didn't make a mistake, Tesla did. They chose to be shortsighted and treat ALL of their recent customers who bought AP 1.0 poorly. They can get away with that now because they don't have any real competition in the high end electric vehicle segment. However, it will come back to haunt them in a few years when there are good alternatives from other manufacturers.

I would have been happy if Tesla had only planned for buyers within the last 30 days. It would have shown that Tesla does care about their existing customers and not just their future ones. Extending further into the past than 30 days would have required Tesla to plan, which they chose not to do.

You show your complete lack of knowledge of software development with your comment that AP 1.0 will continue to get enhancements now that AP 2.0 is out with entirely new hardware. Anyone who actually knows about software development will immediately understand that AP 1.0 is already in maintenance mode.

Calling people a FANBOY is unnecessary. Maybe you could help me with my situation. I ordered my car and waited for 3.5 years. 6 months after delivery that came out with a new hardware upgrade that I could only retrofit for $14,000 or so. Should I be upset? My car didn't even come with parking sensors, folding mirror and certainly not Autopilot.

Don't tell people they show a complete lack of knowledge when you are wrong. My car continues to receive software updates. Sure, it doesn't receive new hardware over the air but I'm smart enough to realize that isn't possible. It's not in maintenance mode, they released a major improvement in how it operates and recognizes things just recently.

Reactions: Canuck
I'm sorry you are disappointed, and I feel bad for you. The best thing for Tesla to do, however, is nothing.

Actually Tesla should have come up with a plan for all 25K+ Tesla S and X owners who purchased their vehicles within the past 30 - 90 days. They could have planned ahead and prewired the vehicles so they could offer AP 2.0 retrofits (for a fee) to recent owners. Tesla has been planning this update for most of 2016. They had already started to make some of the prewire changes needed to S and X vehicles for AP 2.0 as far back as 3 months before it was announced. Some planning is all it would have required.

This isn't a cosmetic change, a performance improvement, or a change in the capacity of the battery. Every one of the 25K+ customers who received AP 1.0 with their Tesla's in the last 90+ days are now blocked from getting all of the future software improvements for AutoPilot. Tesla won't be putting more than a minimal maintenance development effort into AP 1.0. The improvements coming from AP 2.0 will be the exciting highlights of every article, video and feature about Tesla for the next several years. All of the people who received AP 1.0 in the last 3 - 6 months should be disappointed that Tesla left them on their old technology.

By unloading the old inventory of AP 1.0 hardware on thousands of unsuspecting customers without an upgrade path, Tesla has put their short term profits ahead of customer satisfaction. With the AP 2.0 announcement, Tesla has lowered the resale value on all of these vehicles by nearly $10K each. If Tesla chose not to do a retrofit, they should at least be refunding the AP 1.0 cost back to recent owners they've left on the dead-end old technology.[/QUOTE]
thanks for understanding. My problem is them shipping despite clear instructions that if the upgrade is coming they should not do it.

By unloading the old inventory of AP 1.0 hardware on thousands of unsuspecting customers without an upgrade path
These people got what they paid for... you act like these people were shorted in some way which is not true.
The delivery estimates of AP2 for new orders after the announcement aren't even until December which is way past your 30 days.

Reactions: MP3Mike and bhzmark
These people got what they paid for... you act like these people were shorted in some way which is not true.
The delivery estimates of AP2 for new orders after the announcement aren't even until December which is way past your 30 days.

Because they appear to be shipping early quarter cars overseas. So they deliver by end of quarter. They didn't stop the plant for a few months.

Because they appear to be shipping early quarter cars overseas. So they deliver by end of quarter. They didn't stop the plant for a few months.
I didn't ask why, but point is, the people who took delivery just before the announcement got what they paid for and should enjoy it. Anyone who hit the purchase button and ends up getting AP2 hardware, then good for them, it's a bonus.

Second point is that there is a delay between the announcement and the first AP2 deliveries.

Reactions: bhzmark
Tesla's policy is to introduce improvements as soon as they are ready. They never will know for sure the exact date they will be ready, as this is done on the fly, instead of waiting for the next model year.

Probably impossible to pre wire all their production vehicles in advance of an improvement being integrated, as they are shopping for the latest technology right up to the pencils down moment.

Even then, last minute improvements and de-bugging probably requires them some flexibility right up to the product announcement (and perhaps even beyond)

Expecting Tesla to predict precisely what improvements that shall become available for future models is perhaps unrealistic.

They do the best as possible by updating their software over the air when new features are available, and doing this at no charge to their current customers. Expecting them to retrofit every new hardware would be handcuffing them severely.

In the past, when upgrades could be designed to integrate into previous vehicles (like the safety enhancing titanium bottom brace) they have done so, and at no costs, however expecting is to be done for every advancement might be a bit much.

If it's not one thing it's another. Everyone seems to just miss on something.

If AP2 was that important to you then you should've just waited.

I know 100 was coming (and ap2) and still ordered a 90 as I gambled they would've launched it with the nose refresh if it was soon. Got it switched to the 100 during ordering and missed the updated console. Also missed ap2 by a couple months. Oh well.

Reactions: JeffK