Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendations on good quality after market CF spoiler for Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SilverGS

Nov 3, 2016
Ontario
Have you had a good experience purchasing an after market trunk CF spoiler for your Model S? By good experience, I mean the quality of the part?

I know a couple of companies make them - RPMTesla comes to mind, but I'm interested in feedback from members on here on the quality of the product.

The OEM spoiler from Tesla is much more than I'm willing to pay for it, that's why I'm not considering that.

cant speak specifically to any specific brand, but for something as basic as a trunk lip spoiler or front bumper lip spoiler for previous cars Ive owned? Cheap versions from ebay have always been perfectly fine for me, at a fraction of OEM price.

cant speak specifically to any specific brand, but for something as basic as a trunk lip spoiler or front bumper lip spoiler for previous cars Ive owned? Cheap versions from ebay have always been perfectly fine for me, at a fraction of OEM price.
Just checked ebay and its very hard to pick one as the pictures are not the best and there seem to be two styles - the very conservative OEM style and an extreme/aggressive version that has a very steep incline on the top part.

No ratings or reviews by anyone......

I had 2 from RPM Tesla, they are rather inexpensive. They look well made and good CF weave, but neither of them stuck down very well, I went through a few rolls of tape and they warrantied one and sent me another and that didn't sit against the body as well either. The owner had called me to walk through applying it once as well. Super nice guy. Eventually he said that his Tesla OEM spoiler doesn't sit flat against the body either and my expectations were unreasonable.

Then bought this one from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FO0NBTC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It sits better on the body of my car, but there are a couple spots of bad CF weave. From 10 feet away you wouldn't notice.

I'd rather have a few spots of bad CF weave then part of the spoiler lifted up off the body a 1/4 inch.

I can go find pictures of all this, if anyone really cares. :)

I had 2 from RPM Tesla, they are rather inexpensive. They look well made and good CF weave, but neither of them stuck down very well, I went through a few rolls of tape and they warrantied one and sent me another and that didn't sit against the body as well either. The owner had called me to walk through applying it once as well. Super nice guy. Eventually he said that his Tesla OEM spoiler doesn't sit flat against the body either and my expectations were unreasonable.

Then bought this one from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FO0NBTC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It sits better on the body of my car, but there are a couple spots of bad CF weave. From 10 feet away you wouldn't notice.

I'd rather have a few spots of bad CF weave then part of the spoiler lifted up off the body a 1/4 inch.

I can go find pictures of all this, if anyone really cares. :)
Thanks for the feedback! Please post some pictures when you can. Thanks.

I had 2 from RPM Tesla, they are rather inexpensive. They look well made and good CF weave, but neither of them stuck down very well
Even the one that comes from the factory doesn’t stick well, at least mine didn’t. It was coming up at both ends when I picked up my MS. I ended up removing it when PPF was installed. Service said they would install another spoiler but I didn’t want to mess with it.

Thanks for the feedback! Please post some pictures when you can. Thanks.

Here are the problems with the amazon one, small finish cracks. I guess it's not "problems with the CF weave" but more in the finish.

IMG_4719.jpg IMG_4718.jpg IMG_4717.jpg IMG_4716.jpg

Reactions: Iceh8r
Even the one that comes from the factory doesn’t stick well, at least mine didn’t. It was coming up at both ends when I picked up my MS. I ended up removing it when PPF was installed. Service said they would install another spoiler but I didn’t want to mess with it.
Interesting and dissappointing I guess

Here are the problems with the amazon one, small finish cracks. I guess it's not "problems with the CF weave" but more in the finish.
Thanks. That would annoy me.

This is the first RPM one that I had. It was pulling up off the body in the middle of the spoiler towards the front of the car. So there was really no way to "tape it down" because you had to push down where my finger was and the adhesive wouldn't hold it down.

The second one was pulling up on the back of the spoiler. Easier to tape down and get it to stick, but the tape never held it for long.

Spoiler seperating from car.jpg IMG_1432.JPG IMG_E1429.JPG IMG_1425(1).JPG Spoiler Bend location 2.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS
I am surprised this is not as popular a topic thread. Has anyone got any experience with the two CF spoilers offered by Vivid Racing: the MXP wet carbon (or matte) spoiler or the Prior Design PDS-1000? Both look pretty cool, but hard to tell from the limited photos. I've seen the ones by Tsportline, which look boring, and the one by Revozport, which look odd with the cut back tail.

Here's the pic of the MXP:
upload_2020-10-29_15-54-51.png

And a pic of the PDS-1000
upload_2020-10-29_15-56-9.png

I believe the reason why there are issues with the spoiler is because the trunks are not all the same. Tesla is known for misaligned panels and I would expect that each trunk part for every car is not identical which it should be. That said, I have a RPM one and going into this, my biggest concern was the lift from the panel. Fortunately, I am close to RPM and took my car there to get installed and not sure if I got lucky with my trunk but its been on for 1 year and still no lift. I'm happy with the product

Note, my friend just picked up a model Y performance and he noticed a 1" lift from the OEM spoiler right out the gate. My opinion is that OEM or aftermarket, the issue lies in the trunk itself and not the spoiler.

I hope this helps.

I am surprised this is not as popular a topic thread. Has anyone got any experience with the two CF spoilers offered by Vivid Racing: the MXP wet carbon (or matte) spoiler or the Prior Design PDS-1000? Both look pretty cool, but hard to tell from the limited photos. I've seen the ones by Tsportline, which look boring, and the one by Revozport, which look odd with the cut back tail.

Here's the pic of the MXP:
View attachment 603580

And a pic of the PDS-1000
View attachment 603581

That is nice! I like the original T-sportline also (posted here already), but its their old one. They discontinued it and have a new one thats more of a lip. But the price....

I got an inexpensive one off ebay and was impressed with the great fitment and oem look. But after a year and a half on the car, the glossy finish started to yellow and crack - now its peeling off in a few parts... its a shame that the factory uses such a bad lacquer - cant imagine what the savings are vs a good quality UV automotive lacquer... anyway has anybody had a good experience from or amazon sellers that are sub the $200 mark?

Thanks all for inputs. If anyone has any pics of their aftermarket spoiler, that would be helpful for anyone thinking about making a change. I a have the Performance Ludicrous but I find the OEM spoiler to be a bit understated. I also am looking for something a bit more pronounced than the T Sportline product.

Agree on the fit issue with spoilers. It probably is the contour of the trunk. My OEM spoiler is lifted at both ends about a cm. The Tesla rep said it's common. So did the wrap company that applied my PPF.