Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended annual service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of angst in this thread for not knowing any details...

The lack of Right to Repair is real. Post warranty or ESA, Tesla will have owners by their b@lls or female equivalent for many servicing and even parts.

We can't even pick major parts up from the scrap yard and install them as I believe the car will reject them without a authorization from Tesla.

For this reason, I am not willing to be a guinea pig because I tend to hold on to vehicles as long as they're not money pits.

Eight years of worry free ownership (because of ESA) is too short in my book.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Dang! I forgot to take my S in for service. Again!

Personal opinion here: My S has not needed service, nor the S before it, in near 120,000 miles. I don't count tires or wipers as "needed service". Brakes are hardly used at all, unlike some "European sports cars", and there are only a tiny percentage of moving parts compared to those oil burning, polluting gas cars our there. SERVICE is something that some owners think they need because their last Beemer or Benz needed service several times a year. See that picture over to the left? 62,000 miles. No service.

MANY times "service" can be done by a local repair shop. Tesla can't exclude your car from warranties unless it can be proved the lack of "service" has caused a problem.

I am not an owner like yourself but I understand there is no need to have your S serviced to keep your original four year warranty intact. Servicing is only required for those who plan to purchase the ESA and keep the car for at least seven years ( maybe sell a lemon on the eight while it is still covered).

drive unit would be covered under the 8yr/unlimited.

also FYI, i dont have the annual services done on my P85 and i have the extended warranty and I have brought the car in a few times without any issues.

EDIT: i meant i dont have their recommended annual service done but I have taken care of the important parts of it

How many S owners have done like you? Most would toss the car before the four years are up. Tesla owe you for your support.

For M3's, I am almost certain ESA wil be rejected in all but the most optioned ones. Tesla will not be able to afford repairing these in large volumes.

I read the language in my US Bank lease below that I am theoretically required to perform annual services as part of the mfr recommended maintenance or I could theoretically be held responsible by USB for damages, even though it would be covered under warranty since annual maintenance is not a requirement for keeping the warranty intact?

$550 to change the fluid on the drive unit seems predatory.

"You agree to have the Vehicle serviced and repaired according to the manufacturer's recommendations and to ensure that the warranty, if any, remains valid."

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    23.7 KB · Views: 49
You aren't required to have Tesla do the work though. Besides for the coolant change and possibly the drive unit fluid everything else can be DIYed or done by an Indy shop. Those two things you can request Tesla to do piece meal and save some money.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
You aren't required to have Tesla do the work though. Besides for the coolant change and possibly the drive unit fluid everything else can be DIYed or done by an Indy shop. Those two things you can request Tesla to do piece meal and save some money.

can someone chime in how much these things cost individually? i've arrived at the same conclusion as you when manual became available.