Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommend to buy Model 3 in Minnesnowta? Or wait for probs to be fixed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If she will nitpick or be frustrated by small bugs, it may make sense to wait.
I agree. I'm kind of in the same boat, in that I expect an expensive new car to look right and work right and not enlist me in the manufacturer's beta test program. Full stop. Not at all convinced Tesla is there yet. I know some are receiving perfect cars, but many are receiving "acceptable" Model 3's which may or may not be acceptable to her (or me). Honestly, I've come to the conclusion that Tesla has done with software what Lucas did with wiring: create situations where switches don't switch, windows don't open (or shut), lights develop a mind of their own and updates meant to fix one bug create new ones. I wouldn't accept that in my Lucas-wired Triumph roadster, much less a $40-60k new car. She might not, either.
Robin

In my experience it does not happen more frequently in the Model 3. My BMW (now sold) experienced the sticking window problem repeatedly when the temperature went below -20 (not uncommon here). The same happened to my Smart, though not as often. I solved the problem by putting some silicone lubricant on the rubber that touches the windows. I've done the same for my Model 3 and its windows, doors and charge port have worked flawlessly, though we've only had a couple days that cold so far this season. Pre-heating should also help with sticky windows and it's certainly recommended in such temperatures if only to add some heat the battery.

In my experience it does not happen more frequently in the Model 3. My BMW (now sold) experienced the sticking window problem repeatedly when the temperature went below -20 (not uncommon here). The same happened to my Smart, though not as often. I solved the problem by putting some silicone lubricant on the rubber that touches the windows. I've done the same for my Model 3 and its windows, doors and charge port have worked flawlessly, though we've only had a couple days that cold so far this season. Pre-heating should also help with sticky windows and it's certainly recommended in such temperatures if only to add some heat the battery.

I’m happy for you and I have no issue with you reporting your experience, it’s annoying to see people get shouted down for simply relaying their experience which isn’t the same as yours. Frankly it might be an issue in just a small subset of cars.

We’ll find out over the next couple months.

I...The same happened to my Smart, though not as often. I solved the problem by putting some silicone lubricant on the rubber that touches the windows. I've done the same for my Model 3 and its windows, doors and charge port have worked flawlessly, though we've only had a couple days that cold so far this season...
How many Teslas are around Thunder Bay? I was on my way there from Halifax when my P3D+ was attacked by a carelessly passing Quebecois travel trailer, abruptly ending my TCG coast-to-coast plan. I'll revive the plan next summer. By that time there might even be a few Superchargers in Northern Ontario.

I've seen one other Model 3 in town but I've been told there may be a couple more. One owner held a public showing last weekend to introduce the car to people but I couldn't attend as I had to work that day. Also, a couple Model S's showed up to a car meet last summer. So, there aren't many of us. The lack of superchargers within a 200-mile radius acts as a deterrent. Sorry to hear about your misadventure. Better luck next year.

Getting ready to prep my 3 for winter ops... I need to leave it outside in the Chicago winter for several days at a time, mostly unplugged in an airport parking lot. Just curious which type of silicone lube you used - dry type, or? I have a lot of different silicone sprays from my motorbike supply, just not sure which one would work best.

Getting ready to prep my 3 for winter ops... I need to leave it outside in the Chicago winter for several days at a time, mostly unplugged in an airport parking lot. Just curious which type of silicone lube you used - dry type, or? I have a lot of different silicone sprays from my motorbike supply, just not sure which one would work best.

I read Rain-X works as well to help prevent ice build up or at least make it alot easier to come off

My sister-in-law is beginning to shop for a new car and is mildly interested in a Model 3. I'd planned to encourage her in that direction but recent reports of problems opening doors and closing windows and not being able to get the charge door open in cold and snowy climates have me concerned. I'd hate to push her towards a Tesla and then have her end up with a bunch of issues. Her car stays outside all winter BTW.

Are the issues real or one-offs getting reported as real?

She and my wife are from a family of gearheads. They love my S but I'll never hear the end of it if she has problems with her 3.

Thanks,
If you recommend it, tell her that many owners (I would say 80+%) end up going to the service center for one problem or other that way she is preped.

Reactions: ElectricTundra
I've had my Model S for over a year in MN and my Model 3 for 2 months. I keep my cars in a garage and I've never had issues with windows or door handles. I have had issues with the folding mirrors but I suspect that's not unique to Tesla. A Tesla is a great winter car in the sense that you can preheat it inside your garage with no exhaust to worry about. I never get into a cold car.

I see people complaining about not having the heated steering wheel but my steering wheel in my 3 is always warm when I preheat and in my Model S I don't really care for it, it gets too hot to keep on after the initial warm up period.

She and my wife are from a family of gearheads. They love my S but I'll never hear the end of it if she has problems with her,

You have the answer right there, in the sentence above. Be honest with yourself, at least to some degree, what you’re seeking here is validation, not advice.

If what they want/need is a car, then stay away from recommending a Tesla; you will indeed never hear the end of it. If they absolutely must have an electric vehicle, then you can argue that Tesla’s capabilities and range may offset all the shortcomings and the pathetic quality.

My model 3 is coming close to having been in the shop for about half the time I’ve owned it. I just wasted yet another workday driving back to the service center to pick it up. I sat in it and happily breathed in the new car fumes as opposed to the stench in the model s loaner i’ve been driving for nearly three weeks. I had an approximately 14-item long list of issues, all of them of the “remedial manufacturing” variety. I drove off and within the first 50 yards I heard the same annoying squeak that had been “repaired” twice already. I turned around and gave them the car back. Good thing I did so as the newly-painted hood was now misaligned. My frieds are now joking that I bought a 3 so I can drive all these S and X teslas.

I took one of our other cars in for service last week-end and got a random loaner (a Q5). It was clean, no grime on the windows, didn’t reek of certain kinds of food, had 4k miles on the odo, not 50k, the doors actually opened when you touched the handle and it did not squeak like a yugo.

I personally can and (at least for now) choose to put up with the crummy tesla experince. If you think they would too, go ahead and recommend it. It’s probabbly wiser though to let them make their own choice.

You are in a pickle. On the one hand you want to encourage her and others to experience Tesla, on the other hand you are trying to avoid any glitches she might experience. In the end it would be best if she was convinced this was right for her, then she would 'own' anything that comes up that can be terrifying (blank screen, hiccups etc...)

I would try to find a friend who has a model 3 and let her drive it (preferably in an empty parking lot in the snow!)
I would think the driving experience would win her after 10 minutes
The car is so solid in the snow and so much fun to drive.

I think the model 3 winter issues are wildly overblown. First taste of winter and Model 3 was fine in Maine.
Is it perftect ? NO , but the preheat issues takes care of most things.
There is no perfect car. Get a Jeep wrangler if you are worried about snow.
The performance of the car is amazing in both winter and summer.

#chibum I use "3-in-1 Professional Silicone Lubricant" which I picked up at Canadian Tire. I'm sure other sprays will work. I don't spray it directly on the rubber but on a cloth and then rub that on the rubber. Do it a few times a season.

My sister-in-law is beginning to shop for a new car and is mildly interested in a Model 3. I'd planned to encourage her in that direction but recent reports of problems opening doors and closing windows and not being able to get the charge door open in cold and snowy climates have me concerned. I'd hate to push her towards a Tesla and then have her end up with a bunch of issues. Her car stays outside all winter BTW.

Are the issues real or one-offs getting reported as real?

She and my wife are from a family of gearheads. They love my S but I'll never hear the end of it if she has problems with her 3.

Thanks,

you're going to be waiting a long time for the problem of winter to get solved in Minnesota :) the problems you're talking about are not Tesla specific that can happen to any car that's just plain old winter weather. Windows freeze sometimes door handles don't move fuel filler doors can't be opened etc. that's just par for the course.

#chibum I use "3-in-1 Professional Silicone Lubricant" which I picked up at Canadian Tire. I'm sure other sprays will work. I don't spray it directly on the rubber but on a cloth and then rub that on the rubber. Do it a few times a season.
Thanks! I'll try something similar on one side, and wipe some dry silicone/teflon on the other. Hopefully one of them will allow me to open a door when it gets very cold!

If parked outside, is there access to a charger while outside? In the cold of winter in Minnesota, range will be cut in half, charging time doubled. I wouldn’t get any EV in Minnesota climate without home or office charger, regardless of doors or windows freezing up. Super chargers and destination chargers near Minneapolis area are often full now with all the model 3s on the road.

I had a RWD model in February, so had 2 good months of winter with it. Not sure of all the freezing discussion, never saw it other than if going through car wash in supercold weather. My only problem was that handling with the 19" wheels and Tesla winter tires was not as good as an AWD car in deep snow (It was OK after the city plows the roads). We switched to P3D. We had this morning 9F when I drove to work, no problem. Of course only one datapoint.