Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendations on 22” aftermarket wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve never bought aftermarket wheels for my vehicles. However I’m considering it due to the poor range I’m getting with the stock turbines’ weight. I tried going back to 20” but the looks is important to me.
If anyone has any good recommendations on a light 22” that comes in matte black and strong doesn’t bend easily.

I’ve looked at the Tsportline but just wondering what other recommendations

Vossen/novitecs are lighter but ur really not going to get range unless u go 20s ..I’m in same boat I want range but won’t give up my 22s;)..for the price of novitec ur just not going to get that much range for it to be worth it ..

• Informative
Reactions: njhtran
I’ve never bought aftermarket wheels for my vehicles. However I’m considering it due to the poor range I’m getting with the stock turbines’ weight. I tried going back to 20” but the looks is important to me.
If anyone has any good recommendations on a light 22” that comes in matte black and strong doesn’t bend easily.

The wheels are not the issue. It is the tires. If you want range, you need to change to Low Rolling Resistance tires (which the 22s are not). Generally only available for 20 inch wheels.

Reactions: VikH
No kidding? I thought it was “unsprung weight”?

Unsprung weight matters, but it matters more for handling than it does for range on our cars. I've invested on lighter wheels, tires, brake rotors. It's made a difference, but minimally compared to aero and rolling resistance. On our cars the aerodynamics of the wheel and the tire compound are the two biggest contributing factors.

FWIW, I'm on 22" TSS wheels and DWS06 tires. The entire package weighs just about the same as the 20" OEM package. My consumption on 22" wheels has been nearly identical to my consumption on 20" OEM wheels and continental tires since riding on them; and significantly better than when I was on the OEM 22" wheels and tire package.

That being said, handling is noticeably worse than the 22" Pirelli's, but better than to 20" Conti's. Ride quality is better than the 22" Pirellis, on par with the 20" Contis. That's the sacrifice made with going with a true all season compound vs a performance oriented compound.

We have the aero covers on our 3. And we are one of the few people in the neighbor that not removed the covers and bought the center caps. Many people make looks a higher priority than efficiency.

I am one of those. I have kept my 22" wheels on my MX in the winter even though I have the stock 20" set. IMO the car looks awkward with the smaller 20" wheels. I would swap for 20" aerocap wheels during the winter when taking a road trip for better efficiency.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Unsprung weight matters, but it matters more for handling than it does for range on our cars. I've invested on lighter wheels, tires, brake rotors. It's made a difference, but minimally compared to aero and rolling resistance. On our cars the aerodynamics of the wheel and the tire compound are the two biggest contributing factors.

FWIW, I'm on 22" TSS wheels and DWS06 tires. The entire package weighs just about the same as the 20" OEM package. My consumption on 22" wheels has been nearly identical to my consumption on 20" OEM wheels and continental tires since riding on them; and significantly better than when I was on the OEM 22" wheels and tire package.

That being said, handling is noticeably worse than the 22" Pirelli's, but better than to 20" Conti's. Ride quality is better than the 22" Pirellis, on par with the 20" Contis. That's the sacrifice made with going with a true all season compound vs a performance oriented compound.

Thanks this was invaluable. You saved me thousands of dollars and countless amounts potential of aggravation

• Love
Reactions: VikH and P85_DA

If you want to remove 196lbs of static weight from your car...dm Jamie at signature wheels
96992CFF-B937-4A16-A907-17B67E48869D.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2020-9-19_16-0-10.jpeg
    upload_2020-9-19_16-0-10.jpeg
    626.2 KB · Views: 156
Yes lightweight wheels are proven to help range. It’s basically as if you’re carrying that weight and or reducing said amount of weight.

To expand on this...sprung and unsprung weight has an effect. Largely in terms of suspension characteristics which affect ride and handling more than it affects range. That being said, weight does affect mileage.

According to Save money and fuel by driving efficiently. every 100lbs affects roughly 1% of the range. That estimate is based on a ratio of 0.33% fuel economy improvement for every 1% of vehicle weight reduced due to this study: https://www.h3xed.com/blogmedia/Ricardo_FE_MPG_Study.pdf

But so does rolling resistance. According to NHTSA's paper on the Pneumatic Tire "tire rolling resistance can consume up to 25% of the energy required to drive at highway speeds"

So that seems pretty important...but how important? Well luckily they also published a "Owner Related Fuel Economy Improvements" white paper where it talks about tires affecting "15 to 27 percent of typical fuel consumption" due to rolling resistance but states "also contribute to aerodynamic and inertia losses" Seems like we're in the right place then!

Key takeaways:
  • 5-7% of rolling resistance = 1% of fuel economy gain.
  • 10% tire weight reduction = 0.1% fuel economy gain.
  • 1psi reduction in 4 tires = 0.3% fuel economy loss.
  • Silicia compound tires can reduce rolling resistance by up to 20%
So for that package - I'd be interested in seeing some tracked numbers if available. But based on the formulas we could probably create some expectations. Since the entire rolling package has to be taken into consideration. The entire rolling package has to be taken into account. So Pirelli tires are 35lbs front and 38lbs rear each. That puts the OEM package at 300lbs total on 4 corners. A 49lb reduction is then an impressive 16.3% reduction in rate; translating to an estimated 1.63% gain in fuel economy - or 5.72 -> 6 miles gained assuming a 351 mile LR+ Raven.

This is also ignoring that the vehicles they tested did not benefit from regenerative braking, which a lower mass will have less momentum and less regenerative braking. So the results are likely even less than that. But it's an impact, an impressive one. But if you can switch to a low rolling resistance tire and reduce 20%, you can gain 3-4% to more than double the effect. Bonus points if the new tire is now lighter too or has a treadwidth that's more narrow.

Now that isn't to say it doesn't matter. It certainly does and all of this can be used in combination for maximum effect. But rolling resistance really is key here. That means the stickiness of the tire and size of the contact patch.

**This is focused on range. Lightweight wheels are a better balance if you wish to retain handling as less rolling resistance is adverse to performance handling as @DCGOO pointed out.

FWIW, I'm on 22" TSS wheels and DWS06 tires.

Thanks, your post was super helpful. I'm thinking about going from the factory 20"s to aftermarket 22"s on my Model X and don't want to loose range. It sounds like 22" TSS + DWS06 are a good compromise for much better appearance, moderately improved handling, and nearly identical range. However, what about road noise, as compared to factory 20" Continental CrossContact LX Sport with ContiSilent?
It sounds like you've tried a lot of combinations. What was the quietest?

Thanks,
Drew

Thanks, your post was super helpful. I'm thinking about going from the factory 20"s to aftermarket 22"s on my Model X and don't want to loose range. It sounds like 22" TSS + DWS06 are a good compromise for much better appearance, moderately improved handling, and nearly identical range. However, what about road noise, as compared to factory 20" Continental CrossContact LX Sport with ContiSilent?
It sounds like you've tried a lot of combinations. What was the quietest?

Thanks,
Drew

I've only gone through about 6-7 sets at this point, but the DWS06 is a good compromise. The road noise is better than the OEM 22" Pirelli's but (in my opinion) worse than the OEM 20" ContiSilents. I have yet to find a package that I thought was more quiet than the 20" ContiSilents - but take it at face value. I didn't pull out a db meter, it's just subjective while driving. My wife doesn't notice a difference between the OEM 20" ContiSilents and the 22" on Conti DWS06...but she also doesn't hear the whistling sound that my side mirrors make and that drives me bananas. She did notice that the 22" OEM Pirellis were more noisy though. Hope that helps.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA