Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommend an Android phone that works >99% with phone key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Nexus 6p with Android Oreo was near perfect. My current Nokia 7.1 with Android Pie needs to be taken out of my pocket, though it pretty much always shows it's connected to the 3. Maybe too aggressive power conservation, or cutting Bluetooth transmit power when at close range? My wife's Note 5 (I think on Android Nugat, no constant "T" in notifications like O and P) is problematic for her. Unfortunately it's her car.

My current phone is garbage....absolute garbage for phone key. It works less than 25% of the time and even then only if I toggle airplane mode on/off right beforehand.

I need some suggestions on Android phones that work close to 100% of the time.

I prefer to buy used/refurbished, so something last gen would be preferred.

Thanks in advance!

My Galaxy S8+ works all the time. So does my wife's Galaxy S9. BT doesn't go through bodies so the phones have to be presented to the car without a body blocking it.

My wife has a Pixel 2 and it has never not worked for her either as a second data point.

My wife and I both have pixel 2 and it's annoying. Works in my pocket or her purse about 10% of the time. Works 80% if I take phone out of pocket and the screen turns on (phone still locked) 10% it just doesn't care at all and I have to use the notification to do an unlock.

Does she just leave it in purse or pocket and walk up and get in?

My wife and I both have pixel 2 and it's annoying. Works in my pocket or her purse about 10% of the time. Works 80% if I take phone out of pocket and the screen turns on (phone still locked) 10% it just doesn't care at all and I have to use the notification to do an unlock.

Does she just leave it in purse or pocket and walk up and get in?

Yea either in her pocket or in her hand. She doesnt always do purses.

For me it's always in pocket.

My pixel XL and pixel 3xl are good but not flawless. They are both probably 99% successful.

I have a Pixel XL as well and agree that it's good but not perfect. It will 100% of the time eventually unlock the door, but maybe every other day there will be a delay of varying length. Sometimes it's just 2-3 seconds, but sometimes it's more like 10-15 seconds. For those longer delays I either have to rotate my body so my right pocket is closer to the car or sometimes even take it out of my pocket. I don't think I've ever been FORCED to use the key card, although I have used it a handful of times if I was really in a hurry. Similar experience but much less frequently with putting the car in D/R. Maybe every 4-5 days I'll have to sit there for as long as 5-10 seconds pushing right stalk up, down, regular park, parking brake park. Most times for D/R it's instantaneous Again, it eventually starts up, and I don't think I've ever HAD to use the card, but occasionally will out of annoyance. Fortunately I don't think I've ever been delayed at the door AND in the driver's seat.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and it has worked 100% of the time in the last 4-5 months.

However, when I leave the BT on when I'm at home the battery gets drained relatively quickly.
This happens only when I park in my garage and leave my phone in its normal location overnight.
If I park in the driveway (further away by 15 ft) then the BT does not drain the battery much.
Because of this I usually turn off BT when I get home...then 10-20% of the time I forget to turn it back on in the morning...
until I go to the garage and pull on the handle. Nothing happens; then I turn BT back on and the car door opens within ~2-3 seconds.

I'll add another data point, I had the OnePlus One, was a great phone but terrible key, worked at best 20% of the time! I finally changed to the OnePlus 6 and it's been 100% for the last 2+ months! I never take it out of my pocket, never a delay opening the doors or trunk it just works!

My OnePlus 6T works flawlessly as did my 3T....
I know the issue (s) to check for when things aren't working:
  • The application is no longer in memory
    • Current Android OS have settings (battery optimization) to prevent the OS from closing the app even in the background
    • When things don't work, I relaunch the app and can tell it's actually starting it up vs switching to it already running
    • My OnePlus 6T had 8Gb of RAM, this may make it less likely to have the OS force close the app?
    • When Tesla updates the app, I have to set the battery optimization again
  • Bluetooth stack got corrupted
    • If the above doesn't work (obvious because the app doesn't show "connected" after starting it)
    • Turn Bluetooth off, wait 5 seconds and turn Bluetooth back on
    • This has only happened 2 times in 10 months and I think it was because my phone was too close to the car for a long time (maybe with marginal signal) that caused it to connect/disconnect too many times?
I don't experience trouble often (meaning that I go months without issue), but when I do, it's been these 2 issues every time

Google Pixel 3XL.....flawless. Any issues are operator induced (i.e., I've forgotten I'm on airplane mode).

Since moving to Pixel 3 (no XL for me!) I've had zero issues.

+1 on Pixel 3.

My pixel XL was pretty bad. My pixel 3 xl has been 100%

Another 1 for Pixel 3 XL. It has been flawless since I switched to it in December last year. Before that I had the LG G4... it was working about 80% of the time.