Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendation for place to stay on Bend, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning a trip and will end up staying one night in Bend, OR. I will need to charge my Model S while there. I see three places with destination chargers:
- Sunriver
- Tetherow
- Riverhouse

Anyone with knowledge of the area care to make a recommendation? All three are roughly equally expensive places to stay. I'm leaning toward Sunriver, but there are reports on PlugShare of the HWPC being flaky. I only have a single charger, so anything over 40 Amps won't matter to me.

All three are great choices. Tetherow is the newest, Riverhouse is just completing a major remodel. They each offer a distinct experience. Are you just driving thru or do you have some activities planned? Will you be traveling alone? Need to know what you are looking for to help differentiate from the three.

• Informative
Reactions: taldric
It will be me, my wife, and our two teenage sons. We are heading out to the Cowboy Dinner Tree (Cowboy Dinner Tree Restaurant) for dinner on the night we are staying in Bend.

We will be coming from Eugene, staying one night in Bend, then heading straight back up to Seattle (home).

I am concerned about being able to get a full charge over-night for the start of the drive back home - getting to the Sandy SuperCharger.

Obviously Sunriver will provide the easiest drive after dinner in Silver Lake (beautiful drive). The Sunriver charger is a fair distance from the lodging, you are in the middle of a large resort, and I don't have complete faith in their charger. The Riverhouse or Oxford Hotel (both in Bend) would probably be the handiest and provide the easiest "in and out". If you decide on the Riverhouse be sure to ask for a remodeled, river view room. Quick summary: Sunriver large, family friendly resort, Oxford Hotel upscale, city center hotel, Riverhouse suburban property on the river, Tetherow, upscale golf resort a bit out of your way.

If it were me, and I had the time, I would leave Eugene early in the day and drive to Sisters. I would check in to the Five Pines Lodge around lunch time and get a short charge from their Destination Charger (confirming in your own mind you will be able to charge overnight). While Joulez is charging, the Three Creeks Brewery is a very short walk away and a great lunch spot. Spending a bit of time in downtown Sisters will certainly reinforce the western themed portion of your trip. Your return trip to Federal Way could be either back over Santiam Pass (Detroit Lake Supercharger) and down 126 to hwy 97 and back over Government Pass and the Sandy Supercharger.

Hope you have a great trip and update your post regarding your experience at the Cowboy Dinner Tree Restaurant.

Can't wait for that Bend supercharger to get built. It will make going to central Oregon much easier.

BTW, why not just go to Seattle through Sisters and use the Detroit Lake supercharger since it's closer to Bend (~80 miles) vs Sandy (~135 miles)? Sisters is a nice town.

I like the idea of staying in Sisters.

What about the round trip from Sisters to Silver Lake though? Maps shows me it is about 100 miles each way... I guess as long as I have a 100% charge at Sisters before setting out that should be doable. And there are some charging spots around Bend just in case I get low on the way back... You agree?

Im not worried about the trip back to Seattle (Federal Way, really, but no one knows where that is if they aren't locals). I do want make sure to give the kids some visibility into the beautiful scenery that makes Oregon amazing though, so avoiding I-5 is high on my priorities for the trip back home.

And I agree - a supercharger around Bend would be really helpful!

Btw - I had missed that there was a supercharger at Detroit Lake. Now that I know it is changing my plans.

The round trip to Silver Lake (the restaurant actually) is 206 miles. We've made the run from our house to the Shasta Supercharger (235 miles from our home) a couple of times in our 85D. It helps that you'll be in 55 mile an hour speed limits for most of the trip. It would be wise to top off your electrons in Sisters. You are correct though as you'll have a number of charging options in Sunriver and Bend if needed on your return trip. Do you have the plugshare app on your smart phone? Wife and I are PLU grads, not locals, but familiar with Federal Way.

We've stayed at all of the places mentioned except for the one in Sisters. Sisters does have the benefit of having a Chademo station if you've got the adapter.

Sunriver has 80amps by 207volts and the HPWCs are a little ways away from the Lodge. The Riverhouse and The Oxford both got their destination chargers since I've stayed there. The Oxford is quite nice but not cheap and it's right in the old downtown area of Bend next to great restaurants and fun shops. The Riverhouse is not quite as nice but they have four HPWC and is perfectly serviceable. It's not really near anything interesting that I know of. Tetherow is where I stay when I take the boys skiing. The HPWC is right nearby and is a full 80amp, 240volt system. It's a way out of town but there's.

Cowboy dinner tree is an experience and a half. The steak is fantastic but HUGE. The other option is a whole chicken. You'll likely not eat for days afterwards and take home leftovers.

Oxford Hotel, right in the middle of downtown, is a very nice boutique hotel (e.g.,you get something like 7 choices for pillow firmness and style), and you can walk around the scenic downtown instead of being out in the boonies...the valets are very tesla-aware, and will take your car and bring it back charged (they have chargers in their parking structure). You'll pay about the same as at the golf hotels...

Thanks for all the help. The place in Sisters was booked up for the night I needed, but the Oxford was available. So we will give it a try.

Oh - and I have been to the Cowboy Dinner Tree before and loved it. My entire family, especially my son, just wants to experience it now. So off we go!

Enjoy your trip to Central Oregon!!! What are the roads like (paved?) to the Cowboy Dinner Tree? I think we will give it a try but have to decide if our princess Tess (stays off most forest roads) is the right choice for the trip. THANKS!!!

As I recall the roads are all paved, but the driveway and parking are gravel. I was there before on my motorcycle, so I would have remembered a long jaunt on unpaved roads.

I already have a windshield chip from freeway traffic, and a sever scratch on the body behind the passenger side rear tire from my own stupidity. It's a car and meant to be used, in my opinion. Use will mean normal wear and tear. I'll pretty up Joulez every year or so, but I won't sweat the crap in between. Then again - she also isn't meant for rutted forestry roads, so I'll avoid them.

Enjoy your trip to Central Oregon!!! What are the roads like (paved?) to the Cowboy Dinner Tree? I think we will give it a try but have to decide if our princess Tess (stays off most forest roads) is the right choice for the trip. THANKS!!!

Yeah, what @taldric said. The roads to it are paved and are in pretty good condition (at least they were last summer). The parking lot is gravel but it's flat and there aren't any big potholes or anything. Your baby should be fine.

The Oxford is very nice. You might also try eating at the Pine Tavern-- it's a Bend institution, and now owned by Bill McCormick, co-founder of the McCormick & Schmicks chain (but owned by him personally, not the chain).
Glad to hear the Pine Tavern is still there and worthy of a recommendation! I may have washed a few dishes there in the early 90's while in college at COCC. ;)